Eibach Sport Comfort Coilbound?

Head Gasket

Just had the Eibach Sport Comfort 35-40mm lowering springs fitted to our T6 T28 camper as it had the 'high at the front' syndrome. Big improvement in handling on the drive home, and the van now sits level. It's not noticeably lower at the back, and I didn't want it to be - just wanted it level. I had a closer look at the installation the next day and was alarmed by the appearance of the rear springs which look largely coilbound. I've subsequently seen on this forum that it's quite common with replacement/lowering springs, but I thought I'd share some pictures and see if I could get a second opinion, particularly with regard to the Eibach kit - I realise other spring kits may be wound differently. This is with the van sitting on its wheels but not loaded up for going away. Thoughts, anyone? Should I be concerned?

20210203_143046.jpg

20210203_143237.jpg

I worked as an engineer at Eibach in the late 90's - 2000s. Its not a great design because the active coils are very few but given the package space it's sometimes the only option.
All their kits/springs are TUV approved which means they have to go through safety and durability testing to be allowed. I wouldn't be concerned if it was my van in fact I'm thinking of getting some.

Thanks Littleblackflash, that does give some reassurance that nothing's amiss. I guess the ride height adjuster at the top eats into the available space but, as you say, they know what they're doing. I like your avatar :thumbsup: I sprint and hillclimb a Westfield so am reasonably familiar with what is right/wrong with suspension and springs hence looking at my van springs with a critical eye, but at the same time I realise that the van application is a whole different area outside my knowledge. Thanks again :thumbsup:

The spring isn’t coping well with the camper weight. … ?? I am surprised. There was improvement in ride however ???

According to the Eibach web site this isnt a eibach catalogue part. Probably explains why it doesn’t work well. I don’t think eibach would sell a kit like this if it goes coil bound. Maybe it’s another B14 story made by people who think it will work well ? .as I have said many times you can’t use height adjustable set ups to carry more weight , they are designed to adjust height only. Maybe Chillijam can give more insight or explain where these kits are coming from ?

According to the Eibach web site this isnt a eibach catalogue part. Probably explains why it doesn’t work well. I don’t think eibach would sell a kit like this if it goes coil bound. Maybe it’s another B14 story made by people who think it will work well ? .as I have said many times you can’t use height adjustable set ups to carry more weight , they are designed to adjust height only. Maybe Chillijam can give more insight or explain where these kits are coming from ?
They have a TUV cert though

Interesting to see that. Sadly the quoted axle weights are not correct in a camper converted vehicle. And it also states the certificate is null and void if the vehicle is modified from standard??? Don’t think it’s worth the paper it’s written on in a camper to be honest. And this is the reason the springs are coil bound.
There is quite a lot of BS coming from the company making these kits ( it’s the same people who build the B14 I think ). They claim a TUV cert. for that kit. But in that certificate it states that the B14 is only certified if the kit is fitted with longer drop links and of course, most people selling that kit don’t supply them

we are developing a similar kit specifically for campers. As part of our extensive. Evo Technik range of springs . Currently we have a big enough range of springs to do a camper with out the rear height adjustability , but if we aren’t fitting them in our. Store it’s hard for us to guess which one will get the perfect height , the concept of a rear height adjust is good if it can manage the weight and co e in at sensible money , Our spring manufacturer is looking at these kits at the moment

Interesting to see that. Sadly the quoted axle weights are not correct in a camper converted vehicle. And it also states the certificate is null and void if the vehicle is modified from standard??? Don’t think it’s worth the paper it’s written on in a camper to be honest. And this is the reason the springs are coil bound.
There is quite a lot of BS coming from the company making these kits ( it’s the same people who build the B14 I think ). They claim a TUV cert. for that kit. But in that certificate it states that the B14 is only certified if the kit is fitted with longer drop links and of course, most people selling that kit don’t supply them
The axle weights are the plated axle weight, they do not change if the van is empty or fully loaded - they are the maximum allowable axle weight - 1720kg. I've just checked my T6.1 Sportline manual, and all vehicles have the same maximum rear axle load of 1720kg, so that spring is correct for the vehicle, and definitely within a T28 capacity unless the vehicle is over weight.

