DSG Operation

It may just be a coincidence but since having a replacement engine at 12,000 miles all the lag issues have gone away, even in reverse I get instant smooth response to the throttle.
Junctions and roundabouts are now so much more fun. I forgot I was driving the new engine and hit the throttle a bit hard last weekend, took off like a startled rabbit and upset my passengers - oops.

I managed to do a few little hill starts today.
Facing down the hill, I selected reverse, and took my foot of the brake, and after half a second, the hill hold released the brakes and with a small throttle input, the van started to move backwards.
Same story in drive. After releasing my foot from the brake, the hill hold function prevents the van from rolling for half a second, and then away I went.
This was the same with the van pointing up the hill.
In my opinion, I dont think it could function any better, and am actually quite impressed with how it handles hill starts.

A bit of a resurrection here, but I'm never sure if it's better to do that or start another thread on a similar topic. Anyway..

Has anyone tried a DSG tune/remap?

There seems to be quite a few tuners offering this, but I'm not sure it would solve my issues. Having had the bus for 7 months and 10000 kms now, I've never gotten used to how my DSG operates.

As the majority of the community seems to agree, it is fabulous on the motorway with the ACC. It is generally great on twisty backroads as well, from 3rd gear on. It's everything about R, 1st and 2nd that I'm underwhelmed or even annoyed by. The dealer assures me everything is normal and maybe he's right, but I don't think that the performance of mine reflects the very positive opinions the community has about the DSG. Might be something to do with the software fix that was applied to 'solve' the emissions problem that delayed deliveries in early 2018 ?

I'm really pi55ed off with reverse on ours; I now think it is dangerous because of the lack of control if reversing up hill, or on terrain which offers higher resistance.
It seems to be be getting harder to control; you need so so many revs before it will start to move; then boom.... you are going way too fast for control.
I popped it in to our local dealer, who couldn't find anything wrong. They check for software updates; did a factory reset of the dsg because it learns behaviour.
It may have been my imagination but it seemed better for a while, now it's back to very poor/unsafe.

If I try to back up to a trailer on soft ground, or uphill, it is only a matter of time before I have a tow bar dint/hole in my bumper/tail gate; or worse.

I think I need to make a video of it playing up and forward this to the dealer/VW(UK).

I know exactly what your saying, I had (different) issues with my DSG which resulted in it being in and out a couple of times but was given a variety of DSG courtesy vans and they all behave quite differently IMO some are ‘tight’ and some are ‘loose’ in terms of engagement/take up, I have to reverse up a slope to park at my house and a van with a ‘tight’ gearbox would move backwards as soon as I took my foot of the brake but the ‘loose’ ones would need loads of revs to get it moving
I did a little test on a loose one and found I could go to 2000 revs and the van wouldn’t move and as soon as I went over 2000 say 2100 it would lurch backwards a bit too quick for my liking, before my gearbox was removed I was concerned at the DSG characteristics being changed by whatever work they were planning to do on it and initially I have several updates/resets on the box including clearing of the DSG adaptions which apparently resets when the van decides to change gear, each time this was done the van felt very slightly different when I got it back but nothing overly notable and it always seemed to go back to normal after a few days driving (or I just got used to it)
When they actually fixed it which required a new clutch pack and DMF then there was a permanent change to the way the gearbox felt but thankfully not in a bad way so i personally wonder if there is much that can be done to alter the way it behaves using software only ?
Having researched it a bit and watched a few videos of the way DSGs work when mine was having issues I can only assume it’s in the split band outer part (no idea on the technical term for this) that tightens and engages to deliver final drive that affects the gearbox take up but I don’t know how it operates or what controls it ?

I know exactly what your saying, I had (different) issues with my DSG which resulted in it being in and out a couple of times but was given a variety of DSG courtesy vans and they all behave quite differently IMO some are ‘tight’ and some are ‘loose’ in terms of engagement/take up, I have to reverse up a slope to park at my house and a van with a ‘tight’ gearbox would move backwards as soon as I took my foot of the brake but the ‘loose’ ones would need loads of revs to get it moving
I did a little test on a loose one and found I could go to 2000 revs and the van wouldn’t move and as soon as I went over 2000 say 2100 it would lurch backwards a bit too quick for my liking, before my gearbox was removed I was concerned at the DSG characteristics being changed by whatever work they were planning to do on it and initially I have several updates/resets on the box including clearing of the DSG adaptions which apparently resets when the van decides to change gear, each time this was done the van felt very slightly different when I got it back but nothing overly notable and it always seemed to go back to normal after a few days driving (or I just got used to it)
When they actually fixed it which required a new clutch pack and DMF then there was a permanent change to the way the gearbox felt but thankfully not in a bad way so i personally wonder if there is much that can be done to alter the way it behaves using software only ?
Having researched it a bit and watched a few videos of the way DSGs work when mine was having issues I can only assume it’s in the split band outer part (no idea on the technical term for this) that tightens and engages to deliver final drive that affects the gearbox take up but I don’t know how it operates or what controls it ?
Pauly, how is your van now in reverse on slopes?, is it as it should be?

It’s always been ok that was not my issue, my problem was banging when coming out of coasting so not really relevant to your issue just wanted to share my experience of driving several DSGs and how I found them, it was a couple of the courtesy vans I had that behaved like yours (they were also caravelles strangely enough) and that was what made me worried how mine would end up after taking the gearbox out etc but thankfully it was/is ok

I'm 4 motion and DSG, i wonder if that's relevant?

I have been tempted by a Revo remap, but daren't do it at present; with this underlying issue and a 5 year warranty only 30months in, put at risk.

I've been humming and hawing a DSG remap for a while, also not keen on doing it before the warranty is up. No luck so far finding anyone else who has had it done to get some feedback. My box seems to be the soft one described by @Pauly. For normal driving it is fine, but the things which seem really odd are:

1) It doesn't creep unless on perfectly flat, unobstructed ground. Example, I have one of these and reversing into the stall it won't creep over the initial bump.
ParkingStop.jpg
If I approach too slowly so momentum doesn't carry can the van over, it needs a boot full of power, then it lurches over. In Drive it is better than reverse, it will creep forward over the small bump to exit the stall but still won't creep up the slightest incline.

2) In Drive it is into 2nd gear almost immediately when you start rolling, yet in Manual it won't give 2nd until above 2000 rpm. Also very satisfying..

3) A generally very laggy feel about getting on with it when power is applied from a stop.

#3 seems to be a very common complaint which tuners claim will be much improved with a DSG flash, but from asking around#1 and 2 don't seem to be common things for tuners to address. Of course the dealer says 'everything is fine'. Except it isn't.

I'm 4 motion and DSG, i wonder if that's relevant?

I have been tempted by a Revo remap, but daren't do it at present; with this underlying issue and a 5 year warranty only 30months in, put at risk.
Sorry should have said Revo "Engine" remap, not sure they do a T6 DSG remap yet

Back