EGR Delete

So did they map out the EGR and the ADBLUE??

No, they were going to but when I arrived to collect the van they said that they couldn’t delete the Adblue on that engine, if they did it wouldn’t run.

I hope it all works out for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I’ll update if there are any problems.

why map out EGR and AdBlue they are unrelated systems?

Mapping out the Adblue was unrelated to the EGR problem, it was just that the garage said it was an unreliable system and they could delete it therefore removing the possibility of expensive repairs in the years to come.
I thought why not, might as well while it’s there.
They assured me that there would be no problems come MOT time.

Is the DPF regeneration still taking place?

Yes, one started this afternoon funnily enough.

So was it just software or did they add a shim too?

Not sure to be honest, I was going to ask when I collected the van but clean forgot about it.

Hi, my 2018 camper conversion self-build had the egr light come on at just 1 year old. It was flushed then but now out of warranty it comes on every 2 or 3 days. I use a tester to check the fault and wipe it. I have used several fuel additives, 3 x egr intake spray, use super diesel every other fill up, and now decided to go for an egr delete. The gent can remap it at the same time for more power or more economy.

Is a delete the answer to my issues or will it cause more issues in the future?
Will a remap affect the reliability?
What would you go for, power or economy or leave well alone?

Thanks

Hi, my 2018 camper conversion self-build had the egr light come on at just 1 year old. It was flushed then but now out of warranty it comes on every 2 or 3 days. I use a tester to check the fault and wipe it. I have used several fuel additives, 3 x egr intake spray, use super diesel every other fill up, and now decided to go for an egr delete. The gent can remap it at the same time for more power or more economy.

Is a delete the answer to my issues or will it cause more issues in the future?
Will a remap affect the reliability?
What would you go for, power or economy or leave well alone?

Thanks
If you want opinions on a remap it depends on the engine code (type), four letters.

Guys, I have the EGR blind removed from the Ecu, and the unfortunate update undone. The car works evenly, the DPf does not clog.
After changing the oil, the oil remains clean for a long time. And the car has good power, better than after the update.

Guys, I have the EGR blind removed from the Ecu, and the unfortunate update undone. The car works evenly, the DPf does not clog.
After changing the oil, the oil remains clean for a long time. And the car has good power, better than after the update.
That's your invitation to COP26 in the bin!
Sadly VW have left some owners with little choice.

Who did the work? I don’t think we’re likely to see any of the ‘big’ boys such as Pendle or Revo offering this service and I can’t think of many other tuners I’d trust to remove the emissions throttling from my van. There’s obviously a moral issue here, but as above, VW are almost forcing people down this route with so many egr and dpf faults. But also VW are from alone in having egr and dpf issues, the Jaguar and Land Rover owners forums are all having the same plight.

Come to the table!

No, they were going to but when I arrived to collect the van they said that they couldn’t delete the Adblue on that engine, if they did it wouldn’t run.

Thanks, I’ll update if there are any problems.

Mapping out the Adblue was unrelated to the EGR problem, it was just that the garage said it was an unreliable system and they could delete it therefore removing the possibility of expensive repairs in the years to come.
I thought why not, might as well while it’s there.
They assured me that there would be no problems come MOT time.

Yes, one started this afternoon funnily enough.

Not sure to be honest, I was going to ask when I collected the van but clean forgot about it.
Any update on your EGR delete @Ali-G …. how’s your van running?

All good at the moment, no problems, I haven’t noticed any difference.
Engine warms up at the same speed, fuel consumption unchanged and still regenerating the same as before.
Thanks…. good to know. :thumbsup:

Seriously contemplating an egr delete, not worried about the dpf so much.

Do I gamble the last 12 months of my 5 year warranty against an egr delete….

If (when) my egr kicks up the code I reckon I'm getting it coded out now instead of replacing it. I see there are shim kits available but I'm wondering if these are even necessary if it's just programmed out?

Ok my histological is that last year 2020 timing belt / water pump was done ... The VW clinic said that this was the issue and would clear fault with egr. I went ahead with this for two reasons. 75k on clock bought second from van monster (I don't recommend). Any how as I said the "service engineer" said it would sort out the egr issue also. I was learning at this stage so I had trust in VW. He said possibly van was driven hard.

