Rear Tailgate Awning.

Lord Mfwic

I'm Batman.
T6 Legend
I already have a Thule wind out awning and a Vango Cruz inflatable.

My van is a twin slider Kombi so I can use both sides but you can never have too much space and I like to spread out when camping.

I'm now looking for a rear mounted awning that will sit over my tailgate. There are a number of posts covering awnings on here but I couldn't find one specific to rear awnings.

I like the idea of leaving the tailgate open thus allowing a good flow of air through the van, especially when its hot outside.

If you have one, could you please share your experiences and any advice you may have.

TIA

Hi I have a Khyam Tailgate XL awning.We also have a Fiamma wind out awning, with a rear conversion van. The tailgate awning means we can still use the wind out awning when we wish,we would't be able to do this with side awnings.

I find the awning simple to drive up to,though i do have reversing camera and sensors. Being a Khyam with the poles already atatched it is very quick & simple to erect and take down.

The disadvantages are
1) when opening the tailgate door whilst attached to the awning care needs to be taken not to tear the awning on the sharp corners of the tailgate. We weren't careful enough first trip out and did tear ours,needs to be repaired.

2) You need to consider the length of the van plus tailgate when selecting pitches,particularly if you have a lwb van.

If care is taken the advantages exceed the disadvantages,in these Covid times we use ours for the port potty.

Last edited:

My pics show it on the pug but its actually intended for a VW transporter, I use it on both :)

I haven't bought one yet but I liked the look of the packashack for a quick throw up tailgate awning...

I have the same set up and yes the total length can be a problem. Agree the sharp boot corners arnt ideal, I taped mine up last time with electrical tape to round them off a bit. Putting wheel markers down helps too when reversing back in.
In all a nice awning though but mine does tend to allow rain to run in from the boot hinge area, hard to get a seal round it?

Back