Detailing a new Van?

Rids

T6.1 KOMBI LWB 4M STARLIGHT
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So a new van (should) be arriving in few weeks, and I’m wondering if I should ask the dealer not to bother washing (i.e. swirl marking) it & going straight to a detailer & get it coated...
Never had this sort of thing done before so have no idea of cost it benefits.., any thoughts anyone?
And importantly any suggestions of where to go in the Sheffield/ Chesterfield area?

I thought the same way when I first got this T6. But it means you daren't park anywhere, you daren't use it, daren't give it a quick wash, daren't get salt on it and daren't wipe the lights clean if you do. You live in fear of anyone touching it, of kids finger-drawing, of any dog walkers that pass too closely. You can't camp anywhere where a kid might have a football or a kite. 'Visitors' must be vetted before admission. My first (very minor) blemish was a huge relief to me, the van is very much loved but it gets used now. I do like shiney things, but ..... :thumbsup:
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thoughts, I hear where you’re coming from and it’ll definitely get used...

we are going to use our van ( booked once a month to next April - and though I am getting the van ceramic coated In a few weeks. I am going to try and do both: keep it shining and use it. Guess I might fail but I will go down trying. :)

I thought the same way when I first got this T6. But it means you daren't park anywhere, you daren't use it, daren't give it a quick wash, daren't get salt on it and daren't wipe the lights clean if you do. You live in fear of anyone touching it, of kids finger-drawing, of any dog walkers that pass too closely. You can't camp anywhere where a kid might have a football or a kite. 'Visitors' must be vetted before admission. My first (very minor) blemish was a huge relief to me, the van is very much loved but it gets used now. I do like shiney things, but ..... :thumbsup:
Phil

yep think we all feel like that and that feeling stays ......... it's not the van's fault all that additional money, Work and hours worrying and planning we put into getting them looking like they do
for someone just to spoil it .... but that's why you need it properly insured...... so just enjoy it and use it ..

I want to do this kind of work myself - regardless of the time i don't have. Not to save money, but i am fascinated by the whole process. I'm soaking up information out there, learning the whole detailing logistics, and trying a few things out along the way. I don't for one minute think i can do a better job, I am just very keen to learn the basics.

Last edited:
I want to do this kind of work myself - regardless of the time i don't have. Not to save money, but i am fascinated by the whole process. I'm in the process of learning the whole detailing process, and trying a few things out along the way. I don't for one minute think i can do a better job, I am just very keen to learn the basics.
Me too!

I got mine done when new, and it still looks amazing and is still significantly easier to wash, but everything @Phil_G says is absolutely bang on.

I'd still do it again

we are going to use our van ( booked once a month to next April - and though I am getting the van ceramic coated In a few weeks. I am going to try and do both: keep it shining and use it. Guess I might fail but I will go down trying. :)
20200205_151045.jpg

You want to use it and keep it clean?
Yeah, I'm better at the former than the latter!

Thinking about paint correction and ceramic coating my new van befor or after collection. Easier to looka fter it later, I had that don on 2 previous cars but never vehicle that size... how much do you pay to get van done? Thanks

Well I have decided to go for it, new van is due on Thurs (at long last!) and will get some bits and pieces fitted to it then off to a local detailer who had estimated £300 for a light polish & 3 year ceramic coating... (I reckon it’ll turn out to be more!)
It will be used for my handyman business and camping and.. and ... but looked after too...
I’ve had another quote for approx (depends on the state of the new paintwork) £500+ for similar.

Well I have decided to go for it, new van is due on Thurs (at long last!) and will get some bits and pieces fitted to it then off to a local detailer who had estimated £300 for a light polish & 3 year ceramic coating... (I reckon it’ll turn out to be more!)
It will be used for my handyman business and camping and.. and ... but looked after too...
I’ve had another quote for approx (depends on the state of the new paintwork) £500+ for similar.
[/QUOTE

I’d be a little concerned at that price....Gtechniq ceramic cost about £250..I’d want to know what he is using ...but if you’ve used him before .....Remember not all detainers are customer focused:)

Maybe it's the cynic in me but I'm afraid I'd never let anybody near my van with a polisher who charges £300 for a light polish and ceramic coat.
I'd only allow an experienced professional detailer apply a ceramic coat, the prep work has to be right and it's going to cost more than £300 in my opinion.

I’m gonna visit them & discuss it properly in next day or two...

I'm with @DaveD here,that £300 for a ceramic coating etc seems ridiculously cheap to me. When my van was paint corrected and ceramic coated etc it took 60 hours so if it was £300 then it would be £5 an hour without all the products! Not trying to put you off or anything @Rids but have a hunt about and get a few different quotes and ask them exactly what is involved and how long they need the vehicle for and then you can work out how much work they are putting into it. When i picked my van up from the dealers it looked mint until it had been washed a couple of times and it was horrendous,they had put lots of polish etc on but once it was off it was a different van,have a check of the before and after photos i put in the business recommendation sector for Cumbria Auto Detailing and you'll see what i mean. Good luck with the new van whatever you decide to do

If it was £300 to ceramic coat the vehicle on top of what it costs to do a full wash/decontamination/2-3 stage paint correction/polish..... even then i think £300 is still cheap!

I'm not really criticising the deal at all, I'm just raising my eyebrows. I want you to explore it and tell us exactly what is on offer!!!

I've been practising with the DA polisher on an old polo recently. It's been really rewarding to do, and I've been focusing on looking at different compounds, and how they differ. I have used a single stage process compound to look at how swirls and light scratches can be 'improved' (note:not removed) and then compared that to a multi-stage compound process, and its really interesting.

I think i am ready to move onto my bus now, and whilst i need to do a multi-stage process (some parts need some TLC, and some actually need some paint-work), I'm actually going to do my first attempt with a single-stage product and play it safe. I want to get to know the contours of my T6 better and understand how to use different sized pads to work around those contours. My time with the DA has been pretty useful so far, and whilst most forums and guidance will tell you not to rush in, none of them tell you when you should get stuck in!!! I never know if people out there are also interested in the beginner angle, but in case anyone is, let me know. I'm going to book some annual leave and start this amazing (and maybe nerdy) journey.

Back