Diagrams, Schematics & Wires -- How I Done It --

Hi all,
I am just starting out on this journey. Does this initial plan look reasonable? I still need to work out the cable and fuse sizes. As for the colour coding, green is simply what needs to go on the shopping list to make it real ;)
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 154669
I know I am new here but any feedback appreciated.
In the meantime I had a flick through the Renogy manual and see they recommend 75A on the starter battery side and 60A on the leisure battery side, so I added that.

Last edited:
I know I am new here but any feedback appreciated.
in the meantime I had a flick through the Renogy manual and see they recommend 75A on the starter battery side and 60A on the leisure battery side, so I added that.
It mostly looks good, but I don’t understand your smartshunt wiring. I think it should be connected straight to the leisure battery and before the -ve bus bar. All current needs to flow through the shunt for it to measure it correctly and work out SOC of the battery.

Simon

It mostly looks good, but I don’t understand your smartshunt wiring. I think it should be connected straight to the leisure battery and before the -ve bus bar. All current needs to flow through the shunt for it to measure it correctly and work out SOC of the battery.

Simon
Thanks, Simon. You are right, my logic on where to put the shunt was flawed. I have flipped it to striaght after the battery now.

Hi, I am not sure where I should connect the Victron IP65 smart charger 15a when connecting to camping EHU.
1) directly to the leisure battery as I see in schematics in page 3 but not sure if this is going to damage the Victron DCDC Charger as having higher tension in the output ?
2) connect before the DCDC CHARGER. Will this also charge the starter battery on top of the leisure battery?
If wired before the charger Will it actually charge at alll as I have the IGN signal to the Victron DCDC CHARGER?
I think the negative should not go to the leisure battery but to an earth point.
The Victron IP65 charger is under the driver seat whereI have a 3 pin plug beside the consumer unit
Thanks

Just a thought . Have you thought about to try and future proof your circuit and consider locating a secondary fuse box and bus bar ? IE Are you considering putting in an invertor into this circuit in the future ? worth considering is an battery isolator too and a battery charging lead to the leisure battery(such as the Victron type so it is easier to charge in the future. Hope that helps
Hi Steele t6,
Good shout about the battery isolator and thank you for the other ideas. Im not to fussed about an inverter but the battery charger could well be added at some point.

Hi I want to pick someones brains please to just clear something up for me, am just in the middle of doing my build and am looking at sorting the wires out next Week, I have the following
DC to DC Renogy Charger and solar controller 50 Amp
150ah AGM battery
2x 100w Renogy solar panels on the pop top wired as one ie pos to neg
12 terminal fuse box
All live feeds have circuit breakers Main Battery to Charger, Solar to charger also out puts from Renogy unit have the same, circuit is as follows
Main Batt to the Renogy unit
Solar to the renogy unit
output from the renogy to the leisure battery via a busbar with a circuit breaker, positive to the Fusebox via the same with an additional circuit breaker
Earth from Renogy unit direct to the Leisure battery via a busbar Fusbox also to the busbar
Do i need to have a vehicle body earth as well and if so can I use one direct from the Leisure battery to and Earth point?
Will the charge get to the leisure battery via the busbar or should i connect it on its own circuit, my own thoughts are the power will go where its needed?

Main wires are all minimum 100amp, feeds to all circuits lights fridge etc are 25 amp cable with appropriate fuse which is always smaller than the wire capacity
250v system is not connected ie no battery charger
thanks

Hi I want to pick someones brains please to just clear something up for me, am just in the middle of doing my build and am looking at sorting the wires out next Week, I have the following
DC to DC Renogy Charger and solar controller 50 Amp
150ah AGM battery
2x 100w Renogy solar panels on the pop top wired as one ie pos to neg
12 terminal fuse box
All live feeds have circuit breakers Main Battery to Charger, Solar to charger also out puts from Renogy unit have the same, circuit is as follows
Main Batt to the Renogy unit
Solar to the renogy unit
output from the renogy to the leisure battery via a busbar with a circuit breaker, positive to the Fusebox via the same with an additional circuit breaker
Earth from Renogy unit direct to the Leisure battery via a busbar Fusbox also to the busbar
Do i need to have a vehicle body earth as well and if so can I use one direct from the Leisure battery to and Earth point?
Will the charge get to the leisure battery via the busbar or should i connect it on its own circuit, my own thoughts are the power will go where its needed?

