Not wishing to pile on the agony but be aware that they are about to reduce the limit on two-lane highways from 90km/h to 80km/h. But it will be a while until the signs are changed - you are expected to know!

This has not yet been enacted, due to be on 1 July, and is being heavily challenged by motorists" associations as it is likely to create even more dangerous overtaking than currently. It will only apply to roads where carriageways are not separated by a barrier.

I regularly travel with the car speed limiter set at 94 kph (90 kph sat nav on the flat) and am frequently overtaken on these Departmental roads especially during the beginning and end of the lunchtime break and people rush to and from home. They know where the fixed cameras are and slow down and it is rare to see a mobile radar unit during lunchtime !

In general, I find Italy much more welcoming and easy going. They appreciate tourism and culturally like the Brits in their hotels and restaurants in my experience. Unsurprisingly in Italy, rather than see a purposeful vehicle as a prime ticketing target, you are likely to get stopped so the police can discuss it and have a look. They were part of the crowd, clapping and taking pictures when a German staying at a hotel I was in sped off down a little cobbled alpine village street at mach 5 in his Ferrari 488 .... they loved it :laugh: (I'm not condoning that behaviour )

Being Italian 2 generations back with a surname like mine (Asserati), I think I can say this, I'm not a huge fan of the country in general. I've taken my MH in, and through there a few times and find the driving stressful, the roads to be really bad in many places, and the sites to be over cramped.
The Italians are lovely people, but they are nuts when it comes to driving. They don't do it on purpose, it's just the natural way they drive, and when you're as paranoid as I am with your vehicle, and love your MH as much as I do, not to mention it cost as much as a small house, I spend all my driving nervous that i'm going to be hit by another driver. The sites we stayed on seemed to be over crowded with no real organisation. I've stayed in most European countries in my MH, and it's only Italy that makes me feel this way, even my wife notices how stressful it is driving there.
Consequently, I now avoid the country if I can, only passing through if it's necessary to get to another location. One day I should fly there, because I must miss out on some amazing restaurants and experiences.

I love the place :) .... best hospitality, food and great wine. Lots of relatively undiscovered / un-visited mountain resorts which are absolute gems to stay and ride in

I know what you mean about the driving but I'm extremely rarely in the Cities just main auto routes to the mountains. So I'm generally quite remote. Yes, I've seen some scary driving there for sure, especially on mountain passes but I'm not overly impressed by the German and French drivers crossing Europe either.

@Tourershine
Bon Voyage .... as posted on another thread.... let us know any good finds ie eating,
drinking, visiting on the Ile de Rey.
We are going in June,

As above ... Sanef Toll gadget is great.
Sometimes its good to get off the main tolls and sit back and enjoy the smaller towns.

@Dave Potts
Can recommend Biarittz ... great campsite on the outskirts Le Pavillion Royal.
Bus on main Road straight into centre.
Quite a surfy/trendy town.
Enjoy

@Tourershine
Bon Voyage .... as posted on another thread.... let us know any good finds ie eating,
drinking, visiting on the Ile de Rey.
We are going in June,

Good memory.
MH all packed up and ready, leaving Wednesday and going straight down for a 12pm crossing, then blast down to single stop over just past Angers, arriving on the island on Thursday. Weather currently saying couple of days light rain, then sunny, with one day predicting early 20s, which will be a nice change.

As mentioned on the other thread, this is our 2nd visit to Ile De re, last time being same time last year, so know some great places to visit already, but will hunt out more I suspect.

I'm just looking forward to getting the bikes out and riding round the island again.

As above ... Sanef Toll gadget is great.

I'd just like to make sure I totally get the Toll Card gizmo if I could....

So, I understand it automatically debits your card after set up and passing through the Sanef gizmo toll gate each time

But does it save money in any way ?

Is there a chance I have been going through the wrong toll gates and paying too much manually, whereas with this Sanef card you are already correctly registered and therefore pay the right toll ??

Do we (or should we) get charged as Commercials ??

Cheers

It doesn't save money but it saves a bagful of time!!
I've never been charged as a commercial vehicle.
You get a monthly statement that you can email if an issue and they will assist and correct.
There is a monthly charge but not a great amount.

Look at the video on the Sanef website ...its good.

We sailed through the tolls last year on our way skiing.... everyone else in long queues!!
So much easier.

I'd just like to make sure I totally get the Toll Card gizmo if I could....

So, I understand it automatically debits your card after set up and passing through the Sanef gizmo toll gate each time

But does it save money in any way ?

Is there a chance I have been going through the wrong toll gates and paying too much manually, whereas with this Sanef card you are already correctly registered and therefore pay the right toll ??

Do we (or should we) get charged as Commercials ??

Cheers

The Sanef toll tag is set against your Bank account and at the end of the month you can view all the individual charges and that amount is taken from your account by direct debit.
If there is a mistake (unlikely) you can query the charge.
There is no financial saving using the tag but you don’t have to queue at the tolls and don’t have to worry about money
We just love it, so simple, no stress and no queuing

Thanks guys

So, there is a chance without it you could get charged a Commercial rate by going through an incorrect gate ??

