Do I Need 240v Hookup?

Snx72

Hi

My van is currently getting converted - Caravelle seats on LWB rails. I'm having a pop top roof and solar panel and diesel heater fitted and a small kitchen pod.

My converter is saying that they can't fit the 240v control panel etc unless they build a box that will cover a part of the seat rails. Under the drivers and passenger seats they have battery and electrics for solar panel and heater ducting.

They're suggesting that maybe I don't need a 240v hookup and the battery on Solar will be fine.

I will be running a small waeco compressor fridge and just using led lights and usb ports to charge phones iPads etc. I can see that 240v maybe overkill?

If I'm camping for longer I could always just run an extension lead. ( I probably would anyway to get power into the awning)

Questions
- Do I really need 240v ? What am I missing?
- If yes are there other options for the converter do to fit this into existing space without building a box?

thanks for your advice in advance...

Solar will be fine running the fridge and usb's etc. I have no hook up, I've only noticed the leisure battery low once and that was on a rainy weekend away when we spent most of our time in the van with the heater on. I have a 'hookup' extension lead to run into the van to charge the battery in an emergency :thumbsup:

@travelvolts will tell you that you don't need a 240v 'controller' these days. When I bought my kit off of him he supplied a fuse box (white box, big but does fit under a seat) and that runs the leisure battery charger when hooked up as well as 2 sockets. I've also got a heater outlet, Solar input, fuse box and leisure battery under the seats similar to you.

You can have a look at my build thread - Al's Adventures In Conversionland - (those pics are mid conversion; it looks a lot neater in there now :whistle:) to see how I did it, but there are so many ways to skin this cat, there really is no right or wrong.

Personally wouldn’t be without 240EHU. We have an electric kettle for the constant brews & fan heater for the cooler nights & when we’re skiing. It’s another option in your armoury. Much easier to put it in now than retro fit.

Solar will be fine running the fridge and usb's etc. I have no hook up, I've only noticed the leisure battery low once and that was on a rainy weekend away when we spent most of our time in the van with the heater on. I have a 'hookup' extension lead to run into the van to charge the battery in an emergency :thumbsup:[/QUOT
Solar will be fine running the fridge and usb's etc. I have no hook up, I've only noticed the leisure battery low once and that was on a rainy weekend away when we spent most of our time in the van with the heater on. I have a 'hookup' extension lead to run into the van to charge the battery in an emergency :thumbsup:

Hi - how does your hookup charge the battery ?

I have a CTEK battery charger. If I need to I plug it into the extension lead and attach it to the leisure battery using a CTEK comfort connector.

I've never had to do this though but I do have a 300w solar panel

Back