Dimensions for Tow Bar Mounted Cycle Racks

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've now had the Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar fitted and it’s time to get the 2 bike rack. I should be really grateful if anybody on here with any of the following racks could get the tape measure out and give me their exact measurements when folded:
  • Thule Easyfold XT2
  • Thule Velospace XT2
  • Atera Strada DL2
I’m asking because details found on-line are a bit vague and it’s important to me as I need to know what ones I can (or can't) get through the loft hatch for storage. I would also appreciate an opinion on whether owners consider the ‘upright’ (ie. the bit with the frame support arms) to be easily removed and refitted (that probably means whether they are fixed with bolts, rivets or something else). I ask as I suspect that’s the bit that might make them just a bit too large to go through the available gap.

As always, thanks in advance for the help.

So, as for a folded Thule Velospace XT3:
Width is approx 1350mm
Depth is approx 250mm
Length is approx 750mm (this is obviously longer for 3 bikes)

HTH

Musttriharder. Thanks for that - in your opinion, could the upright be easily removed and refitted - I'm guessing that it's the same part for both the XT2 and XT3 with the former only having 2 frame supports fitted. Just to avoid any confusion, I'm talking about this bit:587391.jpg

The rack comes flat packed and you insert that bar yourself. It has latches so you can fold flat to achieve the dimensions detailed above. IMG_6430.JPG

Again, thanks. From your picture, I don't think the XT3 would become any smaller without the bar but the XT2 just might!

Is there anybody out there with the Velospace XT2 please?

Can anybody else help please? I want to buy one of these racks but they're not really the sort of thing that you can just go and see in a store (at least not around my way!) and nor do I want to be in a position where I order one on-line and then have to return it as that would probably be a bit of a pain. I can't believe that amongst all the usually helpful people here on T6F, at least some haven't got one of the racks that I listed in the first post. Thanks.

Noddy. As I said in my original post, I've looked on-line and the dimensions are a bit vague. Looking at The Roofbox Comany, the only one that I believe accurately reflects the open and folded sizes is the Easyfold. One of the Ateras seem to only give dimensions open (and as I said above, I reckon the bar if not removed would be a problem when folded) and for another, they only give 2 dimensions. Halfords gives the size of the Thule Velospace XT2 as H135xL69xD79 which could only be correct if it was stood on its end.
Musttriharder. Thought of that but no Halfords branch within a reasonable travelling distance from me keeps them in stock - I think I'm now veering towards ordering on-line for delivery at home as now I've looked at their returns policy, it seems that even on-line orders can be returned and refunded in the shops (so long as they remain open in the current lockdown or whatever it's supposed to be). I also think I'm going for the EasyFold but would still appreciate any further advice from T6F members ion my original questions (but I'm beginning to give upon that now).

Back