Do you register your exact vehicle type or something to get the card and therefore you are always charged correctly ??

Thanks guys

So, there is a chance without it you could get charged a Commercial rate by going through an incorrect gate ??

Do you register your exact vehicle type or something to get the card and therefore you are always charged correctly ??

I think you misunderstand how it charges, you can use any gate and every vehicle is scanned automatically for height, if you are over the set height (3.0m) you get charged class2 otherwise you are fine.

My van sits at 2m high (bikes poke up a tad)
Technically there is sometimes a height barrier when you approach the toll to the L hand side
(Outside/overtaking/fast Lane)
If you are worried about your height then it is advisable to use the R hand side (bigger stuff) as no height barriers.
I believe, though I never have, that this is where you could be confused as a commercial vehicle.
Check your statement and they will refund any errors.

My van sits at 2m high (bikes poke up a tad)
Technically there is sometimes a height barrier when you approach the toll to the L hand side
(Outside/overtaking/fast Lane)
If you are worried about your height then it is advisable to use the R hand side (bigger stuff) as no height barriers.
I believe, though I never have, that this is where you could be confused as a commercial vehicle.
Check your statement and they will refund any errors.

Hi, the height restriction on the two lanes set at 2 m is merely to keep them clear so that cars can speed through, they are set (so we have been told) so that you can drive through those at 30kph but we have never been brave enough to try!

ahhhh right .... it's scanned real-time and each time at the gate and the parameter is height. That's the bit I didn't know. I'll research that and check out the Sanef video too thanks.

I have an awful feeling it is 2mtrs. I'm sure I recall seeing 2mtr height restrictors at some gates. Like you say, on the left side. So I always went through the right and I think I could have (manually) paid too much even though the Vito is under 2mtrs

Of course, as luck would have it, this new trans Europe weapon is about 2,040mm with roof bars :thumbsdown:

ahhhh right .... it's scanned real-time and each time at the gate and the parameter is height. That's the bit I didn't know. I'll research that and check out the Sanef video too thanks.

I have an awful feeling it is 2mtrs. I'm sure I recall seeing 2mtr height restrictors at some gates. Like you say, on the left side. So I always went through the right and I think I could have (manually) paid too much even though the Vito is under 2mtrs

Of course, as luck would have it, this new trans Europe weapon is about 2,040mm with roof bars :thumbsdown:

We are about the same height as you and must admit that when the tolls had long queues we did chance the 2m lanes once or twice, we found that breathing in and holding our breath got us under - haha.
The class 2 charge only applies if you are over 3.0m.

Incidentally don’t buy the tag direct from the Sanef website - if you go to it via a link on the Eurotunnel website it’s cheaper.

@Nigel W
We've braved it now on most occasions!
Most of the "T" lanes are as you say ....faster, quicker etc.
We have only seen the height barriers on some routes ....most of the time they are clear of height barriers.
They do have the tester rubber so you can chicken out....if you connect!! Although all the Frenchies will be
Tres disagreeable if you have to reverse out!!

We are about the same height as you and must admit that when the tolls had long queues we did chance the 2m lanes once or twice, we found that breathing in and holding our breath got us under - haha.
The class 2 charge only applies if you are over 3.0m.

Incidentally don’t buy the tag direct from the Sanef website - if you go to it via a link on the Eurotunnel website it’s cheaper.

3.0mtrs and buying via Eurotunnel .... great bits of additional data I didn't know thanks :thumbsup:

I just haven't got the nerve to "hold my breath" and hope I get under :D ........ van is too scary pricey for me. These vans make Mercedes look like a budget option and I'm deadly serious ! You'd never guess when you naively think one day, "I know, I'll pop along to a VW garage and see what these Transporters are like"

To the uninitiated ( I was), one is a VW and one is a Mercedes ... I know which the majority of the population would incorrectly put at the most expensive and exclusive for sure :eek:

Class 2 is 2m not 3m, we are 2050mm & sometimes go through at class 1, sometimes class 2.

Vehicle classification on french motorways - ASFA
I stand corrected as you say under 2.0m class 1, 2.0 to 3.0m class 2 and above 3.0m class 3.
In a panic I have just looked at all my toll invoices from Sanef for last year and everyone is charged class 1.
I have a poptop and a Fiamma awning rail so I measure the same as you.
Sorry about that.

I stand corrected as you say under 2.0m class 1, 2.0 to 3.0m class 2 and above 3.0m class 3.
In a panic I have just looked at all my toll invoices from Sanef for last year and everyone is charged class 1.
I have a poptop and a Fiamma awning rail so I measure the same as you.
Sorry about that.
When you have the Telepeage tag, is it specific to your vehicle so you always get charged the correct rate, or is the rate determined at the peage? We were in Provence at Easter & noticed that most of the booths are now un-manned & automatic.

When you have the Telepeage tag, is it specific to your vehicle so you always get charged the correct rate, or is the rate determined at the peage? We were in Provence at Easter & noticed that most of the booths are now un-manned & automatic.
It is determined at the peage, they have detectors which measure the height of the vehicle.

Back