Next, The spring is also progressively wound, so it will have coils which touch before others, that's how they work, softer wound to take the initial load, getting firmer as you compress. With that when you load the van up towards the max axle weight you will get what is seen above. The spring has room to travel, but obviously less as its compressed by the weight. But it is not coil bound, The top and bottom coils have room to move.

Also worth noting these are special springs, made for the German Distributor :- Deimann Fahrwerktechnik GmbH & Co. KG

They have Transporter HQ listed as a UK partner.

Fitted @ THQ Nov 2019, Sport Comfort 35-40mm lowering. (Picture today) T6 Highline T28 2016 Camper fitout

4E484D04-1ACE-422B-9502-9403C83ACBDA.jpeg

Also worth noting these are special springs, made for the German Distributor :- Deimann Fahrwerktechnik GmbH & Co. KG

They have Transporter HQ listed as a UK partner.
I am aware who distributes this kit, and the manufacturer in Germany ….
The same people who make the B14 and the Twin adjust project - All of which have flawed design unfortunately.

As I said we have a top spring manufacturer looking at this issue at the moment and that height adjustable rear kit isn’t coping with the weight of a camper. Regardless of the original manufacturers plated weights. . If that camper was loaded to the max. Axle weight that spring would be coil bound. Normal camper conversions. Are 400 plus kilos. Add another 400 to that van and that spring will be flat Out.
Do you not think that if it was a good idea that Eibach themselves would add it to their extensive catalogue. …??? They supply tons of stuff to VW as a part and accessory. BUT another this kit ..??

Do you not think that if it was a good idea that Eibach themselves would add it to their extensive catalogue. …??? They supply tons of stuff to VW as a part and accessory. BUT another this kit ..??
I'd guess because they have entered in an agreement to produce the springs for someone, this also means they don't add them to the catalogue, as the market requirement is being met.

I'd also say given Eibach put their company name on it, and aren't hiding behind a "white label" product, they are more than happy with the spring function - which as a "top spring manufacturer" supplying "Tons of stuff to VW as a part and accessory" is good enough for most, including me.

I'd guess because they have entered in an agreement to produce the springs for someone, this also means they don't add them to the catalogue, as the market requirement is being met.

I'd also say given Eibach put their company name on it, and aren't hiding behind a "white label" product, they are more than happy with the spring function - which as a "top spring manufacturer" supplying "Tons of stuff to VW as a part and accessory" is good enough for most, including me.
I guess we can gracefully agree to disagree on this one. , i Have 2 vans booked in next week to remove them so our limited exposure to them isnt good.
we are also developing a similar kit but we will be catering to camper weight vans, Cali and caravelles mainly.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOG
I guess we can gracefully agree to disagree on this one. , i Have 2 vans booked in next week to remove them so our limited exposure to them isnt good.
we are also developing a similar kit but we will be catering to camper weight vans, Cali and caravelles mainly.
Steve, is your kit fully developed and available now? I have the Koni special active shocks and stock springs (not bothered by lowering just want max comfort).
I was looking for better springs but not sure there are any for my requirements?

Steve, is your kit fully developed and available now? I have the Koni special active shocks and stock springs (not bothered by lowering just want max comfort).
I was looking for better springs but not sure there are any for my requirements?
If you dont want to lower it , the standard springs are the best route forward , if its a T32 then fit T28 rear springs ( if you dont carry weight ) , that is as comfy as you can get
steve

The spring isn’t coping well with the camper weight. … ?? I am surprised. There was improvement in ride however ???
I have I believe a similar spring in our t32 kombi, what sort of load do you think they are capable of? I was hoping in the near future to just upgrade the dampers to the Koni’s

The way they look i would have said standard van weight no camper .
Hi there our "Definition kit" as we are calling it is ready and available

steve

Back