@Dellmassive`s T6 T32 Sportline 204 LWB DSG PV MY18 - Van Adventure

Good update, interesting to see your experiences with the van and also the dealer.

Mine’s had the front crank seal and also a new instrument cluster, both under warranty and that’s it until last week when Kartechnic found an oil leak (not crank seal again, it’s higher up) and quoted £750ish to fix as I’m out of warranty now. Their recommendation would be to fix the leak with a new seal, but also replace water pump, cam belt kit etc again as part of the fix even though it was all done at 4 years.

But I noticed on one of your posts above that the all in can be done online with no pre-inspection so I’ve just signed up for that. (Thanks :))

I’ll wait 45 days or so and then mention to the dealer I think I have an oil leak and can they check it for me.

They did my front crank no problem even though they know it’s got a Revo map on it.

We signed up for "All-IN" cover yesterday as it goes. (Via the dealer over the phone)

MOT already booked with dealer on Monday,

And factory warranty runs out next Friday.

So I'm fully covered for years 6 & 7 now...

But I think that will be it as year 6 is the lastest you can apply ATM.

One ball ache was the price had increased on the 1st April 2023 from £35 to £37 odd. (The dealer service guy didn't tell me about this last month when I went to sign up - who ironically left the dealership last week)

I moaned about it, and the dealer went away for a day and come back with that VWFS that offer the service wouldn't budge on the price..... But the dealer would make a note on our file to possibly offer some good will price adjustments over the next year.

So let's see what happens next Monday for the MOT.

I've also asked them to allocate some time to checkout the slight sump oil leak after the crank seal work was done.

And to look into a slight knock - that is faint but noticeable at low speeds, when you come off power.

It's almost like an engine or gearbox mount, but very faint..... and I can't find a way to make it repeatable which is annoying.

In fact it's almost like backlash in a rear diff.... If you know what I mean by that.

So let's hope it's nothing to do with the DSG box.?

But expecting they will say they can't find anything......

So I'm going to to and find it with a GoPro and magnetic mount..... See if I can find the issues myself... Then present any evidence to them as proof.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I’ve just had mine serviced before I realised I could pay for the all in online, I was pretty sure I’d get knocked back if the dealer saw all the mods on mine with a pre-inspection.

So in 12 months time I can get my van serviced, assume I can choose when I want it serviced? For instance I could get 2 services in 6 months and that’s my credit used up?

@Insert Coin I wouldn’t assume you can choose when to have it serviced- I had a service plan on my Mercedes vito and it had to be within 200 miles of the due mileage. VW might be different but it’s worth checking.

Just to answer a few questions about the ALL-In cover I've had:

quote -

"All-in from Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has been designed specifically for vehicles aged three to six years at the point
of activation. It provides a comprehensive level of cover for your peace of mind. This plan ensures your Volkswagen aftercare
needs are covered by Volkswagen trained technicians using only Volkswagen genuine parts and diagnostic equipment.
With All-in, we will take care of you for the next two years by carrying out your next two services and MOT tests
and providing Warranty cover and Roadside Assistance for the duration too.
All-in from Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles includes:
What is All-in from Volkswagen
Commercial Vehicles?"

++++

1682054940995.png

+++

1682054958601.png

+++

1682054971610.png

+++

1682054984835.png

+++

1682055078412.png

+++

get it here:

+++

see the docs attached:

+++++

There are exclusions obviously, but they detail it all in the docs.

Attachments

• All-in From Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Warranty Policy Wording.pdf
    438.6 KB · Views: 0
  • All-in From Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Roadside Terms.pdf
    200.1 KB · Views: 0
  • All-in From Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Service & MOT Terms & Conditions.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • All-in From Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Driver Guide.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Today was my first experience of the ALL-IN treatment.

MOT and checkover.

( i asked them to check on the previous oil leak ofter they done the Crank oil seal )

and asked them to check the slight knock i could hear when taking the van off load. . .

the day started nice and early . . .

1682358077244.png

free coffee in the Van center was nice. . . . .

1682358115232.png

while waiting for the MOT to be done. . . . . . . we could keep an eye on the van . .

1682358171628.png

there was a couple of leaflets about as well,

1682358208498.png1682358225515.png

+++++++++

the MOT was all passed. . . .

then onto the other bits:

1682358301457.png

the report come back as all good,

nothing wrong,

and no noticable knock ( as i thought they would say )

they did do me a health check video, which was nice. . .

