Can I charge a Fridge (Alpicool 50L or similar) from a power station?

Hi all- hopefully a very quick, obvious question but one I can't seem to find an answer anywhere to.

For various reasons, for the next year I intend to use a power station (allpower S2000 or similar) to provide power to the camper. I'd like to install a fridge but that will likely be the only electrics apart from phone chargers and some standard LED lights. I'm aware of the substantial limitations and some of the benefits, so I'm content for now setting this up.

What I can't find an answer to though- do the standard "12v camper fridge leads" like below just plug straight onto the back of the fridge? Or is there wiring to do?

I ask because whilst its obvious the 12v socket end will work with the power station, I can't find a video/article detailing plugging the lead into the back of the fridge. Given these fridges are usually wired in permanently, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being reaaaaally stupid but assuming Fridge-lead-power station is just a simple plug and play job.

Someone put me out of my misery please!
1710884642585.png

Im confused now. If it's hard wired then you can only use whatever plug is on the other end, 3 pin in 240 or cig adapter in 12v.
My alpicool came with 2 leads that are plug in, a bit like your pic. One is for 12v and the other for 240v with the correct plug on the other end. I'm pretty sure the 240 has a step down built in so the fridge is running at 12v with either connection.

It will depend on the fridge you choose. A built in style fridge will have screw terminals or flying leads.
A portable style fridge will probably come with cigarette lighter style plug connector.

Which fridge are you going to get ?

Pete

Apologies the confusion is probably my fault! I’m planning on the side opening, traditional camper fridge style one. This kind of one: 0DA47E08-81D8-4491-8235-817E0C2A546D.png

I'm pretty sure that sort of fridge comes with wires out of the back which you will need to extend and add a suitable connector for your power station. This sort of fridge is usually wired permanently to a leisure battery.

Pete

You've got a couple of options, one would be to wire the fridge into a 12v cigarette lighter plug, the 12v socket on the S2000 is 10a which is 120w - that fridge is the same as mine and it has a 15a fuse with a rated power of 60w so you should be ok.

The other option is to buy an AC adapter like the MPS35 (make sure to get the right one)

That would then allow you to use one of the 3 pin plugs on the power station.

That lead you've pictured won't work. The fridge power cables are attached with spade connections along with other wires too the back of the fridge.

It's likely to be problematic as your compressor will be running about 1/3 to 1/4 of the time but as and when the thermostat needs it. But you'll need to keep the power pack "on" all the time and most of them have quite a high idle load so it's not going to make efficient use of the energy in your power pack and there is a risk it might turn itself off to energy save. Power packs don't really have direct access to the battery itself.

If you have the portable type of Alpicool with it's own battery pack you would be better off as you could charge it for a few hours from the power pack and make better use of the energy.

Building a power box like @Dellmassive has done might be an alternative, just a toolbox with a big battery and associated connectors rather than a full power pack.

Thanks all- once again this forum saves me time and money:D I'll mull over options and see what I come up with- mainly I'll be preoccupied building furniture for the next couple of weekends- we're getting there!

Back