Dreadful creaking sound from suspension!

TeamD

T6 Pro
Can anyone help with this terrible creaking sound that seems to be coming from the from front of the van. Sounds like a slow tempo frog ribbet . I’ve tried to attached a Video but the forum keep saying error.

Update: video of creaking here: 76b080f3-14f4-49d6-8dc8-87dca2e825bf.mov

I had new shocks and springs fitted 2 weeks ago from @CRS Performance so pretty sure it’s not that.

Thanks in advance Paul

Last edited:
put the video on youtube - then drop a link to that here.

or.

post a link to your online video from your phone gallery app, like google photo or iCloud on apple.

example . . .

++++

++++

or

++++

++++

Hi Team D. I also got CRS to put on new suspension on my low mileage 2017 Caravelle just before Christmas. It handles brilliantly now but it started making weird "graunching" noises afterwards, like a spring loading up and pinging back. Steve sent me down some drop links - got those put on - and that was a lot better, but the noise was still noticeable on the nearside when turning. After 1,500 miles I took it back to my local dealer and it turns out there was some issue with the bottom suspension arm which was noisy. This came as no surprise, because the previous owner had clonked the front wheel hard at some point and I've been slowly unravelling the issues with that and getting stuff fixed. So, replace suspension arm and no more weird spring noises. But, guess what - now the other side's started up with the identical noise!! Surely both suspension arms can't be knackered? However, the noise is different to the one I think I can hear on your video.

If your frog sound started up after the shocks/springs were done, my guess is that it is somehow connected with other parts of the front suspension connected to the change. In my case, I also had to get new rubber bushes fitted on both sides when the suspension got changed, as they were on their way out, plus the new drop links. And now a lower suspension arm. So it could be that you'll need to work your way round the system to see what it is.

I do hope someone who's got better technical knowledge than me can help. But at least you know you aren't alone!

Hi Team D. I also got CRS to put on new suspension on my low mileage 2017 Caravelle just before Christmas. It handles brilliantly now but it started making weird "graunching" noises afterwards, like a spring loading up and pinging back. Steve sent me down some drop links - got those put on - and that was a lot better, but the noise was still noticeable on the nearside when turning. After 1,500 miles I took it back to my local dealer and it turns out there was some issue with the bottom suspension arm which was noisy. This came as no surprise, because the previous owner had clonked the front wheel hard at some point and I've been slowly unravelling the issues with that and getting stuff fixed. So, replace suspension arm and no more weird spring noises. But, guess what - now the other side's started up with the identical noise!! Surely both suspension arms can't be knackered? However, the noise is different to the one I think I can hear on your video.

If your frog sound started up after the shocks/springs were done, my guess is that it is somehow connected with other parts of the front suspension connected to the change. In my case, I also had to get new rubber bushes fitted on both sides when the suspension got changed, as they were on their way out, plus the new drop links. And now a lower suspension arm. So it could be that you'll need to work your way round the system to see what it is.

I do hope someone who's got better technical knowledge than me can help. But at least you know you aren't alone!
Thanks! I have it booked in my local garage to be checked over next week (They are good guys I've used them for 11 years). It was fine for 2 weeks, but now just sounds terrible, definitely from the front end, possibly a bush of some sort!

Where abouts are they? Could lubricate them as a temporary fix to see if that is the issue? Thanks
They are the vertical link rods between the end of the anti roll bar and the strut. They have ball joints on each end. It would be worthwhile lubricating them, also start spraying some release agent (PlusGas is my preferred one) on the fixings as they are pigs to release

Last edited:
Pop a pair of vice grips on the links and move them back and forward. You may hear the noise when doing it. If you don't hear anything or they don't appear siezed then it prob ain't that.

If they do feel seized/noisey, just keep moving them untill they feel smooth again. Then pop aboard and road test to hear the difference.

Pop a pair of vice grips on the links and move them back and forward. You may hear the noise when doing it. If you don't hear anything or they don't appear siezed then it prob ain't that.

If they do feel seized/noisey, just keep moving them untill they feel smooth again. Then pop aboard and road test to hear the difference.
What do mean by “links”? Where abouts are they? I’m a newbie sorry.

Thanks

That’s a drop link.
Red arrow points at it
From front strut bracket down to ARB which is blue on my van as it’s an H&R upgraded one.

Std ARB is black (or rusty)

IMG_4285.jpeg

IMG_4286.jpeg

UPDATE: Had the top mounts replaced today but still have terrible clunking sound at low speed especially when turning.

Just to recap:
New knoni suspension fitted allround
New drop links
New top mounts

Still sounds and feels dreadful at low speeds especially when turning over speed bumps, pot holes in carparks etc

Also get clunks sometimes when changing between forwards and reverse

Its driving me mad and really taking the shine off the a van I’ve only had 8 weeks!

(I won’t mention the new Egr valve and cooler I’ve just had fitted - that’s another story!)

Any advice or tips anyone??

Thanks in advance

Back