Dave Potts

Its our first time driving through France this year and we are looking for advice. From the eurotunnel to the south of France google maps has the fastest route going through Paris. I imagine this is a bad idea so maybe take a longer route down. We are heading to Luchon for le tour and heading across to Biarritz for a week

If you mean Bagneres de Luchon, then i'd avoid Paris and opt for the A28, then A10.
We often go to the South of France and loads of other places South, and never use the Paris routes. I went to Magny Cours a few years ago with a load of mates on bikes to watch the World Super Bikes, and we went the Paris route. It was amazing blasting round Paris on a V-twin, through all the tunnels, but I remember thinking then, that i'd never want to drive near there, and never have.

If you mean Bagneres de Luchon, then i'd avoid Paris and opt for the A28, then A10.
We often go to the South of France and loads of other places South, and never use the Paris routes. I went to Magny Cours a few years ago with a load of mates on bikes to watch the World Super Bikes, and we went the Paris route. It was amazing blasting round Paris on a V-twin, through all the tunnels, but I remember thinking then, that i'd never want to drive near there, and never have.
Yeah Bagnères-de-Luchon..thanks for the reply

We travel through France lots during the year, and my top tips are;

Get a sanef toll pass - Saves loads of times at the tolls.
Use a sat Nav with live traffic - It will alway route you the fastest way

HTH

Just take your time and enjoy the beautiful towns and lovely quiet roads but watch your speed, the speed limits are strictly enforced and the speed cameras are hidden.
If you are camping then get yourselves the ACSI book and app which lists all the sites

EACC6869-F2CD-48FD-B942-9473D770127C.jpeg

There is no treaty for speed cameras between France and England, so unless you are caught in the country, they wont pursue a speed camera incident. I get flashed most times I’m over (I’m not condoning speeding by the way )

Very happy to be wrong but as of May 2017........and yes I did get one!

For the first time, UK drivers who get caught by speed cameras going too fast on roads in countries including France, the Netherlands and Belgium will face fines of up to £640.

However, a quirk of the European law will create a "one-way" system in which Europeans caught speeding in the UK cannot be pursued by British police.

The move comes just as millions of British families are preparing to set off on summer holidays around Europe.

In just one year, an estimated half a million UK motorists will face prosecution for driving offences in France alone.

Under the new rules, EU governments can access vehicle ownership records held by other countries, which are then used to prosecute offences carried out in foreign-registered cars.

When are you saying this happened? I've never had a ticket, and I travel into Europe around half a dozen times a year. Last year took the RS3, and heard nothing!

You put doubt into my mind so I just googled it and yes as of May last year the French have access to the DLVA records and can issue fines for speeding but not points.

Been caught by police over there before, I’m not denying that (albeit me not driving at the time:) Just never had a speed camera ticket!

Best I slow down a bit.....

Very happy to be wrong but as of May 2017........and yes I did get one!

For the first time, UK drivers who get caught by speed cameras going too fast on roads in countries including France, the Netherlands and Belgium will face fines of up to £640.

However, a quirk of the European law will create a "one-way" system in which Europeans caught speeding in the UK cannot be pursued by British police

I can't even write a coherent answer .... my blood is boiling .... our Euro 'friends' even managing to get it all their way on traffic offences as well :mad:

Their bl**dy tourists and Lorries come over here causing carnage on the roads and they as good as stick two fingers up at us. You even see it on our Traffic Police documentaries where our Police admit there is no point in stopping them as there will be no prosecution. Driving home after collecting my new van the other day, I was literally missed by about 7" by a Bulgarian truck driver drifting across the lanes in his less than roadworthy looking lorry.

We've been stopped in France, Austria and Switzerland and I can categorically tell you, they are actually waiting for us Brits during holiday periods. They HATE us !

Last one, fortunately not me as I was way behind in the Vito and got a phone call, a friend, got Euro 2,000 fine for 88kmh in an 80kmh tunnel. He said he didn't have the money and he was physically restrained whilst one officer went through his car to find his wallet, trying each credit card in succession until the transaction went through.

This is not a one off and we are not Yobs. Other friends have also had camera tickets land on their mats at home in the UK ! ........ BEWARE !

Sorry ..... this stuff really presses my button

Not wishing to pile on the agony but be aware that they are about to reduce the limit on two-lane highways from 90km/h to 80km/h. But it will be a while until the signs are changed - you are expected to know!

I've been driving my Motorhome in Europe for several years. I often see the camera flash when I pass it, but never received a fine or ticket.
I was only ever pulled over by the Italian police when I came out of the Splugen pass because they assumed my Motorhome exceeded the 3t limit for that pass, but it doesn't thankfully, even though it's 3 times the size of my T6.

I'm off again next week also, over to Ile De Re, but I will sure try to be a little more careful.

Last edited:
I've been driving my Motorhome in Europe for several years. I often see the camera flash when I pass it, but never received a fine or ticket.
I've was only ever pulled over by the Italian police

In general, I find Italy much more welcoming and easy going. They appreciate tourism and culturally like the Brits in their hotels and restaurants in my experience. Unsurprisingly in Italy, rather than see a purposeful vehicle as a prime ticketing target, you are likely to get stopped so the police can discuss it and have a look. They were part of the crowd, clapping and taking pictures when a German staying at a hotel I was in sped off down a little cobbled alpine village street at mach 5 in his Ferrari 488 .... they loved it :laugh: (I'm not condoning that behaviour )

Last edited:
The Italian roads are shocking though - Did you think so - So may potholes - Not good in the RS with 235/30/20’s.....

The Italian roads are shocking though - Did you think so - So may potholes - Not good in the RS with 235/30/20’s.....

Yep ... they are quite rutted in areas, particularly the Alps and Dolomites. I might notice more this year with 275/40/r20 x 9 :D ... probably get pulled for drinking as I swerve all over the road dodging the holes .... it's happened before ! :laugh:

Hopefully meet you in a week or so Oli. I've chosen your place (based on this Forum) to have even more pimping done to the (brand) new truck :thumbsup:

Google maps will change the route depending on traffic conditions so don't take what it says as gospel. I just drove from Yorkshire to Naples. When I first checked the route at home on my desktop it wanted to take me down the rue De anglaise, not sure what number road it is but it goes straight down France and you end up at the Mont Blanc tunnel, nice drive. I got the ferry from Dover to Dunkirk and used App Connect to provide Google Maps to navigate for me. It took me through Belgium, then Luxembourg (1.15 a litre for premium diesel!) then the Vosges region of France which was very scenic, loads of history too. I didn't pay any tolls until I got to Switzerland and made good progress and saved a small fortune to boot. I've done this journet four times now and this route is my favourite. I work in Geographical Information Systems/Digital Cartography and I'm more than happy to trust Google maps to make an informed decision for me when crossing continents.

As far as Italian roads go it's worth paying the tolls, which can be pretty poor at times but the non toll tangenzialli are flipping awful!!

Last edited:
Back