Disable Electric Tailgate

Ned Kelly

Hi I'm looking to disable the electric tailgate. just when camping I find if its left open and the van is rocked it can trigger an auto close, I have a rear tailgate tent and wouldn't want it coming down during the night. I thought that a 13 pin plug fitted in the Tow electrics socket might do it as it disables the sensors and tailgate when I have the tow bar bike rack fitted but just tried this and it makes no difference I suppose it needs to be wired up to lights to work. Any tips welcomed Thanks, Neil.

can you not simply put a switch inline on the power cable to the tailgate module / trigger wire?

Interested in this as I have already stopped the tailgate closing with my head once... only an issue when having the bike rack fitted with the bars for 4 bikes but I think the switch would be good idea. Could anybody help with the wiring?

Hi I'm looking to disable the electric tailgate. just when camping I find if its left open and the van is rocked it can trigger an auto close, I have a rear tailgate tent and wouldn't want it coming down during the night. I thought that a 13 pin plug fitted in the Tow electrics socket might do it as it disables the sensors and tailgate when I have the tow bar bike rack fitted but just tried this and it makes no difference I suppose it needs to be wired up to lights to work. Any tips welcomed Thanks, Neil.
Auto close triggered by manual tailgate pull down can be disabled with VCDS via tailgate controller adaptations. Also there is a setting which disables tailgate completely once the lights are plugged into trailer socket.

Reactions: mmi
Thanks, Robert ill look into that I have the carista but haven't used it yet I presume I can alter the settings with that.

13 pin plug will stop it opening but not closing if it works the same as my passat

13 pin plug will stop it opening but not closing if it works the same as my passat
As I said aready here
Also there is a setting which disables tailgate completely once the lights are plugged into trailer socket.
There is adaptation channel "IDE02023-Opening with trailer detected" which can disable tailgate opening when trailer is detected (light board plugged in).

Thanks, Robert ill look into that I have the carista but haven't used it yet I presume I can alter the settings with that.
I am not sure if CARISTA can alter adaptation channels on tailgate module.
Maybe @mmi can advise more?

@Robert do you know if it is possible to disable parking sensors, so tailgate will still open.
I park upto my garage door then open tailgate in to garage to load up.
Got a new van on order with electric tailgate and think parking sensors will stop me doing this.
Cheers carl

@Robert do you know if it is possible to disable parking sensors, so tailgate will still open.
Got a new van on order with electric tailgate and think parking sensors will stop me doing this.
Cheers carl
I think the system knows what range the door needs to open in.

Cheers carl
Are you asking about T6.1?

Everything is possible, it is just a matter of time and money.
I have never verified T6.1 electric tailgate setup but can say that on T6 if there is any obstruction in the range of rear PDC(approx 1.8m) than chances of tailgate hitting this obstruction are very high.

So you think it would be possible,
I reto fitted my electric tailgate on this van and the pdc aren't intergrated, so I have got used to when to open or not
like having it now so really wanted the factory one, but then read it won't open if it detects anything.

Back