Ecoflow Firmware Bug killed my Device. Woeful customer care!

I shall see what response I get following my request to repair the unit at my costs, but I may resort to that.

Buzzin. So what exactly did you do? Find the old firmware and if so, where from?

Buzzin. So what exactly did you do? Find the old firmware and if so, where from?
I didn't need to mess with the IOT button.
I found an old android which had an old version of the app. It just connected to the unit and the firmware was available to download and apply again. It just worked.... first time! Took me 5 minutes!

Amazing.

That's well good.

Happy days

These were the instructions i was going to follow, but i uncharacteristically read through it first and skipped to stage 4 as I found an old Android with an old App.
I found I didn't have to follow the below instructions, because the old app just told me the unit needed a firmware update and it just worked with no hassle at all.
I remain pissed off with Ecoflow. Surely this is something their customer support people could have assisted me with!

Here are the instructions that I was going to follow from reddit.com. (For anyone else that has a more involved problem that i turned out to have):

Step 0). Verify the unit shows up in your app still, via bluetooth. I do not recommend following these steps if it doesn't. You should be able to still operate the inverter and 12v circuit as normal. The USB ports, screen, and IOT WiFi won't be functioning, unfortunately. Unplug all appliances from your EcoFlow unit.

Step 1). Hold the IOT Reset button for about 30 to 45 seconds to attempt resetting any existing WiFi configuration.

Step 2). Let the unit take a break for about 30 minutes. Enjoy your drink, snack, etc. This is pretty stressful already, and the unit needs to time-out from the failed firmware update. Yes, even IOT devices can get frustrated just like you probably are. You'll know when the device is ready for it's next step if you can hold the main power button to turn off the inverter and 12v circuit. Feel free to follow steps 3 and 4 in the meantime.

Step 3). Configure your temporary WiFi hotspot. Try to use only alphanumeric characters WITHOUT spaces, special characters, underscores, or dashes. Usually, IOT devices don't like that; Especially when they are on barebones firmware, or in firmware recovery mode. Try to set your WiFi to "tempwifi" and "password1234". Make sure you have 2.4GHz or "Extend compatibility" modes enabled. Try to disable 5GHz if possible (to make things less confusing).

Step 4). Get the old version of the app (sorry iPhone users). Get your android 5+ device, and uninstall the current version of the EcoFlow app; You need to install an older version of it. You can search the internet for "APKPURE EcoFlow 3.1.0.27 APK download" or your own search query to get a suitable archaeological find. Try not to install any shady store or game apps on the side. You might need to enable developer settings, unknown sources. Google play might throw a warning that it's a sus app. Make sure you don't install anything you don't want to, and Virustotal is your friend. Once it's working, attempt to log in with your account. If you can't, there might be a guest mode you can use.

Step 5). Have you followed step 2?: You can turn it back on, or not. I'm not your boss. Using your android 5+ device, open the EcoFlow app and follow all of it's prompts to reconnect the unit to WiFi. It should involve a special power off-on procedure, including another IOT reset. Connect your android 5+ device to the EcoFlow's Wifi broadcast, then configure it for the hotspot. You should be able to verify your EcoFlow unit is connected if you see "LWIP" connected to your hotspot. Congrats, you got WiFi working again!

Step 6). Reconnecting temporarily: Via the old version of the app, attempt to connect your EcoFlow unit to your EcoFlow account, and apply any available firmware updates. Once it's connected properly, you should be able to follow the next step.

Step 7). Getting everything up-to-date: Go to the google play store, and update your EcoFlow app to the latest version. Open the app, and sign in. You should see your unit there. Apply any available firmware updates as normal. The screen should come back to life with an "UP" being shown! Congrats! Be patient and try not to mess this up again!

Step 8). Getting settings back to normal: Using the latest EcoFlow app, skim through all the settings of your unit. With the firmware update, there may be some settings that will have been set invalid. Make sure to reconfigure everything so that it looks okay in the app. You can re-assign the unit to a different WiFi network afterwards, if you want.

Step 9). Throw a party, and reset your hotspot settings. Enjoy the rest of your day, or whatever you want to do. This took me a while to figure out on my own, and got pretty convoluted. You are welcome for a write up on how to fix the (probably niche) firmware update problem. :)

PS. Your app may complain of the WiFi chip being out of date, but I'm pretty sure that it will self-update once it gets out of LWIP or "recovery" mode.

That was some lucky break having the old version on another phone because I had a search for the older APK but was strugging. You are now officially the T6 ecoflow firmware fixer going forward. :think smile bounce:

Glad to hear it’s fixed.

Shame about their customer service.

It’ll be interesting to hear what their reply to your complaint is (presuming you’ve not told them you’ve fixed their issue).

That was some lucky break having the old version on another phone because I had a search for the older APK but was strugging. You are now officially the T6 ecoflow firmware fixer going forward. :think smile bounce:
I am rarely lucky! This is the first time I recall that a problem got fixed easily with no bother or stress! Thanks so much for that link. It really did lead me to a fix that I'd never have achieved through my own accord.

I sent somewhat of a strong email to EcoFlow yesterday, prior to remedying my problem. (My email was pretty well laid out and I would have thought the "Without Prejudice" in the subject would have at least made them consider how the respond to me next.)
I note that I have today receive the following correspondence:

Hello!
Thank you for your kind reply.
Regarding your question, we have contacted our technicians who will provide a pre-repair assessment and quote for your equipment.
Once there is feedback, we will get back to you quickly.
Thank you for your understanding and support!
Sincerely!
Alma
EcoFlow Customer Service Team
EcoFlow EU

Ignoring the fact that they seem oblivious to the fact that Technical Support didn't exists and their Customer Care is woeful, there remains the fact that (as they are concerned) my EcoFlow unit is still dead, over two weeks after the failure which resulted from their lack of testing the Firmware release!

I have always told everyone how fantastic my EcoFlow products have been, but what are the alternatives to their product? Which large power packs charge as fast as the EcoFlow? I ask because I use mine all the time and I'm not sure I want to have products from a company that is so utterly crap!

I know that @Dellmassive has a whole thread on the power packs that he has used and tested over the years, but I to me speed of charging is key. What else charges as quickly?

Ecoflow

Anker

Jackory

Bluetti

++++

those are the main four known brands

++++

most of the others are Chinese cloans

My Anker 767 chargers at 1000w.

The delta2 charges at 1200w,

So not as fast, but very close.

That came in across the EU as a minimum timescale.

The UK legislation goes beyond that.

Citizen's Advice says:
Return the item as soon as you can - your chances are better if you act quickly. Your consumer rights last for up to 6 years, depending on the quality and standard of the item when you bought it.

Ultimately, it would go to a Court to decide what was reasonable for this item. But personally, it ought to last well beyond the two years, and I would say 6 years is a reasonable lifetime for this product if not heavily / everyday used.

A crucial point here that I would be emphasising is that there is nothing physically wrong with the device, the fault is in the firmware update service they provided and you had no reason to mistrust. It's not like you had to put it on a USB stick and may have got the wrong file.

Martin Lewis has some comprehensive advice and guidance on how to complain that I've used to good effect in the past:

Back