Experiences in Corrosion Prevention

twemmy

Hi all,

Have had my t6.1 4mo for just about a year and a half now.

I'm located right near the ocean, and have an open air car garage (only roof). I'm renting, so no chance of paying to upgrade to an enclosed garage. Constantly exposed to ocean breezes here and the odd bit of salt spray if the wind is strong enough.

I make sure i hose down the bodywork and the underside of the car every 2 weeks or so to try and remove any salt.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has had any experience in corrosion prevention from living by the ocean - any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm keen to hold onto this van for awhile!!

Thanks all.

I can recommend Bilt Hamber wax. I treated one of my cars using two of their products - one was a cavity wax for inside box sections and the other a surface treatment.

I’m not near the sea, living in land locked Leicestershire, but wanted maximum protection from road salt.

I plan to do the van in the next couple of years.

I can recommend Bilt Hamber wax. I treated one of my cars using two of their products - one was a cavity wax for inside box sections and the other a surface treatment.

I’m not near the sea, living in land locked Leicestershire, but wanted maximum protection from road salt.

Awesome thanks mate, i'll investigate that product and check out some reviews!

This exactly. Use BiltHamber Dynax-UB. That's the thicker wax to spray on underneath. The thinner Dynax-S50 is cavity wax.

I spray Dynax-UB on all fastenings, suspension bolts, pipes, couplings, jacking points, etc underneath, anything that doesn't get hot. Well worth doing. Also considering XCP rust blocker clear coat. It's a anti corrosion coating. I spray and brush it on all larger assemblies like suspension arms, brackets etc also any engine parts or castings, bolts etc if I take off or replace them.

This exactly. Use BiltHamber Dynax-UB. That's the thicker wax to spray on underneath. The thinner Dynax-S50 is cavity wax.

I spray Dynax-UB on all fastenings, suspension bolts, pipes, couplings, jacking points, etc underneath, anything that doesn't get hot. Well worth doing. Also considering XCP rust blocker clear coat. It's a anti corrosion coating. I spray and brush it on all larger assemblies like suspension arms, brackets etc also any engine parts or castings, bolts etc if I take off or replace them.
Awesome, thanks mate! Great advice.

Anyone had experience with the centre bore rust and removal + protection?

I've got a t6.1, not even 2 years old yet and the centre cap from the non-vw wheels fell off and i noticed the amount of rust on the centre bore! If it hadn't fallen off i wouldnt have seen it. Did a search and couldnt' see anything on the forum. I know its common but this seems pretty rapid considering a new car.

Bore photo below and wheel with the cap over it - wonder if water gets trapped in there and encourages the rust....

tyre1.jpg

tyre2.jpg

Re wheels - I’ve had some horrendous seizures over the years that needed lots of force to get the wheel off!

I generally whiz around the hub spigot with a rotary wire brush in the cordless and scotchbrite the wheel centre to remove any corrosion.

Then apply the tiniest smear of coppa slip to the hub. I’ve seen wheels with it daubed on - IMHO only a matter of time till its on the discs!

Never have a problem once this is done.

Very common, when i take the wheels off as part of my decon wash process all i do is give the face and the spigot a good clean with a wire brush wheel in a drill, not much else you can do really. This will also help with the stuck wheel syndrome which is a pain if you don't change wheels very often.

Thanks all - glad to know im not alone here, will grab a rotary wire brush and get to work cleaning it up....

Give it a clean up, don't apply copper slip though, get yourself some Ceratec and use a very thin smear, much better and won't cause other types of corrosion ;)

Back