DSG Hints and tips

I also opted for the DSG even though I've never owned one before. Got to say though, even after less than one week of owning it, I'm loving it.
I am actually finding that it suits my driving style quite well. I've usually got tools etc in the back, so have gotten used to driving smoothly to avoid stuff flying about in the back.
I haven't even used the tiptronic, or sports mode yet so can't comment on the difference they make.
Also loving the coasting setting, makes for an even more relaxing drive.
If you put together the DSG, auto lights and auto wipers then I've even found myself forgetting to use my indicators as I'm sort of expecting the van to do everything for me!
Three point turns are a bit of a flaff though. I have stopped bothering and drive a bit further to find a more suitable place to turn:thumbsup:
I haven't used the coasting or cruise control yet do like the driver assist package high beam assist is very nice but I've only done about 670 miles in it since 5th September so still getting used to it .

If you've got adaptive cruise control then the DSG is a must (In fact i guess you can't have it with a manual)
This combination is great and makes for a relaxing journey when you've got some distance to cover.

We've got a DSG box in the Golf and it's fine, but i would echo the comments about the slight hesitation you get and the lag waiting for kick down on sudden bursts of acceleration, But drive it in S mode and the gearbox springs to life.

It's not as good as the S-tronic on the Audi (same box i believe) on our previous car this was really good, so i guess the difference is in the software.

Once you've got to grips with the DSG's quirks, it really is a step forward from a manual box, Or am i just getting lazy as i get older ;)

The autos I've driven in the past have been great so opted for a DSG with my order

Always found to have a little lag if you put your foot down when cruising but you get used to it and anticipate it or if you are stuck behind someone hold a lower gear manually and its ready to go

Pulling away is easy keep your foot on the brake select D release brake when your ready to go, and gently accelerate
Same with reversing I've always found that it will just start reversing when your release the brake, you don't have to release fully

Have to say I've not had delivery just so this is just from my experience

One thing I would advise is forget about your left foot at least initially, no left foot braking (unless you already do it and used to the different feel) you'll end up with your face against the steering wheel
Tuck it under the seat or something, for some it's a little difficult to let go of using the clutch but you quickly get used to it

DSG owes more to an old bus preselect box than a conventional torque converter and helical gear transmission. Its just a lot more refined and soaks up much less power than a conventional auto box.

In the UK they teach you not to drive left foot brake, in fact it is frowned upon, but I have been doing it for 35+ years and swapping in and out with manuals without any problem. Left foot brake is the norm in North America and has the benefit (if that's what it is) of being able to ride the brake while you manoeuvre because the torque converter will slip. For the hooligans of course you can pull up at the lights, stamp on the brake and the gas together, count to 20 (perhaps) and let go the brake :D

You cant to that with DSG you will kill it! You have to get used to leaving it alone and just using the throttle pedal carefully.

Last edited:
I love DSG.

There's one specific hill which it always seem to pick the wrong (too high) gear for the speed I need to drive it (safely) and there is a delay if you speed off immediately after you've put it into D/R. As above three point turns are a pain but think that's just because I still feel obliged to look and check I'm in R or D.

Overall its made driving so much more relaxing and enjoyable.

When I first got mine I would occasionally put it on S or put the throttle all the way down to get the revs higher but even with the ability to manual shift I find I now look forward to sitting back and enjoying myself while the Van takes me for a drive :).

some really interesting input for you guys, i think it will suite me.

I can not wait to have my first auto , and hope its a pleasure not a pain.
Won't be long now mate she will be with you , then your bank balance will take a good hammering with all the mods you have planned :)
I took a chance and purchased the dsg without test driving one ,it's a differnt style of driving than I'm use to but I will get use to it and just love driving it any chance I get on the weekends .

Won't be long now mate she will be with you , then your bank balance will take a good hammering with all the mods you have planned :)
I took a chance and purchased the dsg without test driving one ,it's a differnt style of driving than I'm use to but I will get use to it and just love driving it any chance I get on the weekends .

Thank you for your thoughts andy, im sure i will love it, best way is to have one and give it a try i think.
As for the bank balance well when i walk in to pay me money over for it i will be crying :cry: but when i leave in it i will be smiling again :)

Thank you for your thoughts andy, im sure i will love it, best way is to have one and give it a try i think.
As for the bank balance well when i walk in to pay me money over for it i will be crying :cry: but when i leave in it i will be smiling again :)
You don't live far from listers Stratford so you will have to take it on a little road trip down the m5 to Cornwall and back maybe ;) I'm still trying to talk the Mrs into having a weekend break away in st Ives just so that I can drive it all the way down there and back with a big grin on me fat face :)

DSG owes more to an old bus preselect box than a conventional torque converter and helical gear transmission. Its just a lot more refined and soaks up much less power than a conventional auto box.

In the UK they teach you not to drive left foot brake, in fact it is frowned upon, but I have been doing it for 35+ years and swapping in and out with manuals without any problem. Left foot brake is the norm in North America and has the benefit (if that's what it is) of being able to ride the brake while you manoeuvre because the torque converter will slip. For the hooligans of course you can pull up at the lights, stamp on the brake and the gas together, count to 20 (perhaps) and let go the brake :D

You cant to that with DSG you will kill it! You have to get used to leaving it alone and just using the throttle pedal carefully.
I'm feeling like @Polzeylad thst there's a bit too much spice just recently,
Why? You are dead right if someone isn't used to driving left foot brake.

The tendency if they don't hide their left foot is to forget its an auto and hit the "clutch" to change gear. As you say you can tell they have done this by the teeth marks on the steering wheel :laugh:
Never happened to me in 8yrs driving my T25, left foot braking in a T6 still don't see the point but just my opinion....

I'm no expert on them as I have always had a manual box & never driven an auto of my own. The autos I have driven were from work or loaners from the garage. My experience is that they lag and use lots of fuel, the DSG on the other hand is better than manual on fuel other manufacturers have some catching up to do. Interesting discussion I had with a salesman the other week when I looked at the new Sportsline and I asked about manual, he said DSG was manual as you could change gear by hand I pointed out it was auto being it only had two peddles. He shut up about it then. Must admit I would not mind trying one though

You can, Its called launch mode on the Golf GTD.

Left foot on the brake, into sport, press the accelerator to the floor, revs hold at 2500 wait for the lights to change and release the brake. Awesome :)

But I agree you wouldn't do it on a 2tonne + van :)

My mechanical abilities just about stretch to filling the washer fluid so apologies if everyone already understands this and its just me that needs it explained, but this video does seem to explain the delay (in a rather painful and patronising way!)

This one's a bit esaier to watch and demonstrates the difference between S/D and Manual mode with the DSG (on a GTI, my van doesn't make exactly the same noise ;-) )

As above, apols if this is all obvious to everyone else but hopefully useful for someone...

:slow rofl::rofl::slow rofl::slow rofl:
You can, Its called launch mode on the Golf GTD.

Left foot on the brake, into sport, press the accelerator to the floor, revs hold at 2500 wait for the lights to change and release the brake. Awesome :)

But I agree you wouldn't do it on a 2tonne + van :)
These days more concerned with lunch control ha ha ha

Back