Conversion finally finished - just back from European trip.

Barnstorm

Just thought I'd send a word of encouragement to those of you thinking about or in the middle of a conversion.

I bought a T6 Highline builder's van and did the entire conversion, including windows, insulation and lining, electrics, solar, furniture building etc. Two things I outsourced - Westdubs for the pop-top and A1 campers for the RIB Altair bed.

Along the way I tapped into the wealth of advice available on this forum and was amazed by the knowledge of the forum members and their willingness to share it.

My wife and I just got back from a 3 week trip to Europe, crossing to Dunkirk, travelling through Belgium via Bruges, into Luxembourg and then into Germany via Rudeshein, spending most of our time in the Black Forest. Then back through France.

A great trip. The van was a dream, both to drive (Euro roads were a doddle) and to stay in. And the weather was fantastic, although not so great when we got back to the UK.

Things I love about the van? The Renogy DC-DC charger with built in solar controller and starter battery trickle charging. The awning rail with LED lights from Clearcut Conversions, which lights up the outside of the van or the inside of our awning when we use it. The RIB seat/bed - much better than the cheap rock'n'roll bed we had in our last van.

Things I would have done differently? I bought a budget fridge from Jacksons Leisure, their own badged product I think - didn't perform well in the high temperatures and very spurious temperature readings from one minute to the next.

But all in all, I can definitely say that the van offers a very different kind of travel experience. Just check the weather forecasts and decide where to go next.

Good luck with your builds...

Here's a pic of the van in Germany.

Van in Germany.jpg

Well done, nice Van

Post more pics of your bus.

I'd be very interested in seeing any build photos you took, sounds like you went down the xact route im planning and only outsourcing to westdubs and for the RIB bed

Too true, it is a very rewarding job yours looks good @Barnstorm . I've done it five times since I escaped real work in 2004, each one having little tweaks from the previous one.

However I have always done LWB T4, T5s & T6 and one way or another had them with high roofs not pop-tops. It's amazing how much that extra space makes long term holidays more enjoyable.

Now as the years stack up and the body is less agile I'm having a LWB TGE converted to my spec.

Reactions: CAB
Hi @middle-englander The kitchen design is an adaptation of an Evo-motion one, although I made it. Buying it from Evo would have been much easier but they are quite pricey and the lead times were very long. I did buy the handles/catches from Evo. I bought the oak worktop on eBay from a firm that makes oak stair parts. The bed is a 112cm Rib Altair in Simora fabric to match the front seats. Cheers.

@Barnstorm. That looks great. Can you post a link to the worktop suppliers please. We've decided that we don't actually need a hob and sink as we only ever used them when the camper was a new and it was a novelty so I'm thinking of taking the whole thing out and replacing it with a new worktop with a bit of shallow storage in the top (probably a little bit less than the depth of the current sink). It shouldn't be too much of a major task and I would also aim to make it easily reversible if we ever came to sell the van. The gas locker can come out too.

Sorry, @Ayjay I was wrong. The item number I bought is no longer available but the same item is now in a clearance sale from them with a different item number Solid Oak Panel / Boards | eBay

I bought three - one for the table, one for the worktop and the third for the lift up flap with a thin length cut off which I glued to the worktop one to get the correct depth for the deeper section over the fridge. £36.50 each plus delivery. Makes for a very cheap, good quality table in comparison with a furniture board one with knock-on trim - £75 each from Evo-motion plus delivery. Cheers

Back