Driver assist/Acc nuisance

radfraz

VIP Member
How are you finding the controls on the 6.1? I have a '72 plate VW Arteon and I'm struggling with all the overly intrusive driver aids. I've not really addressed the problem as yet, admittedly. I'm hoping I can setup a driver profile that will completely switch off lane guidance. As for the auto cruise control, it picks up the 30 zones on slip roads, drops the speed off for no real reason. Completely over the top and very annoying. Spoils what is otherwise a really great car. Any of these things sound familiar?
I'm after a new/newish highline transporter, not sure I could live with this.

My 6.1 has most of the toys but I don't get either of the behaviours you note.

The ACC is entirely radar based. I do have speed sign recognition but it's not linked so the most it will do is warn you if you configure it to.

I assume you mean lane assist, not the lane guidance on the navigation. In mine is totally optional if you have that on. I did for a while when new while I got used to the width but it's now mostly off.

The ACC can get fooled at slip roads if they diverge slowly, it's clearly tracking vehicles and in that situation it can sometimes brake if a car in front of of and slows but you just get used to it.

Yes, the ACC on mine is radar plus it reads signs and uses map data.
Lane assist, I have just found the button that takes me straight to the relevant settings. Unfortunately you have to turn this off every time you start the car.
I had a brief chat with a rep at vw the other day. It's all H&S stuff.
Thanks for your response mate.

Is that in a 6.1 or your other VW?

I did read somewhere that the lane assist was going to be included in the crash protection ratings at which point is would behave like start/stop and reset to on each startup.

Is that in a 6.1 or your other VW?

I did read somewhere that the lane assist was going to be included in the crash protection ratings at which point is would behave like start/stop and reset to on each startup.
In the arteon, I don't have a van just yet.

They need to back off with this nanny state stuff and let stupidity work itself out

@radfraz If your adaptive cruise control is reacting to side roads, other speed signs and / or bends in the road ahead it sounds like Predictive Cruise control is also switched on.

I had this on my Golf and it was one of the first things I turned off. It's buried somewhere in the ACC setting menu but once off it stays off, unlike lane assist which resets every time.

I also had an issue where it used to think it was in Europe and wouldn't let me overtake as it thought I was under cutting traffic.

@radfraz If your adaptive cruise control is reacting to side roads, other speed signs and / or bends in the road ahead it sounds like Predictive Cruise control is also switched on.

I had this on my Golf and it was one of the first things I turned off. It's buried somewhere in the ACC setting menu but once off it stays off, unlike lane assist which resets every time.

I also had an issue where it used to think it was in Europe and wouldn't let me overtake as it thought I was under cutting traffic.
Oh cheers mate, I'll take a look

Back