Do you have a T6.1 with faulty App-Connect?

Do you have a T6.1 with faulty App-Connect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've run out of things to test, wires, phones etc I think the only solution is for VW to take a look. Either a carplay software issue or the USB C ports.

I've run out of things to test, wires, phones etc I think the only solution is for VW to take a look. Either a carplay software issue or the USB C ports.
The last thing I have to test is a new iphone 12 thats coming this week.. I cant see how you update the car play software.. How much of the app is in the phone to how much in the head unit....

I have exactly this issue !!

It started around a month ago and is getting seemingly worse. My 6.1 is booked in next week although I'm not holding my breath that they'll sort it having read this thread.

JCB VW cancelled on me this morning just as I was leaving, so mine won't be getting fixed for a while. Apparently my surging issue and the fact my bluetooth basically doesn't work for calls anymore is not important.

Mine got looked at this week. Dealer reckons there’s no update available. And nothing presently they can do about it.

bloody annoying because CarPlay is unusable whilst in motion as it keeps disconnecting itself. And the handsfree is absolute crap at anything over 40/50mph.

not good for a premium and brand new machine

I've got the same issues... I used the give my mate grief for his vw amarok about the echo when i was calling from ym bm,,, well now i've got the van and I getting the same thing.. The music crackle that can occur is not a vw thing but an apple carplay issue lots of moaning online.. I've stuck a few playslist on a the sd card and that works well.. Phonecalls are trickier.. I think the issue is the mic that is in the van... where is it? I did read somehwere about making calls from the head unit and not starting them on the phone... I think so far the best call quality is being called via whatsapp and that way you can answer the call on the headunit so suing the van mic.. Also why isnt there a phone answer / off button the steering wheel? Have I missed soemthing really obvious? I hope you found an answer.. I'll keep trying the options.! Keep us posted..
For answering the call and ending it, I press View on the steering wheel and it gives me the option to hang up by pressing OK.

So... has anyone at all on here had any resolution about this? Cables, iPhone updates, iPhone settings etc... As everyone says it’s deeply annoying - saving myself £1k on VWs Discovery Media system when the salesman pitched the CarPlay cable system seemed to make a lot of sense, but 10 minutes of music then crackling and static on every journey isn’t great...

I’ve taken my van into VW, there is a software update for the head unit which fixes all of the issues I was having :thumbsup:

So... has anyone at all on here had any resolution about this? Cables, iPhone updates, iPhone settings etc... As everyone says it’s deeply annoying - saving myself £1k on VWs Discovery Media system when the salesman pitched the CarPlay cable system seemed to make a lot of sense, but 10 minutes of music then crackling and static on every journey isn’t great...

Vw customer service have told me they aren’t aware of any other issues other than mine which is interesting considering how many have spoken about it on here. The guy I’ve been dealing with reckons the commercials complaint and customer care department is small and they all know each other, apparently nobody in the office is aware of this issue..... They’ve closed my case as the dealer have said they can’t fix it.

utterly useless.

the dealer tried a software update but said it didn’t take as it was for a different unit or something. But essentially they have now said there’s nothing else that can be done at this time.

Last edited:
No further progress here. I’ve upgraded my iPhone to a 12 and got an official lead and still an issue. Next step is to go back to the dealership.
The girl I saw last time I went had it working fine with her own iPhone 12 and lead.
Not sure how you have all found it but I’m increasingly noticing a correlation to the crackling sound and rough roads so hoping it could be a loose connection.

Hi all,

New to the forum having bought a new T6.1 Space Grey Kombi in August.

Since then I’ve been having issues with CarPlay with my iPhone. Crackling during calls and playing music as well as person on the other end telling me they can hear their own voice echoing significantly enough I’ve had to hang up a few times.

I’ve taken the van to VW twice now and each time they have reported no faults. I’ve noticed today that there isn’t an issue when using straight Bluetooth for a call, only CarPlay.

VW have been helpful tbf and they are looking into it again. Two hire cars later - which I insisted they pay for - and still no solution.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has a fix? I’ve tried new Apple cables, a VW own brand one and even tried someone else’s phone.

Thanks

Guy
Yes having exactly the same issues, would be nice to get a solution to it. I’m no expert but for dealers to suggest it could be cable issues is nonsense, been through 3 different cables, phones etc, also changed the twin USB C port and still issues of crackling and callers hearing their own voice.

Yes having exactly the same issues, would be nice to get a solution to it. I’m no expert but for dealers to suggest it could be cable issues is nonsense, been through 3 different cables, phones etc, also changed the twin USB C port and still issues of crackling and callers hearing their own voice.

vw customer care categorically told me they’ve never heard of this issue before ! Which I find amazing considering so many on here have experienced it??

I’ve taken my van into VW, there is a software update for the head unit which fixes all of the issues I was having :thumbsup:

Can I clarify that you've recently had your head unit's software updated by the dealer and that has now stopped the intermittent crackling you get from the iPhone when listening to music/making calls?

If so, I'll chase my dealer to get the same update. Do you have any information on the firmware number or anything?

For what it's worth, it's not the phone or the cable - it's VW's software. I have CarPlay on my car and my iPhone 12 and cable work fine in my car. The crackling only happens in the Transporter.

For what it's worth, it's not the phone or the cable - it's VW's software. I have CarPlay on my car and my iPhone 12 and cable work fine in my car. The crackling only happens in the Transporter.

Which unit do you have. I was told the update is only for the discovery nav, not the normal unit :(

Same, not really acceptable is it? Basically got a basic facility on a 40K+ van that doesn’t work properly at all and we are having to try and figure it out for ourselves on a forum.

Totally agree. This is exactly what I said to vw customer service and they didn’t seem to give a f***!

Thought it would be worth joining this thread as I also have a Transporter Kombi Startline T6.1 which is only a few months old and also has this exact issue!! Every time it happens I just quickly unplug and plug my phone back in which temporarily fixes the issue. It returns relatively quickly though (10 minutes or so). Tried with multiple different iPhones and its the same. The cable I have is just a cable from amazon though and is not an official apple or vw cable. I have a feeling if I took it into the vw dealer this is the first thing they would mention...

Has anyone tried with an official VW cable? Something like this USB-C to Apple Lightning premium cable, 30cm – Volkswagen Parts UK

Thought it would be worth joining this thread as I also have a Transporter Kombi Startline T6.1 which is only a few months old and also has this exact issue!! Every time it happens I just quickly unplug and plug my phone back in which temporarily fixes the issue. It returns relatively quickly though (10 minutes or so). Tried with multiple different iPhones and its the same. The cable I have is just a cable from amazon though and is not an official apple or vw cable. I have a feeling if I took it into the vw dealer this is the first thing they would mention...

Has anyone tried with an official VW cable? Something like this USB-C to Apple Lightning premium cable, 30cm – Volkswagen Parts UK

Yes, I have. It made no difference mate.

My advice would be for everyone with the issue to call vw commercial customer care and register this as a complaint. Because they keep telling me they’ve never heard of the issue and neither have the dealers!!

their number is 0800 7834909.

I was dealing with a guy called Chris.

Last edited:
I’ll try and find the firmware version so you can contact VW.
I went to my local garage who at first didn’t help at all. I took the van to another dealership and they were aware of the update. I don’t have the discovery unit. Just the standard headunit.

There have been a lot of reports from people experiencing the same issues. Some garages know about the update and some dont. Apparently every fault is listed on their systems for the dealership’s to check. It doesn’t seem like this is the case.

Might be worth calling VW Breeze in Poole who did my update and seeing if they can provide you with the update details to pass on to your local garage.

Back