DSG Operation

burnercan

VIP Member
Another 20 something weeks until my ride is supposed to turn up at the dealer, but I was out driving around in a new T6 DSG the other day and came across some difficult behaviour...

Trying to parallel park into a tight spot, reversing up a steep hill. The clutch wasn't able to hold (much less creep) the van back without throttle input. This made it very difficult to park, and even worse to try to get out of the spot once I was in there! Removing the foot from the brake meant the vehicle rolled forward toward the car in front and applying the brake to arrest the roll obviously disengaged the clutch, even before the brakes very having any effect so it would immediately start to roll back down. I did manage to get it rolling back up the hill using the park brake and a big bootfull of gas pedal. Very awkward with a car close in front/behind and can't imagine the clutch was loving it more than I was...

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if this kind of condition could be tuned out? I kind of thought that the clutch/gearbox/ECU would be able to add what ever required ( I was on a side street, not trying to scale a logging track..) to at the very least hold the van if not make it creep.. Thoughts? Experiences?

All T6s should have hill hold assist to stop rolling ?
What you describe has been mentioned by a few people up to now (me included) but having driven a few DSG T6s i have found it to be quite random, some of them seem to have a very tight clutch that always wants to go when you come of the brake and others are the opposite and need a few too many revs to get them going, not sure why/what/how but thats my experience of them.

Hey thanks for the input. The normal hill holder seemed only to work heading up hill.. should it go both ways? There is a hill decent which is optional here, not sure if that helps in reverse? I ordered it on mine but so far none of the ones I've driven have had it. I think tight would be preferable. I've hear of guys running a 'DSG tune' but I've no idea what that does and haven't looked much into it yet.. Might be worth researching.

I think it's a feature of automatics. Some one I know has an auto car and it is the same

Hey thanks for the input. The normal hill holder seemed only to work heading up hill.. should it go both ways? There is a hill decent which is optional here, not sure if that helps in reverse? I ordered it on mine but so far none of the ones I've driven have had it. I think tight would be preferable. I've hear of guys running a 'DSG tune' but I've no idea what that does and haven't looked much into it yet.. Might be worth researching.
Yes, hill hold works both ways. My experiences on same issue you had in The numerous loaners I've had and what I've learned... on May 1st, 2017.

And, yes, it is very strange how much pulling force varies. On one moment very powerful, another moment totally limp - and if then the slope is not steep enough for hill hold to engage...:mad:

The numerous loaners I've had and what I've learned...

Thanks for the link. Seems strange that such a parameter as idle speed clutch engagement would be so different/inconsistent from one machine to the next. It would be interesting to see what VCDS has to show about it.

I find reverse a bit odd, yesterday I was parking up and just wanted to move back a touch on the gravel and it just didn’t want to move, I even checked the handbreak wasn’t on!

My 150 DSG starts to creep as soon as I release the foot brake.
It seems hard to belive the reported differences on how they take off.
I do find mine tends to hold to lower gears a bit to long though when gently accelerating.

At a recent visit to the dealer they told me they had updated the software for the DSG gearbox. Could this explain the variation in some having more issue reversing than others? Some vans have updated software. Some my not yet.

Reactions: .50
At a recent visit to the dealer they told me they had updated the software for the DSG gearbox. Could this explain the variation in some having more issue reversing than others? Some vans have updated software. Some my not yet.

Mines van was registered in February 2017.

My 150 DSG starts to creep as soon as I release the foot brake.
It seems hard to belive the reported differences on how they take off.
I do find mine tends to hold to lower gears a bit to long though when gently accelerating.
So does mine in forward, just reverse seems reluctant.

I'm going to try and find a bit of an incline and reverse up it and report back.

Please do! Note though, it was a steeper than average hill for a public street where I noticed this. I'd guess it at least 10% grade... Still, a person would have no trouble on such a hill with an old school automatic or a manual box.

I've been googling around for a long time trying to dig up which DSG variant is in the 2018 T6s, so far without luck... The transmission code listed on the id sticker for a 150hp 4M DSG is SDF and the option code is G1D (7-speed automatic transmission for four-wheel drive vehicle, according the the google code breaker). I can't find a cross reference anywhere though for either of these codes to DQ380, DQ381 or DQ500, one of which should be the actual gearbox model number, I think... According to Wikipedia these are the only three that would fit the Tq requirements: the 380 is good for 380N•m, the 381(oddly) is 420-430N•m and the 500 up to 600N•m. Does anyone know for sure which DSG models are used in the 150 and 204? I want to quiz a tuning guy about what can be done with this silly reversing issue.

Intersting. Where does that come from Loz? The VW code breaker shows 0BT as being 'Rear Stabilizer'? The diagram does suggest though that both the 150 and the 204 use the same gearbox. Which would point to the DQ500 as the others wouldn't hold the Tq of the 204. Good news if us 150 guys wanted to tweak up the power a bit.

Yes, perhaps but probably not. Software for mine was updated quite some ago. Also the gearbox was "recalibrated" - a lengthy drive with VAG-tool on it . No change. And, have tried to inject yet another new software in since September. No success this far - car rejects it even though they have triple checked that it should be correct one.

Intersting. Where does that come from Loz? The VW code breaker shows 0BT as being 'Rear Stabilizer'? The diagram does suggest though that both the 150 and the 204 use the same gearbox. Which would point to the DQ500 as the others wouldn't hold the Tq of the 204. Good news if us 150 guys wanted to tweak up the power a bit.
OBt is the gearbox type not a build code the build code the gbox is the G1D you already have.
came from the attached.

Attachments

• SSP__561__The_T6_2016.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
Thanks Loz. Based on that information I found the attached document which says quite clearly that an OBT is the same as a DQ500. It also has some interesting info regarding clearing and relearning shift adapt points. Next stop, the tuner.

Attachments

• DSG_02e_dq250-0bh-obt_dq500-ob5_dl501-inf-tecpdf.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Parking on our drive, it's a nose down park never notice an issue backing up and out, no roll forward.

Back