Dulling of paint finish on poptop - seems recent

4WheelsFromCanvas

VIP Member
T6 Pro
On a dull Teams call the other day I was staring out the window and my eyes settled on the van’s poptop on the drive. Looked like a strange surface finish. Flat and a bit dull.

I’ve not touched it since June and never noticed it before. Took it to France in July and we’ve had the ‘heat’ of summer since. We’ve just had the recent storms and 76mm of rain in the last few days.

I’ve had it a couple of years and the poptop was new (previous owner) in 2020. I’ve only ever used Meguiars wash and wax on it - and not always on the pop top.
Van was really dirty so thought it might be general dirt. Today I gave it a BH Touchless pre-wash, AG polar wash and Polar seal to finish. Didn’t look like it was changing between stages.

After towel drying if anything it’s worse. No peeling. No texture difference. But matt. Almost milky. Only on the top surface and rounded front. Not on the sides.

Any ideas what’s caused it? And how to rectify it?

IMG_2876.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

IMG_2877.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpeg

IMG_2880.jpeg

Last edited:
The pop top on our Redline camper has started to do a milder version of this and I did wonder if the gel coat was being cooked with the addition of carnauba wax lovingly applied but acting as a layer of cooking oil.
Our top is black and will polish back up with T Cut or G3 then more wax applied by hand but will flatten back off to a matte finish within a sunny month and obviously the abrasive compound is going to be cutting through the gel coat so can't be done indefinitely.
If I hadn't glued on two solar panels it would have been easier to have either wrapped or painted the roof however it makes you wonder if the fading gloss finish will shrug off a paint finish too in time?
I did try wiping some UPvc window cleaning solvent on a patch of the roof and this takes of the haze but doesn't leave a gloss finish just more of a satin sheen so better than the blotchy patches but nowhere near the original finish.

Back