Night-heater stopped working

jamiemcc

I have a heater under neath the drivers seat that warms on the back of the van. The van is brought from a deal that had custom built it. The controls are camper king. I'll attach photo. I used the heater last night and now when I try to turn the heater on it tries to start for about a minute blows out air then cuts out and the control just flashes can anyone help as I'm out In the van now and in the middle of no where. Its 2 degrees

17051438995303481490102106091116.jpg

The flashes tend to be a pattern to show the error reason, they're usually listed in the back of the heater manual.

The flashes tend to be a pattern to show the error reason, they're usually listed in the back of the heater manual.
I have turned the t6 on and the heater has come on. I have a leasure battery which I brought about 6 months ago so it's brand new. I'm check the battery level and it's green its on 2 bars so should be working. I don't under stand why I need to turn the van on for the heater 2 work. Its got enough power in the battery

I have turned the t6 on and the heater has come on. I have a leasure battery which I brought about 6 months ago so it's brand new. I'm check the battery level and it's green its on 2 bars so should be working. I don't under stand why I need to turn the van on for the heater 2 work. Its got enough power in the battery
This light has come on when I have started the engine

1705144640902807228957802145036.jpg

This is My power in my batteries

1705144696335217360416981129828.jpg

17051447144918305602631365450263.jpg

Some of those all in one control panels allow you to run the leisure electrics off the starter battery in emergency, check the manual for that possibility.

Also 50% charge is the point where you want to start charging an AGM battery and the start up surge of a heater can be quite large, if the voltage sags then it may be dropping out to protect the battery.

@jamiemcc you are reading a crude voltage figure on your control panel. To be sure of the heater voltage you need to check it with a good quality meter at the heater. I suspect that ther is voltage drop in the wiring to the heater either due to a failing connection or poor installation using wiring of insufficient size for the heater circuit. These heaters draw a considerable current when the glow plug is energised during the fire-up sequence.

I had the same problem with my espache heater. Tried to fire up but went into error and cold air. Turns out that there wasn’t enough power in the battery. I use a Jackery to boost it up when off grid. Also, have you enough fuel in your tank?

I had the same problem with my espache heater. Tried to fire up but went into error and cold air. Turns out that there wasn’t enough power in the battery. I use a Jackery to boost it up when off grid. Also, have you enough fuel in your tank?
Yes I have just noticed if I start my van and the heater will start up and I can turn thr van off the battery is only 5 months old it had over half power. Weird

@jamiemcc
If the heater is firing up when your engine is running, but not firing up when only pulling power from your leisure battery, then your wiring is ok, but this can only mean the leisure battery is below the voltage required to fire your heater into action.
It doesn't really matter that your leisure battery is relatively brand new at 6 months old.
Even a 1 day old battery can be run flat. :cry:
If it's down on power, it just won't work!!
As @rod_vw suggests, your control panel is a very basic indicator, your best bet is to fit a battery monitor like a BM2, which allows you to see exactly how much juice you have to power up your stuff from the easy downloaded App
For roughly £20 it's well worth it, in a lot of peoples opinion. :thumbsup:

If you use the Forum search function, there are a few posts re buying & fitting 1

You can also rule out not having enough fuel if it fires up when running your engine.
Normally you need 1/4 tank of fuel to start up & run a heater.
The fuel feed to the heater from your tank is (should be) purposely set up like this, as a safety feature.
This is so you don't use all your diesel up whilst camping

Last edited:
@jamiemcc
If the heater is firing up when your engine is running, but not firing up when only pulling power from your leisure battery, then your wiring is ok, but this can only mean the leisure battery is below the voltage required to fire your heater into action.
It doesn't really matter that your leisure battery is relatively brand new at 5 months old.
Even a 1 day old battery can be run flat. :cry:
If it's down on power, it just won't work!!
As @rod_vw suggests, your control panel is a very basic indicator, your best bet is to fit a battery monitor like a BM2, which allows you to see exactly how much juice you have to power up your stuff from the easy downloaded App
For roughly £20 it's well worth it, in a lot of peoples opinion. :thumbsup:

If you use the Forum search function, there are a few posts re buying & fitting 1

You can also rule out not having enough fuel if it fires up when running your engine.
Normally you need 1/4 tank of fuel to start up & run a heater.
The fuel feed to the heater from your tank is (should be) purposely set up like this, as a safety feature.
This is so you don't use all your diesel up whilst camping
I agree that a BM2 will provide a more accurate indication of the battery voltage but it still won't rule out wiring problems to the heater. Also don't forget to check both +ve and -ve wires to the heater. If it is fitted with Eberspacher supplied loom it may be good to check the firmness of the fuse in the supplied fuse holder.

I agree that a BM2 will provide a more accurate indication of the battery voltage but it still won't rule out wiring problems to the heater. Also don't forget to check both +ve and -ve wires to the heater. If it is fitted with Eberspacher supplied loom it may be good to check the firmness of the fuse in the supplied fuse holder.
@rod_vw
I was under the impression that when @jamiemcc ran his engine, his heater fired up & ran ok?
It was only when he ran it off his leisure set up that he started having issues & it wouldn't run?
Would that not rule out wiring / fuse issues?

@rod_vw
I was under the impression that when @jamiemcc ran his engine, his heater fired up & ran ok?
It was only when he ran it off his leisure set up that he started having issues & it wouldn't run?
Would that not rule out wiring / fuse issues?
In my opinion (without doing my own testing) if when the engine is running the voltage is rising enough to fire the heater up but it won't without then it's a voltage problem. He states that the leisure battery is almost new so provided that is charged the volt drop must be between the leisure battery and the heater but could be either +ve or -ve sides of the circuit. I always stress the -ve (chassis ground) as folks often forget that that is just as important as the +ve (battery) side of the circuit.

When you run a 6v vehicle like I do which draws twice as much current per similar circuit as a 12v one you learn that perfect connections are only just good enough!

This light has come on when I have started the engine

View attachment 225224

This is My power in my batteries

View attachment 225225

View attachment 225226
The light in the top picture shows the alternator (via the starter battery) is charging the leisure battery. The voltage readout for the batteries is useless when the engine is running as they just show the voltage from the alternator. You need to turn everything off and leave for about an hour for them to mean anything - even then they are very crude.

If the heater used to run from the battery but doesn’t now I would lean towards at battery issue first rather than the wiring. Take the van for a good long drive (a couple of hours at least) or plug into EHU to get the leisure battery fully charged then try it again. It that doesn’t work then you may need to start look at the wiring.

A BM2 or multimeter will enable you to get a much better picture of health of the battery.

A lot of these converters just bang the heater connections into an additional fuseboard/switch setup and introduce failure points instead of wiring directly to the battery as god intended.:)

A lot of these converters just bang the heater connections into an additional fuseboard/switch setup and introduce failure points instead of wiring directly to the battery as god intended.:)
I'll only partly agree, it is more a case of understanding cable size, cable run lengths, correctly terminating cables and potential resistance points in poor quality switches and fuses however adequate fusing in the correct place in the circuit is essential. Going direct to the battery (or close depending on monitoring shunts etc.) will certainly reduce the possibility of problems but not always the ideal solution.
As I've said before, so many installers seem to forget that the -ve (chassis ground) connection carries just the same current as the 12v +ve feed thus should be considered just as carefully.
How do I know, ask my ex work colleagues who watched me burn my thumb on a very hot -ve cable post in a customer's large telephone exchange!! We tightened the nut and the mysterious faults disappeared.

Back