Earthing advice on T5 needed

nikmartin1

When I got my T5.1, it was already insulated and carpeted around the body. I know there are factory fitted earthing points at various points around the van (I used the one under the drivers seat for my main link for the split charge relay). But I'm struggling to know where any other may be. I obviously need to get a good earth to attach to the main earth on the Sargent EC160. I know there is supposed to be one in the the rear lights. But I'm not sure if I could actually get a link from it back into the van. Any ideas? I was thinking of just creating a new earth point by scraping some of the paint away and putting a good sized self tapper with a washer on. Is that ok?

You should find earthing pegs/ points in the rear corner cavity Inside the van behind the light clusters about half way up from memory.
Do not use a selftapper.

Thanks Unimog, If I can't get to that peg (or be able to get the wire back into the van from that peg as its covered in insulation and carpet), how would I create a new one myself safely?

Really you should use the earth points if possible. But if you can’t I would drill a hole somewhere in the steel frame and use a m4 or larger bolt. Clean the paint off to expose the metal. Put the nut on the bolt with flat washes and bolt it tight. You will then have an earth post . Use a second nut to hold your cable eyes to the bolt.

It’s important to use good size cable for the main supply and earth cables to take the amps and limit voltage drop.

if your battery is under the drivers seat and control unit at the rear I would use 8 or 10 mm cable for the live and earth . FUSE everything.

Martin at TravelVolts will make up cables for you if required with crimped ends ready to install.

Thanks for your help. Its starting to become clearer. I'll see if I can get to the point behind the rear corner cavity. Just waiting for the rain to stop for a minute lol. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks

Does this help? Its the white block just above the heater unit (assuming T5 and T6 are the same)

9C157349-AF83-46A6-BB72-B6CEB5DBFB2C.jpeg

Nik

Did you ever get this done? I'm looking at the same thing for the same reason. I have a t5.1 and need to run a new earth in the rear offside corner.

Where you able to find one or did you cut away the lining and make your own? If so, how?

Olly

Olly or Nik

I'm at the same stage you both were, needing an earth from the rear offside corner. I have started to run one from under the drivers seat but feel there must be something closer to my leisure battery at the rear O/S

Cheers

Gaz

Back