Deactivate motion sensors on alarm without b-pillar switch

tsp1965

Hi, I have a T6 2018 camper van based on the Startline model - i.e. no bells or whistles.

I'm taking it on a ferry soon so want to be able to lock it without the tilt sensor going off all the way across. I've read in various posts about the switch on the b-pillar behind the drivers seat which disables the alarm - but my van doesn't seem to be fitted with this (it's mentioned in the manual as the solution, just doesn't correspond to reality). I've also read that double pressing the lock button on the remote locks the van without setting the alarm. Sure enough the red flashing light by the door-lock button on the drivers door doesn't flash if you set the alarm this way. But testing it by locking this way from the inside results in the alarm going off when you move about, so the volumetric sensor is clearly still armed.

Can anyone shed any light on how I can do this please?

Tim

Hi, I have a T6 2018 camper van based on the Startline model - i.e. no bells or whistles.

I'm taking it on a ferry soon so want to be able to lock it without the tilt sensor going off all the way across. I've read in various posts about the switch on the b-pillar behind the drivers seat which disables the alarm - but my van doesn't seem to be fitted with this (it's mentioned in the manual as the solution, just doesn't correspond to reality). I've also read that double pressing the lock button on the remote locks the van without setting the alarm. Sure enough the red flashing light by the door-lock button on the drivers door doesn't flash if you set the alarm this way. But testing it by locking this way from the inside results in the alarm going off when you move about, so the volumetric sensor is clearly still armed.

Can anyone shed any light on how I can do this please?

Tim
Double press lock on key fob, this should deactivate deadlocks and motion sensing I believe but others may be able to confirm, we always use this method when leaving the dog inside and have not had the alarm go off except the one time we forgot and only pressed once

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't seem to work on mine - double locking from the inside and then moving about sets off the alarm. TBH I'm less bothered about the motion sensors, much more interested in the tilt sensor, as that's the one which goes off on the ferry. And there's no easy way to test that one!

How about locking the van inside from sill switch in drivers door. Then exit through passenger door (double pull from handle), push the locking knob down and close the door.

In case the sill switch is missing just lock doors manually from inside by pushing the knobs down. Finally exit through passenger door and lock it by pushing the knob down.

the double press should do it, but have you tried using the key in the door and turning it left twice.

The "double press" works fine when I'm camping, but didn't work on the Isle of Wight ferry!

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Evening all - Just to muddy the waters even more ! We went to France this summer via Dover. As far as I'm concerned the alarm didn't sound. On the channel crossing you must leave the car deck and you don't get access during the journey. No-one came looking for me to tell me the alarm was going nuts ! I assume the tilt sensor only operates if the front of the van is raised beyond a certain angle (during an attempted theft etc). The sea would have to be pretty choppy for this to happen I surmise - in which case seasickness might be more of a worry to you !!!!

Reactions: Bav
Does the Startline have an alarm? I’d have thought they‘d have the B pillar switch if they did?

Hi and thanks for all the replies. My van definitely has an alarm and the standard VW Group remote. It has volumetric sensors which look like an afterthought. Trouble is its a Danbury camper van conversion so may have started with an unusual spec and had extras added. And I can't ask them what they did as their parent company closed them down a few years ago and 'new' Danbury (brand bought out and restarted) doesn't know what old Danbury did!

I'll try the locking from the inside and exiting trick.

As far as I can tell the van on which my camper is based had a basic alarm which has been upgraded in the conversion to include the volumetric sensors, which is why there's no switch. Very frustrating.

Hi and thanks for all the replies. My van definitely has an alarm and the standard VW Group remote. It has volumetric sensors which look like an afterthought. Trouble is its a Danbury camper van conversion so may have started with an unusual spec and had extras added. And I can't ask them what they did as their parent company closed them down a few years ago and 'new' Danbury (brand bought out and restarted) doesn't know what old Danbury did!

As far as I can tell the van on which my camper is based had a basic alarm which has been upgraded in the conversion to include the volumetric sensors, which is why there's no switch. Very frustrating.
Ah, makes sense if the ultrasonics have been added after.

If the VW volumetric sensors were added, maybe the BCU coding needs to be changed so that it can be disabled with the factory methods mentioned above.

If the VW volumetric sensors were added, maybe the BCU coding needs to be changed so that it can be disabled with the factory methods mentioned above.
I assumed as the OP says they look like an afterthought that they’re not VW sensors.

Thats what i was thinking, its probably an aftermarket alarm that is controlled with the factory keyfob (which is quite standard these days)

Hi all

I appear to perhaps have had only an immobiliser factory fitted, which has then been upgraded? On the passenger side dashboard there is a rather non-original looking button, with a flashing light and a spring press small button. I've tried pressing the small button before setting the alarm, but that doesn't seem to stop the alarm or the sensors being set. I kind of hoped it might do the same as the B pillar button, but it doesn't seem to. Exactly what the smaller button below the LED does is a mystery. I've attached a photo in case anyone has seen anything like it.

Anyway, locking the van with the drivers door internal switch, then letting yourself out the passenger door and locking that with its door sill button does seem to lock the van without setting the alarm - or (presumably) the deadlocks - but that doesn't matter too much on a ferry crossing I guess.2022-10-21 15.37.33.jpg

Back