DSG Hints and tips

Smiffy

Arcadia
T6 Pro
with my new van day hopefully getting closer, I was wondering if you could give me some tips when it comes to driving with a dsg, I've always had a manual, but after being told by loads of people once they get used to it they wouldn't go back I thought I'd try a dsg. Having only tried one briefly on test run , My main concern is how precise and slowly you can move when parking navigating tight spots etc as with a good old fashioned clutch pedal there's all the control you'd need.

Anyway any hints and tips apretiated

I am in the same boat as you with an auto, never had one before but i always wanted one so i am looking forward to it, but also a bit apprehensive. Will be interested to get some tips too.

Going forward seems, well, pretty straight forward; however reverse is much trickier in ours. You need to rev a fair bit to get it to first move (much more than forward), after 4000miles in it, it is still not a very confidence inspiring experience going backwards. I guess take your time a maybe get the feel of reversing it in open spaces.:confused::eek::confused:
I would never wish to go back to a manual (so long as it keeps working ok):)

When you first get it you may find it runs a little hesitant or jerky but the box learns your driving style.Driving down hills you may find it changes down to a too lower gear but a slight tap on the accelerator will put it in neutral. I have no concerns or wish to go back to a manual best thing I've ever done.

How slowly can you inch forward/backwards with it, I've gone for the sensors front and back with camera so I should be ok anyway, and my other thought is I use the gears to break normally,do you still get the same amount of breaking through it? I'm assuming I'd have to switch to the manual side of it to get anywhere close

It's a different style of driving but believe me after a day or two you won't look back or even think about it.
After years of saying I would never have an auto/dsg I am totally converted.

Our daily drive is due for a change next year and it won't be a manual!

DSG is better with flappy paddles but you will soon work it out for yourself, Only think I don't like with the DSG in my T^ vs others I've had is that its quite hesitant on pulling away.

I had a DSG Caravelle Exec for two weeks (T5.1 2014) and found it utterly exasperating.
Awful hesitation from a standstill (I notice Top Gear has mentioned it on their long term Edition 6 'Velle and their outgoing Golf R), insane gear selection (almost red-lining through my flat roaded village then changing UP to go up a 25% gradient hill; did the same every time) and really imprecise when doing slow speed stuff - I'd hate to try and get one on levelling ramps.
Tried the same type of 'box in a courtesy VW CC (had it two weeks), a diesel Golf and a mate's Audi S4 and never managed to get on with them.

However many seem to swear by them so they clearly suit many.

I really like a good manual (IMO the VW six speed is good) and a good "full" auto (8 speed ZF in the M135i and it's astonishingly fast, better on fuel and the paddles gives you proper control if needed - great on a track) but just don't get the dual clutch thing. It's not going to make me very popular (not that I was anyway) but I think it's good to hear both sides of every option story.

I had a DSG Caravelle Exec for two weeks (T5.1 2014) and found it utterly exasperating.
Awful hesitation from a standstill (I notice Top Gear has mentioned it on their long term Edition 6 'Velle and their outgoing Golf R), insane gear selection (almost red-lining through my flat roaded village then changing UP to go up a 25% gradient hill; did the same every time) and really imprecise when doing slow speed stuff - I'd hate to try and get one on levelling ramps.
Tried the same type of 'box in a courtesy VW CC (had it two weeks), a diesel Golf and a mate's Audi S4 and never managed to get on with them.

However many seem to swear by them so they clearly suit many.

I really like a good manual (IMO the VW six speed is good) and a good "full" auto (8 speed ZF in the M135i and it's astonishingly fast, better on fuel and the paddles gives you proper control if needed - great on a track) but just don't get the dual clutch thing. It's not going to make me very popular (not that I was anyway) but I think it's good to hear both sides of every option story.

I would just say your opinionated!

^^^Ignore that crazy fool^^^ :eek:, i like mine wouldnt go back now

When it comes to reversing i find put it in reverse and wait a second or two for it to engage and take the slack before lifting of the brake and its a lot more precise/controllable try to rush and you rev it before it engages fully and you get a rearward jerk faster than you would like but you get used to it very quickly

^^^Ignore that crazy fool^^^ :eek:, i like mine wouldnt go back now

When it comes to reversing i find put it in reverse and wait a second or two for it to engage and take the slack before lifting of the brake and its a lot more precise/controllable try to rush and you rev it before it engages fully and you get a rearward jerk faster than you would like but you get used to it very quickly
I'll give that method a go, and see how we get on.

Well I can't fault mine- the description from polzeylad is just a world away from how I'd describe mine so much so it sounds like a different box. All I can say is its just effortless- its in the right gear every time, whether that's up hill, down hill, fully loaded or empty. And I get zero hesitation from a standstill. These boxes are run from software so maybe its been improved lately or maybe theirs a few dodgy ones around but mines just great. Won't be going back thats for sure!

I would just say your opinionated!
It gets me in trouble quite often though :whistle:

From the Top Gear write up; they have an Edition 6 long termer...

"DSG gearbox is smooth but struggles when pulling away. You give it throttle, nothing happens, then it lurches away."

The BM has a brilliant auto box but I still have full respect for anyone who goes for the "purer" manual and full marks to Porsche for sticking a manual box in their most focussed fast cars.

Last edited:
I find it much easier to manoeuvre at low speed with the DSG. Lift off the brake either forward or reverse and your rollin. Getting in and out of my garage is a tight squueze and not worrying about clutch/brake/gas means you can just concentrate on mirrors etc

How slowly can you inch forward/backwards with it, I've gone for the sensors front and back with camera so I should be ok anyway, and my other thought is I use the gears to break normally,do you still get the same amount of breaking through it? I'm assuming I'd have to switch to the manual side of it to get anywhere close

If anything I think it over breaks

It gets me in trouble quite often though :whistle:

From the Top Gear write up; they have an Edition 6 long termer...

"DSG gearbox is smooth but struggles when pulling away. You give it throttle, nothing happens, then it lurches away."

The BM has a brilliant auto box but I still have full respect for anyone who goes for the "purer" manual and full marks to Porsche for sticking a manual box in their most focussed fast cars.
I'm missing my manual box to be honest I like to floor it out of junctions and traffic lights but with dsg it hesitates it's smooth once going but I've drove manuals since 1987 and now got to learn how to drive a dsg

Well I can't fault mine- the description from polzeylad is just a world away from how I'd describe mine so much so it sounds like a different box. All I can say is its just effortless- its in the right gear every time, whether that's up hill, down hill, fully loaded or empty. And I get zero hesitation from a standstill. These boxes are run from software so maybe its been improved lately or maybe theirs a few dodgy ones around but mines just great. Won't be going back thats for sure!
Same for me I hear all these issues with dsg and I'm sure they are real but ours has been great and had no problems with it, sounds like vw need some consistency though!

Same for me I hear all these issues with dsg and I'm sure they are real but ours has been great and had no problems with it, sounds like vw need some consistency though!
Maybe once I decide to get her remaped will cure hesitation on take off or could be that I'm use to a lighter vehicle with Quattro system

Back