1682358793112.png

+++++++++++

i did ask them about the next service,

they said i have one small, one large.

due at either timed interval or distance,

so either on the year, or via MFD relating to oil quality.

so i coukld choose when i wanted it done if i liked.

and that i could ask for a LOAN VAN for the day - but would have to pre book about two months in advance.

so, ill leave it 10months, then book a service with a LOAN VAN ( should be a T6.1 ) for two months later.

and prob add in the MOT at the same time.

+++++++++++

at the end of the day walked out with nothing paid. . . . just a couple of job sheets signed in the morning

Happy days.

I took the van back to the dealers yesterday,

I've have an annoying knock that's very faint but getting progressively worse. It sounds to me that it's coming from the front lower left engine/gearbox.

I thought it may be engine mount related.

The dealer took the van for a test drive last time and said they found nothing wrong...... .... GRR.

So after that visit I was determined to find a way of duplicating the knock, a few days later I had it sussed....

Driving forwards 10-20mph then lightly apply and release some throttle peddle. The more aggressive you are with peddle the harder the knock. The only of thing is that is a slight delay..... Almost like backlash in a rear diff. (If you know what I mean by that)

+++

So I requested a test drive with a tech, reproducing the noise was easy now, he heard it straight away now..... His assumption was drive train related, possibly drive shaft CV joint wear,?

He also mentioned about running a "basic selling" program on the DSG gearbox to relearn any slop Inthe clutches.

So it's booked in with them to be look ed at.

And following my own advice, I chose a date that a loan van will be available, so I can play in a shiny new T6.1 for a day or few.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
While I was with the mechanic, I showed him this video clip that I took last week.

With the lower engine cover off, and under the van checking that sump oil leak.

With a cold engine in the mooring I could hear the DMF rattling......

Hold on - WTH

I had this done under two years ago, that's only 20k miles ago...... What's going on hear?

(Did they actually replace it last time? Fit a second hand one? Is that revision very weak? Have the part been revised since? - I hope so as the DMF on my last van was fine up to 85k miles..... So what's going on here?)

I showed him this:

He said, yet that's the DMF starting to go.

He said it may be covered under warranty if it was done under two years ago. (Which it is as I've checked now)

So my warranty DMF is now a warranty warranty claim.

So they will have to address it either under the 24mnth parts warranty when it was done at 40k(now 62k).

Or do it under the all in plan I now have.

Last edited:
off the back of another thread i come across this vide clip i done a while back.

you can hear the DMF rattling . . .

not good seeing as was replaced at 40k 23months with a new one, now 65k, so lasted 25k miles?

so under its 24mnth warranty.

+++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++

1687847620402.png

lets see what VW have got so say about this one. . .

while underneath . . . looking to put the lower engine cover back on i say this. . . .

slight dampness on the oil filter housing. ( i know it was dry last week as i cleaned it)

View attachment 191699View attachment 191700

the outer size is 32mm socket to just crack it tight . . . . but it seemed tight enough?

the inner nut is for draining the filter housing before removal. . . thats a 15mm? (needs comfirming as i didnt check)

The inner one is a 13mm - did an oil change at the w/e. :cool:

--- 2nd DMF !!! - And new Droplinks ---

well, the van has been in the Garage for 5weeks !!!

yep 5 weeks, but thats another story.

+++++++

were at 65k now on a 2018 van.

we booked it in under the ALL In warranty cover for:

++++++++

DMF rattle: when cold in morning, noticeable in park/neutral, slowly getting worse,

Was already replaced 9/6/2021 (VWCV) so within the 24mnth warranty.

Video clip below from cold in morning where you can hear the rattle.

New video by ESD Lee<New video by ESD Lee>

++++++

DSG solenoids making loud clicking noises, getting louder as time goes by.

++++++

Drive train knock – 10-20mph when on/off accelerator. Test drive with tech to witness the issue, possible drive shaft? DSG?

++++++

Starter battery keeps going flat, van needs to be jump started after a long weekend.

++++++

1690824072122.png

Last edited:
it seemed that the Garage agreed with me on the failing DMF,

as they left the van till the following day, when cold . . . then started it up to investigate the noise.

they put it to VW Warranty team - who requested evidence.

this meant the van had to go up of the ramps, take the gearbox out, and measure the play in the DMF plate and springs.

plus send a short video clip over to them.

with this evidence from the garage the VW Warranty team authorised the 2nd replacement.

so why has it failed in under 2years and 25k miles. . . . ?

well my assumption is our driving style. . .

the van is a daily driver for work, so 5 days a week i sit in London traffic for 2hours - every day!

then do the same 2hour journey in reverse.

thats 4hours every day of stop/start traffic driving. . . . so my assumption is that even though my journey in is 15miles, and 15miles out. (30miles total a day)

the van millage is LOW. . . . but the engine RUN TIME is High - with almost constant stop/start events - for 4hours every day.

