T6Paul

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
What pressure is everyone running on their Devonports?
I’ve just switched over to Devonports for the winter with a set of Goodyear cargo vector 2 m+s all season 215/60/17 and the recommended psi of 58 is way too much! I think somewhere around 50 would be better??

I run the specification on the van tyre pressure sticker. Otherwise there might be an issue with the Police and insurance company if you’re involved in a serious accident.

What pressure is everyone running on their Devonports?
I’ve just switched over to Devonports for the winter with a set of Goodyear cargo vector 2 m+s all season 215/60/17 and the recommended psi of 58 is way too much! I think somewhere around 50 would be better??
This is a huge down side of running narrower tyres.; and why people often comment on much better the ride characteristics are when they swop from 215/60/17 to 235/55/17 or better still 235/60/17. And also thats why VW fit their premium T6's with 235/55/17 as standard or 255/45/18's as options; they just ride better, because they can run at lower pressures.
I know on the continent they regularly use narrower tyres than OEM for winter use, because the grip levels are higher on snow/ice surfaces with higher ground pressures. It's an interesting thing (well to sad engineer like me), that the pressure you run in your tyre, is the same pressure that your tyre exerts on a hard surface.
The more pressure in the tyre, the lesser the flat spot on the contact patch with the road, so the higher the pressure exerted on the road. Very interesting :thumbsup:
So, a couple of things to consider;
What level of load to you carry?
How is this spread between your axels?
A quick trip to your local public weigh bridge can confirm each axel load
What is the load rating of your tyre, and how does this compare to your axel load?
If you are getting close to the maximum load of your tyre, you need to be running that tyre close to its maximum pressure (printed on the side wall of your tyre), thats because most tyres can only support their maximum load at their maximum pressure.
If you look at your front tyres (when inflated to their correct pressure), and try to measure the side wall bulge at the bottom of the tyre by using a parallel straight edge off the wheel rims; this gives you an indication of how much you can adjust the rear tyres by, so that the bulges match. This is because generally the fronts carry the passenger/engine/transmission load(fixed-ish) ; and the rears carry most of the cargo load(variable-ish).

So (if you haven't lost the will to live:)), fit 235/55/17-235/60/17's next time:whistle:

This is a huge down side of running narrower tyres.; and why people often comment on much better the ride characteristics are when they swop from 215/60/17 to 235/55/17 or better still 235/60/17. And also thats why VW fit their premium T6's with 235/55/17 as standard or 255/45/18's as options; they just ride better, because they can run at lower pressures.
I know on the continent they regularly use narrower tyres than OEM for winter use, because the grip levels are higher on snow/ice surfaces with higher ground pressures. It's an interesting thing (well to sad engineer like me), that the pressure you run in your tyre, is the same pressure that your tyre exerts on a hard surface.
The more pressure in the tyre, the lesser the flat spot on the contact patch with the road, so the higher the pressure exerted on the road. Very interesting :thumbsup:
So, a couple of things to consider;
What level of load to you carry?
How is this spread between your axels?
A quick trip to your local public weigh bridge can confirm each axel load
What is the load rating of your tyre, and how does this compare to your axel load?
If you are getting close to the maximum load of your tyre, you need to be running that tyre close to its maximum pressure (printed on the side wall of your tyre), thats because most tyres can only support their maximum load at their maximum pressure.
If you look at your front tyres (when inflated to their correct pressure), and try to measure the side wall bulge at the bottom of the tyre by using a parallel straight edge off the wheel rims; this gives you an indication of how much you can adjust the rear tyres by, so that the bulges match. This is because generally the fronts carry the passenger/engine/transmission load(fixed-ish) ; and the rears carry most of the cargo load(variable-ish).

So (if you haven't lost the will to live:)), fit 235/55/17-235/60/17's next time:whistle:

Thanks, I will be running mostly empty and usually <200kg load. (I will be going 235 next time - but that won't be for a while). The tyres currently feel like they have as much 'give' as if they were filled with concrete!!...

Thanks, I will be running mostly empty and usually <200kg load. (I will be going 235 next time - but that won't be for a while). The tyres currently feel like they have as much 'give' as if they were filled with concrete!!...
I'm guessing you can reduce the rear tyre pressure considerably; are you running 58psi all round?
What does the door jamb sticker say for a lightly loaded van?, is it lower for the rears?

Yes, I’m a T32, I think I’ll try 50psi all round as a starting point.

Just dropped mine. T32. 45 all round. No difference in handling but ever so slightly less harsh. Had 19’s on for a short while at much lower and it was surprisingly more comfortable. So I agree with the above posters.

Folks what PSI do you run on your Devonports? My front wheels always look a bit 'spongy'..

Tyre pressure way too high , the suspension is the best in the business and shouldn't be crashy at all . try 40 PSI as a start .
what is your view on the standard 17" OEM Davenport pressures ..... do you think the recommended sticker figures are a tad high also?

You fitted some EVO (Koni) shocks for me about 5 months back and to be honest was hoping for slightly more significant improvement in ride and wondered if there is any advantage in reducing tyre pressures but as other have said is there then a trade off with tyre wear and possibly even insurance issues in the event of an accident?

Never heard of an insurance company having issues with tyre pressures , but hey ho they make the rules up as they go ,

Keeping tyre pressures down is better as long as you dont carry big weight .

Is there any pressure recommendations on the tyre ?? if there is as long as you stay with in that i cant see the insurance company having any issues .

We do shocks that can adjust while you drive to take out bumps but it would mean lifting the van a bit higher , call me if you want to explore these options

Never heard of an insurance company having issues with tyre pressures , but hey ho they make the rules up as they go ,

Keeping tyre pressures down is better as long as you dont carry big weight .

Is there any pressure recommendations on the tyre ?? if there is as long as you stay with in that i cant see the insurance company having any issues .

We do shocks that can adjust while you drive to take out bumps but it would mean lifting the van a bit higher , call me if you want to explore these options
what I meant was if one was to have an accident and lets say recommended tyre pressure was 58 psi and someone forensically looked at the accident and discovered the vans tyres were only inflated to lets say <40 psi .... would this open a can of insurance or culpability worms?

will give you a call and pop in next time I am over your way to discuss

40psi is too low for standard 17 inch wheels, check the pressure sticker on the drivers door shut and it will tell you where VW think the pressure should be and you wont want to be far from that

Back