Coils Knocking again

davek

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I had the standard T6 suspension changed over to Koni shocks and H&R coils last year, this was done at CRS. The ride and comfort is definately better. Only problem is, the rear coils keep unseating from the top mounts, this causes the back end suspension to knock. I have re-seated them 4 times over the last year which temporarily solves the problem. The knocking came back a couple of weeks ago, so i ordered brand new top mounts and bottom rubbers. I noticed the H&R springs are thicker than the standard T28 springs and don't seem to sit tightly in the top mount groove and the 3 rubber lips don't hold the coil in place as well as the standard coils. Has anyone had the same issue and if so is there an easy fix
Thanks

Hi Dave

With all the changes you have done and i tried yesterday , I am starting to think we need to look else where on the rear of the van , 3 sets of rubber mounts bottom , 2 sets of top seats, our ABS spacers on top of the rear mount have all come to nothing , There isnt any marks on the springs or the tell tale sign of metal on metal . no signs of wear on the rubbers, at all . The modified anti roll bar brackets are still a concern , i have ordered new ones ( spares ) ill let you have a set when they arrive . As i said easy to remove that Rear ARB to check if it has anything to do with the noise .
I actually realised after you left , that you and i should have gone for a spin so you could show me what it is you are hearing , when i tested the van there was no suspension noises whatsoever , but i didnt go far .
Great pity you are so far away as i like challenges like this .
So sorry what we did yesterday didnt help ,

Thanks for all your efforts yesterday Steve, i'm still not sure how the coil springs keep moving away from the stops on the top and bottom mounts, and if that is the cause of the knocking. I'm happynow to take the ARB off and take for a test run, is it safe to do this?

Thanks for all your efforts yesterday Steve, i'm still not sure how the coil springs keep moving away from the stops on the top and bottom mounts, and if that is the cause of the knocking. I'm happynow to take the ARB off and take for a test run, is it safe to do this?
Sorry Dave only saw the message now

Yes its quite safe to remove the T 26 doesnt come with one as standard

Hi Steve, quick update, we took the rear h&r arb off over the weekend and gave the van various run outs, sad to say knocking still there, its made no difference at all. I agree the d clamps mods i made didn't look great but they aren't the cause of the problem, unfortunately. Next step is to drop springs out and maybe araldite top mounts to vehicle so they don't turn and dislodge the spring. i had marked them previously and they have turned by about 20mm at the top. Any news as to when the new d clamps are coming please?
Cheers
Dave

Hi there

Ok well process of elimination . We fit hundreds and hundreds of these springs and never have any noise issues other than worn rubber seats on the bottom

Its difficult as i dont know what the noise sounds like when i drove it ,it was spot on ,

If i could hear the noise i would probably identify it ( if its suspension related )

I can send more springs to try , but i cant imagine its that , also highly unlikely to be a shock ( never had a shock failure either ) , but we can try that as well .

The D clamps are special order from H&R and they will be sent with another large order , it might be a while unless i can convince them to package them separately and courier .

Hi, thanks for that re[ply Steve, I am going to have another go this weekend, i don't want to put the ARB back on with the modded D clamps, would it make things easier and quicker if i ordered them myself, i could do this if i had part number e-mail address from you.
thanks
Dave

Some one on this forum did get the part numbers if i recall ( I actually thought it was you who had been in touch with Yvonne at H&R .)

Ill try and find the part number of the brackets the A R B part number is 33267-1 or -2 if its a Zenon / Led Car .

It will be ok to remove one shock at a time and do a short test drive to see if wee can narrow it down , let me know if you need 2 x rear springs as well

Can you tell which side the noise is coming from ??

Back