Does £80 sound right for a body shop to glue my spoiler on?

basejumper

I have a near new T6 LWB with barn doors, and bought a used VW rear spoiler already painted from ebay. It looks great, and I was going to bond it myself, but as a keyboard warrior who is sat at a desk most of the day crunching numbers, I don't trust myself.

The body shop said they don't want to screw it down (it does have holes in the spoiler pre drilled), as they "never line up correctly", so they want to glue it and charge £80 for doing so.

Does this sounds about right?

Thanks in advance

If they are a decent body shop then I would think its reasonable. Don't forget done properly they would need to clean and prep both surfaces bond, let it dry etc which all takes time. Does this included the adhesive? and would need to make something on it so my opinion it sounds reasonable.

If it's raining on the day you take it in, your van will be taking up workshop space that could be earning them money, so yes, in my opinion £80 is probably about the going rate, even though it would pain me to pay so much for a simple job.

I’m paying £100 (cash) to have a spoiler painted and glued on, so you might think £80 is steep, but when you factor in an hour of labour and taking up some floor space while the adhesive goes off, plus any unexpected fiddling about, I can’t see how they could do it cheaper.

You could find someone you trust, do the prep yourself and buy the adhesive, and then get them to show you how to stick it on. It isn’t a hard job, just really needs two people, and I don’t have any mates (I trust to work on my van).

If they are a decent body shop then I would think its reasonable. Don't forget done properly they would need to clean and prep both surfaces bond, let it dry etc which all takes time. Does this included the adhesive? and would need to make something on it so my opinion it sounds reasonable.
Brilliant, thats what I want to hear
I’m paying £100 (cash) to have a spoiler painted and glued on, so you might think £80 is steep, but when you factor in an hour of labour and taking up some floor space while the adhesive goes off, plus any unexpected fiddling about, I can’t see how they could do it cheaper.

You could find someone you trust, do the prep yourself and buy the adhesive, and then get them to show you how to stick it on. It isn’t a hard job, just really needs two people, and I don’t have any mates (I trust to work on my van).
I have no clue if it is steep or not, hence asking, but from the vibe I'm getting, it sounds ok :)

When paying someone else to do a job, you have to consider how much money could you earn doing what you do in the time it would take you to do it yourself.

Lol. I am in a similar predicament after modifying one half of my barn door spoiler... Note for all... If spoiler is wobbly and looks like it potentially could fall off. Then it probably will, especially if you close doors in wrong sequence (VW and Ford go opposite....). By the time I have prepped. Lined up. Bought tiger seal or a n other product etc. I would snap someone's hand off if could do for £80.

£80 less tax and no hassle if it goes wrong sounds good.

Use the correct adhesive and some masking tape and have a good eye for it and save yourself £80.

Stuck mine on myself and it's the paint that keeps falling off not the spoiler. :geek:
Yep, used plastic primer but it's a dark colour (gloss black, now gloss dark brown) and the sun cooks the weasel piss paint you get in rattle cans so save money on a proper body shop spray job like I did and repaint the thing every other year.:thumbsup:

The moulds use a silicone release agent as far as I’m aware and silicone is very hard to remove to prep’ for paint.

Back