Difference between H11 vs H4 and H7 as a dipped beam

winstonedd

T6 Pro
tried searching but couldn't find answer, i noticed the light wasn't that great on the previous lights i sent back. i did learn they used a H11 bulb in a projector for the dipped beam.

My question is, compared to H4 or H7, is there a difference in power or throw with the h11 as a dipped beam vs H7 or H4 as i see that H11 is usually used for fog lights

kind regards

They are all 55w for dipped halogen so power is the same. Performance may be different if one is say a 150% bulb and the other a standard bulb but they are all available in higher performance versions.

The main factor will be the design of the light. Projector lights are great at focusing a beam, but are not as efficient at transmitting the light as a good reflector light because of all the glass in the way (the lens). So halogen versus halogen will see good reflector light be better than a projector (anyone who has owned halogen projector lights will have seen this!). However, this can be overcome by using LED or HID bulbs which are much brighter so more than overcome the inefficient projector.

H11 and 7 lamps will generally be better than H4 as the lens is designed for the one job (dipped or main), whereas an H4 bulb has both dipped and main in the one bulb so the lens is comprised to do both duties.

To further complicate matters, putting an LED or HID bulb in a light not originally designed for it is illegal and an MOT fail. It may have insurance implications too if the worst was to happen. Make sure you know the risk if you decide to go that way.

They are all 55w for dipped halogen so power is the same. Performance may be different if one is say a 150% bulb and the other a standard bulb but they are all available in higher performance versions.

The main factor will be the design of the light. Projector lights are great at focusing a beam, but are not as efficient at transmitting the light as a good reflector light because of all the glass in the way (the lens). So halogen versus halogen will see good reflector light be better than a projector (anyone who has owned halogen projector lights will have seen this!). However, this can be overcome by using LED or HID bulbs which are much brighter so more than overcome the inefficient projector.

H11 and 7 lamps will generally be better than H4 as the lens is designed for the one job (dipped or main), whereas an H4 bulb has both dipped and main in the one bulb so the lens is comprised to do both duties.

To further complicate matters, putting an LED or HID bulb in a light not originally designed for it is illegal and an MOT fail. It may have insurance implications too if the worst was to happen. Make sure you know the risk if you decide to go that way.
many thanks for this, was very helpful and informative

Back