DIY Awning

I'm thinking of something low key to stick on my van for the odd family trip.

Awning rail - I'm thinking of the interchangeable one, I have a twin slider. Found it here but any other recommendations? Cheap is good, but only if it's a good product - VW T5 T6 Bolt On Awning Rail – Camper Essentials

I also have a few tarps already. I have a decent tarp that I'd like to use, it's 2.8m by 4.3m. Is 2.8m too long for the van, my T6 is SWB.

Also, is there a way to attach a kador strip without permanently stitching it on? Just so I can use it as a normal tarp for other uses

I'm thinking of something low key to stick on my van for the odd family trip.

Awning rail - I'm thinking of the interchangeable one, I have a twin slider. Found it here but any other recommendations? Cheap is good, but only if it's a good product - VW T5 T6 Bolt On Awning Rail – Camper Essentials

I also have a few tarps already. I have a decent tarp that I'd like to use, it's 2.8m by 4.3m. Is 2.8m too long for the van, my T6 is SWB.

Also, is there a way to attach a kador strip without permanently stitching it on? Just so I can use it as a normal tarp for other uses

You could possibly use pop rivets but it's not ideal.

For peace of mind I'd probably stitch it on. It's surprising what force a little unexpected wind brings.

Actually, the awning rail is much cheaper on here - VW T5/T6 Pre-drilled C-Channel Awning Rail

But it doesn't look like it extends to the front of the van as much as the other one. It's cut square at the front rather than at an angle so you lose of bit of that space
Lots of us on here have gone for the C channel strip from Lightning Leisure or Funky Leisure, both are good.

I then went for the Debus canopy for about £90, it’s brilliant and saves mucking about sewing on a kador strip, comes in its own bag and is ready to go.

any genius way to set up an awning like this without needing to peg it in? It's one of the reasons I like the idea of a roll one out. Imagine a gravelly car park

Lots of us on here have gone for the C channel strip from Lightning Leisure or Funky Leisure, both are good.

I then went for the Debus canopy for about £90, it’s brilliant and saves mucking about sewing on a kador strip, comes in its own bag and is ready to go.
The Debus canopy is excellent....and the polycotton version is a really nice alternative to the standard fabric.

Back