Diagnostics - MK808

ma77y

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all
I have considered buying an autel mk808 to do my own diagnostics but thought I'd ask on here prior to making a purchase.

I have considered buying an autel mk808 to do my own diagnostics but thought I'd ask on here prior to making a purchase.
For VAG group vehicles only:
VCDS (by Ross-Tech) probably would give better view into internals of T6. Also very well supported by the manufacturer (and by T6Forum ;))
However, a laptop running Windows is (almost) a necessity.

Other popular alternatives are
A very popular but significantly less capable one

Only VCDS and VCP work without Internet connection.

VCDS is a great tool, but a step to far for most. I got it to code my steering wheel as I did it all myself, so saved overall.
However, on a more frequent basis I use Carista. Just to expand on @mmi comment, you only need internet to set Carista up. Once setup, it is just Bluetooth.
Carista is great for fault codes (you may need to look them up on internet), resetting codes, customisation, and monitoring DPF soot levels. Very easy to use.

I’ve not tried the others.

That VCDS looks very expensive but I suppose If you plan to do a lot of mods etc it would pay off like you mention.

The main thing i wanted to check first off was the milage stored on the vehicle module (whatever module it is).

Does VCDS allow for milage corrections/checks?

That VCDS looks very expensive
Brought out the VCDS when checked cost of autel mk808. Anyways, the VCDS is too much just for coding changes. It's actually a really powerful diagnostic tool, not just a fault code reader. However, to fully exploit some enthusiasm and DIY-spirit is needed. On the other hand, well prepared diagnosis or even a single saved visit to a garage pays off.
A few examples of VCDS diagnostic capabilities:

The main thing i wanted to check first off was the milage stored on the vehicle module (whatever module it is).
Hmm... the total distance travelled is shown in the dash - it won't be any different by any diagnostics tool.
However, the validity certainly can be estimated by comparing e.g. running hours of DSG or engine. For example here:
Does VCDS allow for milage corrections
No.

@ma77y dont forget there’s a list of VCDS users on here. So if you can find someone local you may be able to get things done for the price of a few beers.

@ma77y dont forget there’s a list of VCDS users on here. So if you can find someone local you may be able to get things done for the price of a few beers.
Hi Bigsidavies

That would be ideal for me as I'm not fully versed in the ways of diagnosis (yet). I live in the Manchester area (near the Trafford Centre).

Maybe I should have rephrased my question to "any VCDS wizzards in the Manchester area want beer tokens for checking my van out".

Cheers

Also, there’s a northwest meet supposed to be happening next Sunday at Southport. I’d be happy to take my cable and laptop.

Im in Westhoughton near Bolton and i have VCDS. Im not a wizard on vcds but most guides can be found on the net.

what are you actually looking for?
Cheers Sam

Hi Sam thanks for the reply fella. It was literally just to plug it in and see what if any codes get thrown up. Also to look at some of the collected data like hours, dpf and just to have a general nosy.

Cheers Mat

Hi Sam thanks for the reply fella. It was literally just to plug it in and see what if any codes get thrown up. Also to look at some of the collected data like hours, dpf and just to have a general nosy.

Cheers Mat
Yeah i can do a scan for you no problem! Drop me a PM
Cheers Sam

Hi all

The Wife has treated me to OBDeleven pro nextgen. I'll see how I get on with that, seems like a decent bit of kit.

Back