Door Locking Problems

——-UPDATE——

I had VW Assist out on Boxing Day as I had a flat battery.
Not the Moll battery problem.

Anyways whilst I was chatting to the bloke I asked if he’d heard of anyone having problems with the intermittent locking on the sliding door.
He laughed and said he’d done loads of them. Top bloke that he was ordered me one and just came and fitted it about an hour ago !

He said if I’d have gone to the dealers and they couldn’t recreate the fault then I’d have been sent on my way. But because they aren’t allocated time to wait and try to recreate a fault that they just crack on and change them.

I’ll see how it goes over the next week or so, fingers crossed that’ll be the last of the issue.

This is the full unit that was replaced.

View attachment 34139

Interesting.
Did he mention if it was a full lock issue, or micro switch?
I think I can see the micro switch on that lock, but is it removable?
I'm just trying to determine if I can swap out the switch without having to buy a full unit.

Interesting.
I'm just trying to determine if I can swap out the switch without having to buy a full unit.

He didn’t say, it was just a ‘full unit’ it even included the cable. Basically it was a warranty job, but done at my home.
I’m sure someone on here will find an item number or something ?

Interesting.
Yes you can, I've done it. However, there are more microswitches inside the locking mechanism which trigger the locking and Safelock. Have a look at the Bmac YouTube channel, he gives a good rundown of some of the issues

Yes you can, I've done it. However, there are more microswitches inside the locking mechanism which trigger the locking and Safelock. Have a look at the Bmac YouTube channel, he gives a good rundown of some of the issues

Yeah thought so.
It's just annoying the dealer cannot access my sliding door lock easily because I think I will have to remove my full door to get to the lock.

I also have the same problem
My doors are set to automatically lock
This was done by VCDS software
My van is a 204 4motion panel van 2007

——-UPDATE——

I had VW Assist out on Boxing Day as I had a flat battery.
Not the Moll battery problem.

Anyways whilst I was chatting to the bloke I asked if he’d heard of anyone having problems with the intermittent locking on the sliding door.
He laughed and said he’d done loads of them. Top bloke that he was ordered me one and just came and fitted it about an hour ago !

He said if I’d have gone to the dealers and they couldn’t recreate the fault then I’d have been sent on my way. But because they aren’t allocated time to wait and try to recreate a fault that they just crack on and change them.

I’ll see how it goes over the next week or so, fingers crossed that’ll be the last of the issue.

This is the full unit that was replaced.

View attachment 34139

Sounds like a plan! Mine’s doing it more now it’s cold.

So then @ Pauly are you able to provide a part number for that little lot plus a price?????
Mine has not done since posting a couple of weeks ago. Been very slow and deliberate in pressing the unlock button the remote so it can’t get confused.

Had a lock issue again today,was on site in Lincoln and the sliding door would not latch.
Called VW assist and a engineer came out to site,removed the latch part,disconnected the cable and this was stuck,he diagnosed the fault to be the motorised lock part.
He told me to call Listers VW Coventry where I was to take it in for warranty work,I did so and explained the issue to the service department.he then spoke to the gentleman and gave him the part number and fault codes,but the service department wanted the van in to diagnose to fault for them self?
After I explained that this was not acceptable to just bring the van in for diagnosing the fault and then ordering the part as I would lose two days work doing so ,I asked him to go away and ask the manager to order the part before the visit he called me back an told me he could now do this.
I as shocked that they can not get me in for 6 days to look at the fault not only is this inconvenient not being able to use the side door for this length of time it is also a security issue if the door un locks !
Why does it take so long to rectify a warranty issue and why do they not appreciate that this is a work vehicle that earns us money and not a vehicle to go too and from work like a car.

Why when the VW technical engineer diagnoses a fault in the field do the main dealer not act on there information.

This must cost VW a fortune.
To say I am pi...d of is an under statement as my time is valuable and this is costing me money for there incompetence.

John

Mines been fine since it’s replacement.

@Johnod17
I think that’s really poor service. Mine was diagnosed at the roadside. Part ordered by recovery bloke and fitted a few days later by the same guy. He said if I was at work or home or wherever he’d come and do it. What would happen if you had a kombi and kids in the back locked in ?

Maybe I just got lucky and a really nice roadside guy.

Good luck !

Yes my guy was really good,the problem was I was working in Lincoln only for the day and live nr Rugby.
If I was back at the job the next day he would have come back to do the job.
But yes it is a good job it is not a kombucha like my T5 ,but still it isa pain not being able to use the side door,poor show on Listers .

Always had good service before this ,will have a moan when I go in ,as my change again next year.

Yes my guy was really good,the problem was I was working in Lincoln only for the day and live nr Rugby.
If I was back at the job the next day he would have come back to do the job.
But yes it is a good job it is not a kombucha like my T5 ,but still it isa pain not being able to use the side door,poor show on Listers .

Always had good service before this ,will have a moan when I go in ,as my change again next year.

I’d get VW assist back out at home. Worth a shot.

If all else fails try Droitwich Listers.. they will sorting for you as a TF6 member.

I had my sliding door lock motor mechanism replaced today under warranty and all seems good. It’s been worse in the cold weather.

The part number for the new one is the same as the old one, so unfortunately they’ve not modified the part.

I also had them check the (Moll) battery and that was faulty so was replaced with a Varta. The starter motor turns so fast now!

All in, top service from VW.

Happy days!

Last edited:
Well looks like I have joined the lock club today ...... I have autolock on and when pulling away it locks and unlocks it self for about 30 seconds , slider does not always open on the key so I guess a trip to Exeter for some warranty work need them to check battery also as very sluggish starting

Well looks like I have joined the lock club today ...... I have autolock on and when pulling away it locks and unlocks it self for about 30 seconds , slider does not always open on the key so I guess a trip to Exeter for some warranty work need them to check battery also as very sluggish starting

It’s an exclusive club, but I’m glad to have given up my membership.

VW Exeter said no fault found on my door lock plus my MOL battery is good according to their test .... not sure a flat battery constitutes as good , gonna bitevthe bullet and buy a battery , so glad I have a 3 year warranty and paid for an extra 2 ...... chocolate teapot springs to mind

Hi mine doing this all the time, 67 plate side door. Took to vw Exeter and they couldn’t re create the fault and sent me on my way the assholes. It’s doing it all the time now, even in the road the other day trying to get my two year old in the back near a busy road and it did it. And then the other day I get engine management light come on and some cat fault.

VW Exeter said no fault found on my door lock plus my MOL battery is good according to their test .... not sure a flat battery constitutes as good , gonna bitevthe bullet and buy a battery , so glad I have a 3 year warranty and paid for an extra 2 ...... chocolate teapot springs to mind
Did they tell you to come back with it in the locked state ?

Back