Dsg Oil Leak Re-occurance

The_Lad

T6 Guru
My van is booked into VW tomorrow for a service and its first MOT so i was thinking about what to do reagrding the DSG oil leak.

at about 8months old i had a DSG oil leak which VW acknowledged and fixed as a recall, i belive it involves re-sealing a bolt with something.

Anyway while fitting my splitter i noticed the DSG box is leaking again, i presume the same root cause as before meaning the recall fix hasnt worked.

As it is going in tomorrow what should i be asking them as it will be out of warranty in a few weeks and if they just repeat the same fix im guessing by next year it will be leaking again and also out of warranty.

Is there an updated fix or is it the same reseal the bolt?

Has anyone had a new DSG box under warranty for this issue?

Its also annoying as i was planning to remap the van, but dont want to give them any excuse to wriggle out of fixing this incase it happens again if they just repeat the same fix.

Any advice welcome

Cheers
Justin

I have had gearbox issues (not for the leaky bolt) and my box was removed a couple times which caused an oil leak and eventually had the box replaced 6 mo the pit of warranty and they covered it, I had to make a small contribution

Bottom line is that warranty ending does not mean it’s not covered if it’s a pre existing issue but it does make it harder and generally any fix out of warranty VW call a goodwill gesture and do look to you to pay a percentage of the repair bill
I would just get on it now and check often as if it re occurs the sooner it goes back the better

My DSG was leaking from a bolt, identified during a service. The van has been back four times for the same repair (epoxy seal to the bolt and washer). Touch Wood, it has now been three weeks and no sign of any oil leak. The last time it was in the van center removed the coolant tank rather than move it to one side to give better access for the repair. I also involved VWCV Customer Service Team to put some additional pressure / resources to help with the repair.

I had got top the point that if the repair fails again then I will be asking them to replace the DSG box. Understand from the technical bulletin that the factory may have fixed the problem at source from around mid-2018.

If VW won’t or can’t make an effective fix and if it’s leaking from under a bolt head fit a Dowty bonded seal (DBS). From my experience glue/sealants/epoxys have limited life in oily environments. DBS require a flanged head bolt, washers won’t seal it.

Had a call from the garage, gearbox has to come out so they need to keep it for all of next week.

She said it needs to come out to be inspected, but if the issue foundnisnt under warranty I’m liable for the labour costs.

For what reason would the gearbox need to come out? I’m presuming not for the known bolt re-seal issue?

The leak from the 'Bolt' is, according to the Technical bulletin, dealt with by removing the divider between engine and battery, loosening diesel fuel filter and by loosening the coolant tank but not removing it. The van centre attempted this procedure three times on my van and all failed. On the fourth attempt they removed the coolant tank to gain better access for cleaning and applying the repair and so far this has worked. The repair calls for the engine not to be started or the van moved for 24-hours to allow the epoxy to harden (cure time).

If your leak is from the same place then the van centre should be able to complete repair without removing the gearbox. Perhaps they suspect a leak from somewhere else or damage to the gearbox.

The Technical Product Information number is 2046603/5 - this also states that the gearbox housing was optimised from week 06/2018

Mmmm sounds like my leak may not be from the same place this time then since they are removing the whole gear box

Had a call from the garage, gearbox has to come out so they need to keep it for all of next week.

She said it needs to come out to be inspected, but if the issue foundnisnt under warranty I’m liable for the labour costs.

For what reason would the gearbox need to come out? I’m presuming not for the known bolt re-seal issue?
I have had very similar responses from a dealer in the past, they told me they were going to remove my gearbox and if no fault was found then they would charge me, i told them i wouldnt be paying, i explained i had not asked them to remove it all i wanted was a fault with my vehicle fixed and if they decided they need to remove my gearbox then that was their decision and i would not pay a penny towards, my gearbox was removed and i was not charged

Very good point I’ll use this if they try to charge me.

I can’t think of a gearbox fault that would not be covered under warranty on. Less than 3 year old 30k mike van sonim hoping I should be ok

Back