Do you have a T6.1 with faulty App-Connect?

Do you have a T6.1 with faulty App-Connect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn’t bother buying any more leads, I bought apple, Amazon and VW leads it still didn’t resolve the issue. They did the update months ago now and I’ve not had one crackle since. This is 100% software related

Hello mate, I have spoken to my local VW dealer and they called VW Breeze but couldn’t find out anything out regarding the software upgrade you had without your van details. Is this something you are willing to share? Cheers.

Yes, I have. It made no difference mate.

My advice would be for everyone with the issue to call vw commercial customer care and register this as a complaint. Because they keep telling me they’ve never heard of the issue and neither have the dealers!!

their number is 0800 7834909.

I was dealing with a guy called Chris.
Good shout. Will do this Monday. Also encouraged to hear it could be firmware. Wonder how far VW are from being able to do over air updates a la Tesla?!

My t6.1 is booked in with vw york on monday for this issue. Has anyone else managed to get this fixed with a software update? VW york gave me the ‘never heard of it before line’ so not convinced they’re going to do much. Cheers

Well… After three trips to VW Ipswich they replaced the USB ports as that was coming up faulty on their computer. It was crackling before I’d gone 10 mins down the road. But then they contacted VW head office in Milton Keynes and they suggested doing a factory reset on the media unit. So I did this (it was a bit of a pain because I had to reset all the radio stations) but… so far no crackles. I haven’t been on anything other that 10 min drives around town so I’ll report back after a longer drive…

Well… After three trips to VW Ipswich they replaced the USB ports as that was coming up faulty on their computer. It was crackling before I’d gone 10 mins down the road. But then they contacted VW head office in Milton Keynes and they suggested doing a factory reset on the media unit. So I did this (it was a bit of a pain because I had to reset all the radio stations) but… so far no crackles. I haven’t been on anything other that 10 min drives around town so I’ll report back after a longer drive…
Ok thanks for replying, did vw say there was no software update available then?

I have been reading through the thread and am having the same problem mostly with music, I have two anker leads and one genuine apple one and the same on all. The van is booked to sort that and the fact that I can’t select the driving abroad function for my led head lights.
I had a call from Vw today and they said that Vw are aware of this problem and it is a apple software problem and nothing they can do which does not help after paying a load of money and they just pass the buck.
I am going to dig out an old iPhone tomorrow and see if that works ( with old software)

VW Van Centre in MK had my T6.1 for over 3 weeks looking into this issue and I now have it back and no further forward. I reluctantly collected the van and now the dealer doesn’t have the van and they have their loan van back, there will be no urgency or real need to pursue the issue, out of sight out of mind! 42k on a van that has a main feature that doesn’t function and still no answers! Trying to be fobbed off with blaming it on phone issues or cable issues, this is very poor from VW! So frustrating too.

Hi all.
Got the same problem with my T6.1 shuttle.
Have used my iPhone 12 in my golf for years without any issues. Also tried it in my wife’s TRoc and no issues. Definitely something wrong with the headunit.
Using a genuine Apple USB C to lightning lead.
Got to take the van in to York for a faulty seat that’s not tilting forwards, so will mention this to them also.

Hi all.
Got the same problem with my T6.1 shuttle.
Have used my iPhone 12 in my golf for years without any issues. Also tried it in my wife’s TRoc and no issues. Definitely something wrong with the headunit.
Using a genuine Apple USB C to lightning lead.
Got to take the van in to York for a faulty seat that’s not tilting forwards, so will mention this to them also.
Mines in at york tomorrow. Will let you know the outcome

Okay – just to follow up on this. I went out today for a one hour drive and for the first time since I bought the van I was able to use CarPlay without getting the crackle. To repeat again what I’ve done – VW replaced the USB sockets but they were still getting an error code on their software however when they asked the VW head office in Milton Keynes for advice the first thing they said was to ask the customer to reset the unit to factory settings. Pain in the a as this was I did this and now it seems (fingers crossed) to be working… I’m using VWs own brand cable with an iPhone 10.

No - not your phone, it’s the VW media unit itself that needs resetting. Press the MENU button, then ‘settings’, then ‘factory settings’, then ‘reset all’. You might get the same result with reset ‘media’. Not sure. Good luck.

Cheers trying that tomorrow and will report back.
Hi All, I’ve been following this thread as I have had the same issue on my T6.1 with std head unit. It was getting ridiculous that the crackling would occur on CarPlay every few mins. The only way to fix was to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in. Then repeat every few mins.

I’ve just tried the Reset Factory Settings on the head unit and I know it’s early days, but I’ve taken it for a 50 min test drive and it’s now perfect :)

Cheers Phibbo - you are my favourite person for today!

Hi All, I’ve been following this thread as I have had the same issue on my T6.1 with std head unit. It was getting ridiculous that the crackling would occur on CarPlay every few mins. The only way to fix was to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in. Then repeat every few mins.

I’ve just tried the Reset Factory Settings on the head unit and I know it’s early days, but I’ve taken it for a 50 min test drive and it’s now perfect :)

Cheers Phibbo - you are my favourite person for today!
Did you factory reset all? I tried it over the weekend but only reset things that sounded related; media, bluetooth, app connect etc. It made no difference. It's in with VW as we speak to will see what they come up with (not holding my breath) and reset all settings to factory if no joy with them.

One thing I have noticed is one of my USB ports gives me the crackling issue in about 2 mins, the other ports takes much longer. I can accelerate it on either port if I have Sat Nav running as well as music.

Thanks

Did you factory reset all? I tried it over the weekend but only reset things that sounded related; media, bluetooth, app connect etc. It made no difference. It's in with VW as we speak to will see what they come up with (not holding my breath) and reset all settings to factory if no joy with them.

One thing I have noticed is one of my USB ports gives me the crackling issue in about 2 mins, the other ports takes much longer. I can accelerate it on either port if I have Sat Nav running as well as music.

Thanks
Hi - I did Factory Reset All. I remember trying resetting the sound related ones before with no joy. To do reset all, I had to turn of the Privacy settings. I’ll take it out for a spin tonight to see if it holds.

Hi - I did Factory Reset All. I remember trying resetting the sound related ones before with no joy. To do reset all, I had to turn of the Privacy settings. I’ll take it out for a spin tonight to see if it holds.
Yep - I did the factory reset all and yes, I had to find and then turn off the privacy settings too. I keep waiting for that crackle to come back … and so far I’ve only driven for about an hour … but fingers crossed!

So collected the van from VW York earlier, as I suspected they didnt fix it but advised its an issue they and VW are aware of. They believe since apple updated their firmware car play uses more bandwidth and the head unit is struggling to process it. Surprisingly he didnt blame apple and said its exclusive to the older composition audio unit and that the newer discover media unit is not having the same issue. Pissed me off to be honest, when I bought the van I wanted the upgraded stereo but was talked out of it by the dealer as apprently it was a waste of money as carplay using google maps etc was far superior.
He claims VW are working on a fix but if the hardware within the unit is lacking the power I’m not sure what a software update will achieve.
He claims some people have had improvements and/or success with a firmware update but that mine already has the latest version (got the van in April).
I did the factory reset earlier, nothing came up about privacy settings though?! Will give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes

Back