Do I need a (240v) feed fuse for victron charger?

Sorry to hijack this post. I have a victron 12v25a blue smart charger and I was planning on wiring the mains cable direct to the 6a rcbo in the cu until I noticed the 13a fuse in the plug.

I'm guessing I'd now have to change the 6a type c rcbo for a 13a one?
Nope. You only need the 13A trip (or more likely a 16A trip) if you are intending having a 13A plug connected to a 13A socket. If you ditch the plug and wire the Victron charger directly into the CU you don't need anything special. I would prefer 240V mains cables to be really obvious when they are threaded around the van so they aren't assumed to be 12V....

I'm looking at double sleeving mine so they are an obvious orange or blue arctic cable that's clearly labelled and threaded through its own cable sock separate from the 12v stuff. I'm also looking at the DEFA products which include a Schuko style socket which is quite compact and easy to fit:
WarmUp Accessories • Tools and accessories for WarmUp • DEFA. If necessary, these can be used with a standard (i.e. cheapo) eu plug adapter to take a UK plug in the Schuko socket.

The DEFA cables are armoured and pretty much plug and play which is also quite attractive! However, they are not cheap.

As ever, there's plenty of completely different ways to do it, depending on your own appetite for simplicity v comprehensive v cost v aesthetics v performance and the exact factors that could incur the wrath of SWMBO!

Please post pictures of what you decide on doing.

All done, my internal spirit level has broken so please excuse the cock eyed charger. I'm yet to add 6mm chassis earth bond and bonding for gas pipe. Also need to add some cable clips to neaten it all up

20220708_174801.jpg

the victron BSC 25A draws 380w

so at 240vac thats only 1.6A on the mains side. ( w=v*a)

so the rcbo fuse is to protect the feed cable.

1657300523699.png1657300546926.png1657300568496.png

Another option for people is to just fit a 3pin 13A socket right next to the CU, (or a double socket) then plug the charger into that .....

Either way is fine.

Back