Main wires are all minimum 100amp, feeds to all circuits lights fridge etc are 25 amp cable with appropriate fuse which is always smaller than the wire capacity
250v system is not connected ie no battery charger
thanks
Yes the leisure battery must be connected to the chassis with the same 100A cable you used for the Min stater feed to the dc-dc.

See the pics and diagrams above in this thread.

@Dellmassive thanks for these incredibly useful posts, I have a quick question if I may! How the devil are you removing PIN connectors from blocks, I'm struggling with removing a female connection pin from the wiring block for the rear view mirror and it has me driven lala!
Cheers

@Dellmassive thanks for these incredibly useful posts, I have a quick question if I may! How the devil are you removing PIN connectors from blocks, I'm struggling with removing a female connection pin from the wiring block for the rear view mirror and it has me driven lala!
Cheers
Have you got yourself some pin removal tools?

Hi @Loz I have yes, went for these from Amazon but now trying to figure out which of the pins to use,
I can't figure out how many barbs need to be released etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not easy to explain, I saw some YouTube stuff a while back on how to do it.

Not easy to explain, I saw some YouTube stuff a while back on how to do it.
Thanks, I watched several but they all appear to be a different connection block with some form of retaining clip integrated into them, I can't see anything obvious on these ones

If they are connectors with a coloured clip, these pull out to release the pins.

Little plugs tend to hinge apart from the rear, the little barb facing out through the hole is the only retaining clip on the metal work but cant be released until the plastic has been opened

- Leisure Battery & DC-DC with integrated MPPT & BM2 Monitors -

- Here we have a Redarc 50A DC-DC connected to a leisure battery, (charge Aux Batt when engine running)
- we are also connecting in the Solar PV (charge Aux batt 24/7 when sunny)
- And running loads direct from Aux Battery,
- Using 2x BM2 battery monitors (one on each battery)

View attachment 57429

*************************************************************************************
Aux Battery with seperate DC-DC & MPPT controllers

- Here we have a Redarc 50A DC-DC connected to a AUX battery, (charge Aux Batt when engine running)
- Solar PV on a Victron MPPT (charge Aux batt 24/7 when sunny)
- And running loads direct from Aux Battery,
- Using 2x BM2 battery monitoring APP (one on each battery)
- Using Victron MPPT monitoring APP

View attachment 57440

***************************************************************************************************
Hi
I’m so appreciative, finding this valuable Information. I very recently purchased a very low Kilometre 2016 Transport T6 Van. (A great vehicle for a basic weekend camper. Decided to install a 100Ah LiPo4 (PowerTech brand) DCDC charger and Victron power monitor (shunt with Bluetooth). Powertech integrated fuse bank (8) and switches for the consumers (very light load LED stuff plus a 45 Ltr fridge). Wow, what a steep learning curve for this amateur.
Battery and shunt under the driver seat.
Charger under single passenger seat.
I hooked it up today and looks ok but needs a good run to confirm everything. Then tonight I read your material here. Which I’d seen your schematic two weeks ago.
Your classy schematic above is a similar layout (I think) to my mud map. But it’s hooked up I was worried about the sales advice, and manuals particularly the Powertech DC-DC charger drawings and their recommended negative connections.
If you’re interested in those Powertech brand manuals they are available on line as are the Victron documents.
Id be interested in you critiquing my T6 specific mud map if you do that sort of thing and it’s appropriate for your forum.
If not. Thanks so very much for you posts and schematics. I’m a fan.
Cheers from one Amateur in Aus.

Batteries leisure ver 06.JPG

Back