So the whilst there bushing and spring was changed in rear axle. I got both done as I feel as a pair is better then one. And cost was minimal to do two as one. Never saw a spring break previously but it happens! Makes a real rattlesnake noise when you're driving. Must have broken that week. Couldn't hear anything due me been deaf, I read lips etcetera.

timing belt and pump changes full service done, the egr code stayed clear for three months then on some city driving after lots of motorways it comes on ...

Back in to vw.. its fine and we shall delete the error code. same again three weeks later, same same. Then again so I brought it to another VW garage they recommend a new belt and water pump! then they look at the computer and penny drops on technican's face. Yeah change of approach. It needs xyz.
Ok, In between I've learned and read and studied the forums all of them. What the hell the egr is where what where...Went to garages asked questions takes to people.
Then I spoke to one guy in his own back shed small name garage and we talked for a ten minutes. He spoke I spoke and we agreed. Obviously I was checking his knowledge out. Change the complete valve. I agreed
So he told me straight out what he thought was the problem. valve is stuck partly closed with crud. Yea I just got my egr complete replacement. Cost me 800+ euro. Got code cleared. And drove the sh1t out of it over 400 miles one day and then three days of continuous city driving. I'm impressed to say the least . Power is up, less fuel been burned. Crazy stuff overall. VW garages have a lot to say for them selfs. I'm happy with the van but never will I service it in VW again.

There's "skilled and qualified' verses experienced, interested, skilled and qualified. I'll be taking apart the old egr and will put photos online soon. that little garage has my future business
Hope this helps others.

Reactions: CAB
Ok my histological is that last year 2020 timing belt / water pump was done ... The VW clinic said that this was the issue and would clear fault with egr. I went ahead with this for two reasons. 75k on clock bought second from van monster (I don't recommend). Any how as I said the "service engineer" said it would sort out the egr issue also. I was learning at this stage so I had trust in VW. He said possibly van was driven hard.

So the whilst there bushing and spring was changed in rear axle. I got both done as I feel as a pair is better then one. And cost was minimal to do two as one. Never saw a spring break previously but it happens! Makes a real rattlesnake noise when you're driving. Must have broken that week. Couldn't hear anything due me been deaf, I read lips etcetera.

timing belt and pump changes full service done, the egr code stayed clear for three months then on some city driving after lots of motorways it comes on ...

Back in to vw.. its fine and we shall delete the error code. same again three weeks later, same same. Then again so I brought it to another VW garage they recommend a new belt and water pump! then they look at the computer and penny drops on technican's face. Yeah change of approach. It needs xyz.
Ok, In between I've learned and read and studied the forums all of them. What the hell the egr is where what where...Went to garages asked questions takes to people.
Then I spoke to one guy in his own back shed small name garage and we talked for a ten minutes. He spoke I spoke and we agreed. Obviously I was checking his knowledge out. Change the complete valve. I agreed
So he told me straight out what he thought was the problem. valve is stuck partly closed with crud. Yea I just got my egr complete replacement. Cost me 800+ euro. Got code cleared. And drove the sh1t out of it over 400 miles one day and then three days of continuous city driving. I'm impressed to say the least . Power is up, less fuel been burned. Crazy stuff overall. VW garages have a lot to say for them selfs. I'm happy with the van but never will I service it in VW again.

There's "skilled and qualified' verses experienced, interested, skilled and qualified. I'll be taking apart the old egr and will put photos online soon. that little garage has my future business
Hope this helps others.
No mechanic could possibly believe that there is any link between a defective EGR unit and a timing belt / water pump renewal.

I should state to my defense I'm no expert and only have experience in electrical engineering. So diesel engine optimization and know how is not my baby's. I'm not sure what intention the change of belt and pump change would achieve with a egr either, as I said previously I'm a novice on diesel. But I learned after reading the articles here and other forms I'm in process thinking that anyone with out a idea is getting fleeced. Possibly it's a money racket or dealership issue. I've no idea.
Finally it was offered to me by small garage to blank for 200 euro or exchange the unit. I did the later. It will be interesting to see what others think and if the engine light of doom reappears.

Back