Crusty bottom.

Jollyvan

VIP Member
T6 Guru
My van (4yrs old 21K) has been into my local independent garage for MOT & Cambelt. They said that it all looks very dry and 'crusty' underneath due to the fact that it's not getting much road use at the moment. They suggested spraying underneath with some sort of lubricant to stop all the panels and suspension parts getting flakey and rusty. Now when I was a lad before all this PC stuff we would spray underneath with old engine oil. I know that is not practical now but has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

I did some research for products to use on my almost classic car (18 years old).

I ended up with two types of Bilt Hamber wax. S50 cavity wax and Under Body (UB) which dries harder so better for exposed areas.

There are companies around that will clean / wax underneath - just depends how dirty you want to get!

Old engine oil is carcinogenic so should be disposed of properly!

Ian

And with diesel prices so high (to mix with the old oil) the Bilt stuff is probably cheaper!!

Also look at Dinitrol - another good wax that I’ve used before. I think the traditional Waxoil product has been left behind a bit!

Ian

Yep i was going to suggest Bilt Hamber as well. Dynax UC or UB for panels etc; pretty similar i believe, except one is brown and the other is clear. And atom mac for suspension components

I spent some time treating the underside and inside the box sections with the 2 mentioned Bilt Hamber products when I bought my van at around a year old. I took off the plastic underside and made sure I did a thorough job,( bought a decent inspection camera to check the box sections). It’s definitely worth it as it’s easier to treat clean panels than rusty ones. (I am in the process of treating my Rav4 too after 12 years of ownership. Unfortunately that’s meant cleaning off some superficial rust before treating). Some may think it’s overkill but I will keep my t6 for around 12 years at least so worth it to me. The great thing is you can still see how the panel below the wax is doing and after first year of waxing it’s just a check and top up yearly after that.

Back