++++++++

that's what im putting it down too.

but . . our last van - the T5.1 lasted until 85K miles before it needed a replacement DMF - so make of that what you will.

++++++++++++++++++++

the DMF has been replaced ( Again FOC ALLIN Warranty )and the van no longer rattles in the morning - which is nice.

no mention was made of the DSG solenoid making clicky noises, so ill monitor that.

++++++++++++++++++++

what is it?

the DMF - Dual Mass Flywheel, is a Flywheel of the front of the engine,

it has an outer ring gear for the starter motor to engage with.

and internal counter balance weights that are Sprung loaded.

the idea is to smooth out the gear shifting and lumpiness of a diesel engine.

as wear settles is there becomes play between the inner and outer masses as the springs become weak.

this play presents itself as a rattle when the engine is off load in park or neutral.

the rattle disappears when in drive as the load on the engine takes up all the slack so the dmf is solid.

early signs start with a cold engine due to thermal expansion, but the sound will slowly get works over time and miles.

its a £1k+ job as the gearbox and drive shafts need to be removed - and booked as a days labour time.

1690827955736.png1690828449691.png1690828428745.png

++++++++++++++

more info:

++++++++++++++

Last edited:
what about :

++++++

Drive train knock – 10-20mph when on/off accelerator. Test drive with tech to witness the issue, possible drive shaft? DSG?

++++++

well this was an odd one . . there was a slight knock through the body that seemed to come from the front left engine area.

on the previous service i had reported to the garage,

they event sent out two tech`s for a test drive, - but reported back "no fault found"

as soon as i got back in the van my ears tuned into the super annoying knock.

moving forwards i tried loads of things to reproduce the knock . . which eventually i did.

+++++

i could reproduce the noise by driving as i do every day in traffic 10-20mph when on/off accelerator,

the van would knock as the vans weight transferred from the engine pull to the vans forward inertia . . . a dull clonk-clonk.

i couldn't get it on camera phone as too suttal, so i was about to get out the GoPro, when i just drove back to the garage and asked to take the tech for a testdrive to show him i could now reproduce the knock.

my assumption was an engine mount or something like that.

once the tech heard the sound, his first thought was possibly drive shaft or CV joint?

+++++

the story goes cold from this point, but after 5 weeks when i got the van back " all fixed"

i asked the service advisor . . . . "so what about that knock that your boys couldn't find?"

his reply was "oh yeah - weve replaced the front drop-links."

doh . . . !!

so there was a problem after all.

+++++

what are they?

well they are part of the front suspension system

that connect the lower part of the front shocks to the front ARB (Anti roll bar).

effectively they limit front body roll in corners.

seems they are common available part, and im wondering if this should have been picked up under the recent MOT that VW did?

1690826790442.png

1690826917225.png1690827046251.png

++++++++++

wanna see more:

++++++++++

++++++

Starter battery keeps going flat, van needs to be jump started after a long weekend.

++++++

well after 5weeks, and having the starter battery dead flat for four of them week. (tracker and dash cam could be used to track engine starts and battery voltage)

according to the garage - "The battery tests Good"

so ill just have to roll with that for now.

i think they jump started the van a few times to move it about,

then put it on a high power charger to recharge it.

in fact the van event run my lifepo4 dead flat, as the WIFI and tracker were all running for that.

+++++++++

its taken me a few days to get everything back online and charged etc.

had to take the drives seat out a couple of times . . .

im still charging the LB as we speak.

1690827582402.png1690827604838.png1690827646162.png1690827826946.png

just to update the thread. . .

it seems the droplinks may not have been replaced at the last garage.

as we now have a different noise, like unbolted drop links chattering.

i think they have unbolted it to see if it changed the sound. . . then with all the DMF work going on forgot about it?

who knows, (I've not been under to check as yet.)

anyway, van is booked in at a new garage (lost faith in the other one) . . . . for the knocking and the service which will be due.

this will be min jan24, so watch this space.

Reactions: CAB
we have swapped out the Leisure Battery for a fancey new FOGSTAR Heated 230ah seat base unit.

1702224348743.png1702224383850.png1702224368100.png1702224404473.png1702224422032.png

Back