Door Locking Problems

After having me NS sliding door lock replaced under warranty, its now decided not to work when the door is fully open. If I pull the handle, nothing, the door won't release and therefore will not slide to close. I've worked out there is a small hook on the bottom near the rear quarter, so now I have to lean down and release it by hand.
So I've come to the conclusion, the lock either prevents you from opening the door or closing the door. You can't have both.
Looks like another day off work to sit in VW reception whilst waiting for them to fix my van.:mad:

Had issues with my 2016 t6..fixed under warranty ...
My 2016 T6 n/s sliding door is doing the same - auto lock is off.

Also having to check it locks when it’s been playing up as I’ve noticed on a couple of occasions that it doesn’t lock with the other doors when I’ve had issues opening.

It’s been in twice under warranty - both times they’ve reset the locking system, seems to solve for a few days and then back to normal.

Very frustrating and potentially dangerous when you have kids in the back.

If you operate / pump the handle from inside a couple of times it does eventually open - you can also lock by sliding the plastic plunger down, but shouldn’t have to.

Looking at this thread this is obviously a common problem, shame on you VW - you should at the very least be advising your dealers of the issue and stop wasting people’s valuable time (especially tradesmen) and replace the lock.

If the part number hasn’t changed, the likelihood is we will be experiencing this issue again somewhere down the line!!

My 2016 T6 n/s sliding door is doing the same - auto lock is off.

Also having to check it locks when it’s been playing up as I’ve noticed on a couple of occasions that it doesn’t lock with the other doors when I’ve had issues opening.

It’s been in twice under warranty - both times they’ve reset the locking system, seems to solve for a few days and then back to normal.

Very frustrating and potentially dangerous when you have kids in the back.

If you operate / pump the handle from inside a couple of times it does eventually open - you can also lock by sliding the plastic plunger down, but shouldn’t have to.

Looking at this thread this is obviously a common problem, shame on you VW - you should at the very least be advising your dealers of the issue and stop wasting people’s valuable time (especially tradesmen) and replace the lock.

If the part number hasn’t changed, the likelihood is we will be experiencing this issue again somewhere down the line!!
They changed the control mechanism on mine I believe...a strong letter and legal advice maybe ?

Reactions: SBP

Whilst I have a pretty good dealer, I do agree with that comment. My van is my livelihood, and without it, I don't earn any money. The same goes for wasted trips back and forth.

On the plus side, my door lock issue seems to have stopped playing up now for some reason.

Reactions: SBP
Whilst I have a pretty good dealer, I do agree with that comment. My van is my livelihood, and without it, I don't earn any money. The same goes for wasted trips back and forth.

On the plus side, my door lock issue seems to have stopped playing up now for some reason.

I noticed when mine was playing up, it tended to be when it was colder. On warmer days it performed as it should.

It was as if the viscosity of the grease was too thick when cold, and it needed some help opening and closing (mine worked if you opened and closed it a few times manually).

If mine goes pear shaped out of warranty, I’ll be opening the lock up and having a peek inside myself with a view to finding out what’s what.

I noticed when mine was playing up, it tended to be when it was colder. On warmer days it performed as it should.

It was as if the viscosity of the grease was too thick when cold, and it needed some help opening and closing (mine worked if you opened and closed it a few times manually).

If mine goes pear shaped out of warranty, I’ll be opening the lock up and having a peek inside myself with a view to finding out what’s what.

I've seen it mentioned before about the viscosity of the grease in the cold weather, but I'm a little dubious that our 'cold' snaps are cold enough to have that effect, although what you say is correct for me too.

It’s a good point @Tourershine , our cold weather is hardly extreme. It would be interesting to see if the part number is the same in a cold climate T6. Presumably it is. I saw a lock on eBay, new for £120 so that’s my other option if it goes again. Clearly rather not do that, though.

Is anybody having trouble with the rear barn doors ? I press the button on the key, the bottom part of the door unlocked but the top lock stays firmly shut. I would be grateful if anybody knows if it's an easy fix or see if VW Assist will come out ?

Had problems with side door not opening on lock,not all the time but it seems to be sticking, taken to dealer under warranty they fitted a new part No: 7E0843653BQ, total cost with Labour came to 392.51, think it was the complete lock module, the side door now feels smoother and the handle doesn't feel loose anymore, so far all seems good

Mine played up this morning, all doors would unlock apart from my sliding door, I had to open it my opening the passenger door then open the sliding door from the inside.

I started to press the door lock on the inside edge of the sliding door and the issue seemed solved, until I drove to work and the sliding door would not open again after being locked.On that occasion I opened the tail gate using the key fob and found the i was able to open the slider again.

I can not see anything in the manual to relate the tail gate to the sliding door on the key fob. unless I’m missing something, so it’s a case of waiting for it to lock again then call VW, unless anyone is aware of a fix.

Most likely the door control module. I had mine replaced under warranty recently owing to the same symptoms.

Thanks for the info, I just need to wait for it to happen again, then I can get booked in.

looks like my moll battery is starting get sluggish also I’ve notice my cab interior light is starting to flicker or more of jitter if that makes sense first thing in the morning but is ok after a good run to work, so that may be battery related.

These side door lock issues seem to be a very common thing with the T6. A couple of week ago, the lock on my 18 reg Highline mine failed completely and wouldn't latch when open. Even worse, it wouldn't latch on closed or, indeed, lock. The rain was peeing down and the only thing that I could to close it was put a strap around the bar which went into the track and , slide the door closed and fasten the strap tightly to the front passenger seat. At least then it looked like it was closed (and locked) but I would have been a lot more worried had it not been parked on the drive. I called VW Assist who sent a technician out to me and he fixed it on the spot - the mere fact that he had the relevant part in his van says a lot. The remaining issue was that he had to break almost all the hidden trim clips used to fix the door panel on after the converter had carpeted it but as they were not VW clips, he couldn't do anything about it. Luckily, I managed to get some from Harrisons Trim Supplies and after they arrived, it was a 10 mine job.

Mines been to VW 3 times for sliding door locks. I'm now on my 3rd lock. Warranty runs out in March :(

Hi all, I had my lock done on my side door, 2018 T6, under warranty but it has gone again! Will VW Assist sort it so I don't waste 2 days at the dealers? One day to find the fault and second to fix. Thanks:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I had my lock done on my side door, 2018 T6, under warrentee but has gone again! Will VW Assist sort it so I don't waste 2 days at the dealers? One day to find the fault and second to fix. Thanks:mad:
I guess that depends on what they did to fix it? Was it replaced or was something adjusted?

If this is a repeat problem, then the part replaced comes with an additional warranty, IMO it would need to go back to the dealer that did the work.

Oh dear I seem to have joined the club. Central locking not releasing on n/s sliding door accompanied by door open indication even though the door wasn't opened. Left it with VW Stoke overnight as frost was forecast. The following morning the technician experienced the same problem, but "couldn't" do anything because it didn't generate a fault code!
(well he did do one thing, he adjusted the striker plate and make it worse; but that wasn't obvious when I collected it because by then the temperature was well above freezing)
Will try VW Assist route next time.

Back