driving across europe. need help/advice.

brucie84

Hi, i have a 2021 t6.1 that im planning to drive from Manchester to Italy to get e ferry to mainland Greece and then another ferry to Rhodes with my wife and my dog.
just wondering if anyone can off any advice about driving across Europe?

Best routes?

Anything i shouod be careful of?

What check should i carry out on out my van before setting off?

I was going drive Manchester - Hull. ferry to Bruges. drive to Venice. ferry from Venice to Patra. drive across to Pireus and ferry to Rhodes.
OR drive to down dover and go from calais across to Venice etc.

ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated. we are going to go end of April.

thanks in advance friends.

bruce

The ferry from Hull is my preferred route to get to Europe from the NW (though I usually go to Rotterdam - don’t know why…?). It’s a straightforward drive across the Netherlands and through Germany to Munich (either via Stuttgart or Frankfurt - there is not much difference). Your route may well take you a similar way and take you across Austria and via the Brenner pass (toll road) into Italy. I’m not familiar of any routes beyond that.
You will need a Vignette (toll ticket/window sticker -€10 for 10 days with others available) to drive on the Austrian motorways. The Italian motorways have regular toll booths on most (and you can pay when you exit) and queues can build up in busy periods. There are fast track lanes that you may want to look into. If your route is via France/Switzerland then they also charge for the motorways. I don’t know the specifics of France, but for Switzerland you used to have to buy a year long ticket (window sticker). If driving across the Alps, you can still get some snow at the end of April.

You should carry dayglo vests (for all occupants), a first aid kit and a warning triangle (these may be a legal requirement in some countries) as well as all your paperwork (insurance green card etc.) I would check that you can access your spare wheel (check the bolts haven’t seized). A torch and a small toolkit are sensible but, tbh, there’s not much you can really fix on your own so make sure you have EU breakdown cover. Obviously check fluids & tyre wear/pressures before you go.

If driving on German autobahns, be amazed at how fast some drivers are going!

Outstanding!! That was my plan in the same year when Boris instigated the very first lockdown! Bought my camper the day before lockdown and it sat on my drive all summer! My plan was to drive to Crete and then spend a few months Island hopping around the Aegean.

Im in the south of England so my personal choice of route would have been crossing the channel via ferry or train into Calais or Dunkirk, then, depending on whether youre in a rush or not, drive across France, crossing into Swiss at Basle, drive across Swiss and exit at Chiasso on the Swiss / Italian border, then on down to Milan. Scoot around the Tangenziale, the Milanese ring road, and on down passed Piacenza, Modena, Bologna, Rimini heading to Ancona. You can get a ferry from Ancona to Patras or Pireaus, your choice, and then on to Rhodes via a separate ferry from Pireaus. If you fancied it you could head further south in Italy and get a ferry from Bari across to Greece which I believe is cheaper and a shorter crossing than using Venice or Ancona but then again you are driving more miles and using more fuel to get there.

If I was coming from Bruges then head down across Belgium, around Brussels and down into Lux then fill up with diesel there, its very cheap, then carry on, out of Lux and down through France. If I was in a rush then I would cross into Swiss at either Basle or Vallorbe and carry on across Swiss as previously stated, if not in a rush then stay in France, enjoy the drive and cross in to Italy via Mont Blanc or Frejus tunnels. If youre feeling adventurous you could go over the top on the old road and cross into Italy via Mont Cenis. Personally I wouldnt go via Germany, the autobahns can be a nightmare for roadworks etc and as stated by Shaun, in Austria you would have to pay the Vignette.

If you went through Swiss and exited at Chiasso, its about a 3.5 to 4 hour drive to Venice from there. Head down to Milan then Brescia, Verona, Vicenza, Venice.

Tips....Give yourself a few trial runs at changing a wheel for the spare , if you havent done it before.
Make sure you have a hi-viz for everyone in the vehicle, two warning triangles, a small fire extinguisher, head torch and hand torch, spare bulbs, spare spectacles if you wear them for driving. Different countries have different requirements so best just to cover your backside and take the lot.
Have an old fashioned PAPER MAP or maps!! Dont just rely on sat-navs and tech.
Take the original V5 and copies of your insurance, you may not legally need them in some countries but you will save yourself a world of pain if you can produce them when asked.
Keep an eye on the 90 / 180 day Schengen rule.
Have you got European roaming set up for your phone?
Confirm with your insurance company what their procedures are for "what happens if.........."!!, IE breakdowns, accidents, recovery, repatriation, emergency accommodation, hospital fees etc and confirm the contact telephone numbers and email addresses.
Make sure you and all other travellers have your UK Global Health Insurance Card.

Sounds like a great road trip, im well envious!!! Enjoy!!

Hello! I have driven a few times to and from Italy as I got family in (and I am originally from) Tuscany.
With regards to the route there it all depends where you'd like to get your ferry to Greece from.
I always landed in Calais and found the Switzerland route to be quite nice.
There is a bit of a saving with the vignette as you will use it both ways (that lasts until the 31st of Jan of the year after you buy it - stop, ask for one and pay by card at the border) when compared to tunnel tolls in the west of Italy i.e. Mont Blanc and Frejus.
I found Colmar to be very nice for a stop if you are heading that way. Driving around Milan can be a bit crazy, but so is the M25... Swiss motorways can have a bit of traffic during the holidays as their speed limits are a bit lower than the rest of Europe. ViaMichelin Is quite good for tolls and routes. Good luck and enjoy

I am planning something similar this year. We are driving to Corfu for my Greek FiL 80th, week in Corfu with a big group and then a couple weeks home.

I have driven lots to the alpes and Ventoux in France over the years. Two years ago we had an amazing two weeks in Lenzerheide in Switszerland. On this trip we drove to Basel to stay with a friend a night and then on to Lenzerheide. We did day trips to Lichtenstein, Austria and Lake Come in Italy. Amazing trip.

So this August we have just over three weeks off. I spent some time yesterday looking at routes and ferry times. I think we will Chunnel to Calais, and then Basel and down the East Italian coast to a ferry port to Corfu with maybe one night stop in Italy. After the week on the Island I am thinking of this route. Still needs lots of work but happy to share info etc.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 18.37.17.png

Link for ferries to, from and around Greece and it’s islands

Check your vehicle insurance carefully, many policies allow travel on the continent for so many days a year, but the cover provided is minimum legal requirement, ie third party only. They may need an additional premium to grant comprehensive cover outside the UK.

WOW WOW WOW!! guys thank so much for all your help!!!! this is all really interesting stuff and gives me lots to think about. apologies for the late reply I've had loads going on which has given me more motivation to make this trip happen!

WOW WOW WOW!! guys thank so much for all your help!!!! this is all really interesting stuff and gives me lots to think about. apologies for the late reply I've had loads going on which has given me more motivation to make this trip happen!
Keep us up to date with what you decide and more importantly how the trip goes. I might do it myself next year! :) :cool:

So i have been reading some blogs on driving about in Albainia, so now time to book crossings

Also, its worth checking with your insurance company that you will be insured to drive in BiH, Montenegro and Albania. These countries used to not be on the usual lists of insured European countries. Im pretty sure that now a days you need to buy insurance at the BiH border. Not sure about Montenegro or Albania though.

Last edited:
Back