EGR insufficient flow

cleave14

T6 Pro
Hi All, I've got the dreaded EGR insufficient flow fault. I've had the EML on for a month or so now. One issue was NOx and the sensor has been changed which has cured that, I now can't afford to change the EGR just yet. I know this is a string length question, but has any one out there driven with this fault for some time? Cheers

I’ve got the 102 engine and I’m pretty sure the software is up to date. Vw dealer did the adblue update last year

Hi All, I've got the dreaded EGR insufficient flow fault. I've had the EML on for a month or so now. One issue was NOx and the sensor has been changed which has cured that, I now can't afford to change the EGR just yet. I know this is a string length question, but has any one out there driven with this fault for some time? Cheers
I drove mine for about a month before VW could fit me in for a flush, in that time the light reset then came back on. When they do the flush they also change the erg pipe for a new design, there is a great explanation of the process on here somewhere with some good pictures, I would definitely try a flush and change of pipe before changing the erg - VW should do it as a goodwill gesture as its a known fault even if out of warranty

Excessive running with a MIL or engine light on can cause a blocked DPF and an expensive repair. (On a diesel)

So have it look at sooner rather than later.

Some issues can be resolved with a good long drive on a motorway if you do frequent short drive cycles.

Sometimes a manual flush is needed.

On bad cases parts..... Eg dpf will need replacing.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I’ll see what the local dealer says when we get back from our hols.

We’re now on a run from Bristol to London and I’ve got the adblue range drop to 650mes. This was supposed to have been sorted when the NOX sensor was changed. So annoying. Weirdly, it isn’t instructing me to ad adblue. I know it’s full and the van’s adblue level sensor still recognises that.

I've had all the above mate have swapped the egr and inlet manifold and both egr pipes still get insufficient flow hoping that the cooler maybe partially blocked as that wasn't replaced going to try and manually clean that .I also have the adblue fault like yourself hard to narrow it down as it's intermittent feel the injector maybe on its way out . modern engines are crap

Yeah it’s a total pain. I’m starting to think that I’ll get it all sorted and look for an alternative vehicle. I can’t really justify running a vehicle that I know I’m going to keep having to fork out 1000s on. I accept that running any vehicle is expensive but this is ridiculous. My old T4 on the other hand…

Hi All,
on my T6 204ps my 2017, at 77k km I got engine light on and error P0401, insufficient EGR flow.
EGR cooler and pipes were half clogged by carbon residues and were replaced by a VW garage.
Reading in the forum, it seems this issue is exacerbated when oil consumption is high.
Oil consumption in my van was about 1L over 10k km when new, now it's increased to 1L over 6k km.
So I suspect the EGR clogging problem could come back again, even sooner than the next 77k...

I have some questions, if some expert could kindly answer:

1. can I exclude an oil leak from the turbo charger? From the scheme below it seems that the EGR system receives the exhaust gases directly from the exhaust manifold, not from the turbo downstream.
1697907129458.png

2. Can I assume that the burnt oil is getting into the EGR only from bad oil rings and/or faulty PCV valve?
3. How many hours does it take to check/replace the PCV valve?
4. what is the logical sequence of checks that I should carry out to find the root cause of oil consumption?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Cheers!

Check how much blow-by pressure is present at the oil filler cap with the engine ticking over. Compare with another 204ps if possible.

I would get an oil analysis done, this will indicate the level of engine wear, oil viscosity (fuel dilution) and soot content (blow-by).

I would put an oil trap between the PCV and the induction, these are available on Ebay. This will show if you have a faulty PCV, it doesn’t need to be a permanent installation.

If the PCV is OK I would get a compression test carried out to check for cylinder bore wear / piston ring failure.

IMO it’s likely to be a combination of bore / ring wear creating more crankcase blow-by than the PCV can handle.

It may also be one or both turbochargers failing, the small turbo’ seems the most susceptible.

There are a steady stream of 204ps engines failing in this way.

Very clear and prompt reply, thank you!

Regarding the turbochargers:
I think that if the oil is leaking from there, it should not influence the soot build-up in the EGR system because apparently it’s upstream from the turbo, while it should give problems of DPF delta pressure or frequent regenerations (before 200 km), which I didn’t notice.
Am I wrong?

Thanks again!

it should not influence the soot build-up in the EGR system because apparently it’s upstream from the turbo, while it should give problems of DPF delta pressure or frequent regenerations (before 200 km), which I didn’t notice.
It will because the oil could be entering from the compressor via the charge air cooler into the engine, this is then partially combusted at best and the soot is fed to the EGR and DPF.
If you delay a repair the DPF maybe beyond re-generation which will increase the exhaust back pressure increasing exhaust gas temperature / back pressure and act against the turbocharger oil pressure. All bad and the route to catastrophic engine damage.

Last edited:
It will because the oil could be entering from the compressor via the charge air cooler into the engine, this is then partially combusted at best and the soot is fed to the EGR and DPF.
If you delay a repair the DPF maybe beyond re-generation which will increase the exhaust back pressure increasing exhaust gas temperature / back pressure and act against the turbocharger oil pressure. All bad and the route to catastrophic engine damage.
Uuh… scaring
Can I detect oil leakage from compressor by opening the high pressure intake pipeline and checking oil presence on the internal hose surface?
In which point should I open the intake circuit in case?

I've got the same on non adblue 140. I wasn't very confident of the garage I took it too as per warranty company, but prob look to put into the stealers for a new egr and pipework instead. Only £1200!!¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Apparently the warranty company won't cover if its blocked with soot.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can I detect oil leakage from compressor by opening the high pressure intake pipeline and checking oil presence on the internal hose surface?
There will always be some oil in the hose so expect it to be wet. You obviously can’t run the engine with the hose off so there’s not much point.
I would do what I suggested in post #10 in that order.

There will always be some oil in the hose so expect it to be wet. You obviously can’t run the engine with the hose off so there’s not much point.
I would do what I suggested in post #10 in that order.
I will do what you suggest.
Thank you DXX, great help, much appreciated!

I drove mine for about a month before VW could fit me in for a flush, in that time the light reset then came back on. When they do the flush they also change the erg pipe for a new design, there is a great explanation of the process on here somewhere with some good pictures, I would definitely try a flush and change of pipe before changing the erg - VW should do it as a goodwill gesture as its a known fault even if out of warranty
I have had the insufficient flow problem and changed the EGR at 20,000 miles. I then needed it flushing again a few months later and now it needs flushing again 5 months later. The dealer reps of VW are saying as the EGR that got replaced is not faulty I need to pay for flushing again, which I did 5 months ago. They will not even admit this is a known fault which is really insulting as it seems to be quite common on the forums. I don’t know what to do next. Feeling a little hopeless. They are suggesting as I have driven 7000 miles since last flush that could be enough to need it again though EGR was replaced 14 months ago. I drive mostly long distances and very little short journeys.

Back