Dented door- fix, replace or cover?

Hi all!
Just bought a VW T6.1 2020 SWB and we’re starting the conversion now.

The van came with some pretty significant damage to the door (and a good discount for it!) but I’m trying to figure out if I’d like to do anything make it less noticeable.

Pictures are below- by opinions on if I should look for a new door (I can’t find any so far!) or if a body shop coupe fix it up, or if there is some sort of cover/decal that might do it.

Cheers all and thanks for the welcome to the forum

05B66719-0F4F-427B-9932-F20E8B9EB7D6.jpeg

new slider,

then repair to the lower sill and rear quarter?

a bodyshop might be best to advise on this?

New door, have body shop deal with the sill (I had one welded in several vehicles ago, not a big job) and fix rear quarter. No big deal for a decent bodyshop.

Replacement door 2nd hand from ebay / breakers. Might be lucky and get one the same colour and / or with glass if thats your eventual plan?
If you’re converting the van, buying a Kombi / Shuttle / Caravelle sliding-door will mean the window comes fitted (whether you opt for fixed or a sliding window comes down to how often you’re happy to check and clear the drains). The window aperture will be slightly larger than one you’d have cut for an aftermarket window..
This may well govern what other window you then fit beside it in the rear quarter, as the slightly green VW tint will need to match (and then the tailgate, then the other side, if you’re going for a window van).
Also, with a Kombi / Shuttle slider, thr clips will fitted to the window aperture meaning you can fit a sliding doorcard trim.
Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions! Decided I will go with a new door, currently looking into the ones with windows fitted as it'll save an extra job in the next few months. Quick Q- are the windows massively different if I leave the stock one on the door and get an aftermarket one for the other side? Looking at a standard window setup like Windows – Surrey Campervans have here...
Just looks like one has a slight green tint which I can live with- and the dimensions don't seem hugely out unless I'm missing something!
Thanks again!
1700505739099.png

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions! Decided I will go with a new door, currently looking into the ones with windows fitted as it'll save an extra job in the next few months. Quick Q- are the windows massively different if I leave the stock one on the door and get an aftermarket one for the other side? Looking at a standard window setup like Windows – Surrey Campervans have here...
Just looks like one has a slight green tint which I can live with- and the dimensions don't seem hugely out unless I'm missing something!
Thanks again!
View attachment 220522

Firstly: are you going for windows all round, or just in the mid panels like a Kombi?

Just in the mid panels- I had considered decals for the back two quarters, but not totally worried and will depend on the aesthetics when done. Barn doors will be added way way down the line...

Firstly: are you going for windows all round, or just in the mid panels like a Kombi?
^

Had sill damage repaired on mine, had a dent to the door and rear arch as well, not as bad as yours but was all repaired.
Before:
View attachment 220435

After:
View attachment 220436
This is very smart! Out of interest as someone who's never had body work done before- do you remember roughly how much you paid for that?

Cheers!

Yes was only done a few months ago, so it was a full side respray as it had a scratch along the passenger door, then dent in middle of side door and to the bottom, sill damage, read arch dent and then lastly I had some rust fixed on the tailgate. Cost me £1k, took them a week to get it all done. Never had any bodywork done before either but I think for the amount of work they did it was quiet reasonable. Still a lot of money though :cry:

If you think of your van as loads of separate panels pieced together… then normally the extent of the damage stretching to each seperate panel increases the cost, as each panel need seperate attention and the repaired body work paintwork then gets cut into the lines of each panel line, so it blends.

That door is a cert replacement… one of my old vans was hit by a run away petrol lawnmower whilst I was driving it… I saw it coming.. but it was like a heat seeking missile coming at me from a 45 degree slope… funny looking back but was almost in tears at the time :) the big slice of a dent on mine was a fraction of yours and was only just repairable.

If you pull this repair off for 3k or less, I will be impressed, but good luck :thumbsup:

Just in the mid panels- I had considered decals for the back two quarters, but not totally worried and will depend on the aesthetics when done. Barn doors will be added way way down the line...

^

This is very smart! Out of interest as someone who's never had body work done before- do you remember roughly how much you paid for that?

Cheers!
In that case, window matching won’t be that much of a problem tint-wise.

Back