Crankshaft seal no 2 has gone.

Incorrect timing causing piston/valve contact on no 1 or 4 cylinder (either end of the crankshaft) which has taken the path of least resistance and broken the crank bearing bolts (and possibly bent the rod).
Probably did it on initial start up after reassembly (would have make a big bang) so timing not being checked after reassembly is the cause.
I expect the valves will be bent as well (probably all of them by now)
As I said earlier, the engine SHOULD have been turned through 720 degrees by hand to ensure there was no clash of pistons and valves. There is standard procedure for any engine.
I suspect this is the cause of the failure.
A cylinder compression test will show a bent valve.

The correct way to check a crankshaft for alignment in place is with a set of deflection measurements taken between set points on the crank webs with a dial gauge micrometer while rotating the shaft with or without the connecting rods attached (best done without and then again with rods connected)
I have no idea if VW use this practice or how tight the tolerances are on this engines crankshaft. In 43 years of working with engines, compressors and other rotating equipment I have never been in a position where I have heard ’the crankshaft may be a slightly bent but should be ok’. As @catfood12 has pointed out the other main bearing bolts have taken the additional load from the failed pair so all main bearing cap bolts need replacing. Also mentioned earlier was the possible reduction in oil pressure, almost certainly the affected cylinder would have had reduced pressure if the main bearing cap had been loose. The oil fed through the connecting rod lubricated the small end bearing / gudgeon pin, piston rings and cools the piston skirt and in some cases the crown.
You’re probably in the best place to get the work done but IMO they are making some assumptions and certainly not following some well established engine repair practices.
Your forgetting the average tech is just that not an engineer just spanner monkeys

Your forgetting the average tech is just that not an engineer just spanner monkeys
Not having worked in the ‘auto’ industry maybe I was unrealistic, if that’s the case no wonder there are so many FU’s.
Not sure how agricultural this engine is but if it were mine I’d want it gone as soon as possible after the proposed VW repair, warranty or otherwise.

Not having worked in the ‘auto’ industry maybe I was unrealistic, if that’s the case no wonder there are so many FU’s.
Not sure how agricultural this engine is but if it were mine I’d want it gone as soon as possible after the proposed VW repair, warranty or otherwise.
I’m so glad my background is mechanical engineering, honestly I see so many techs that have not got a clue about measuring equipment of any kind and at no point would an engineer say the crank could be bent let’s give it a go

I’m so glad my background is mechanical engineering, honestly I see so many techs that have not got a clue about measuring equipment of any kind and at no point would an engineer say the crank could be bent let’s give it a go
We punters are at the mercy of these companies and have to trust them to do their best.

Ffs. I drive home and all is good. Fill the van with tools and worktops. Drive to fill with Diesel just up the road and when returning home there's a noise and power steering gone. Battery light on with smoke pissing out. There goes my supposedly new auxiliary belt. Ffs. I need my van for work asap. They'll have to pick the f...... thing up now.

Ffs. I drive home and all is good. Fill the van with tools and worktops. Drive to fill with Diesel just up the road and when returning home there's a noise and power steering gone. Battery light on with smoke pissing out. There goes my supposedly new auxiliary belt. Ffs. I need my van for work asap. They'll have to pick the f...... thing up now.
Smoke coming from?

Not good they need to check that the clutching is working on the alternator when they replace it
They said Friday they were replacing it. Reckon they didn't in the end. Can't move the f.... thing now. They will need to recover it. Do they do this ? Anyone know ?

The way to kill a aux belt quickly is if the alternator is not free wheeling when it needs to or they have refitted the old belt and now run it in the other direction, did you get charged for a new belt

Can't see it on the list but they told me it was the reason my van wasn't ready Friday as they were waiting for one to arrive ??
So maybe they didn't bother ‍

Last edited:
I'm in their hands. I'm trying to find out what guarantees are in place after if any ?
Trying to blame me for going through water has pissed me off some what.

As we've said it was never hydrolocked. That wouldn't cause this type of failure. More like too much nitrous! :D

Sorry to hear of latest dramas OP........

As we've said it was never hydrolocked. That wouldn't cause this type of failure. More like too much nitrous! :D

Sorry to hear of latest dramas OP........
Unbelievable. Now I'm stuck again with a van full of tools and worktops. With a customer who's old worktops i have ripped out !

Can't see it on the list but they told me it was the reason my van wasn't ready Friday as they were waiting for one to arrive ??
So maybe they didn't bother ‍
If they were planning on renewing the aux’ belt it’s highly unlikely they marked it’s direction when removing. So a 50% chance they got it right or wrong on installation.
If I were you I’d be kicking off, push for some free servicing.

They have it back and fitted a new auxiliary belt which has slipped off ?? So there's 3 technician's all over it.... ??

They have it back and fitted a new auxiliary belt which has slipped off ?? So there's 3 technician's all over it.... ??
This is ‘bread and butter’ stuff for garages, if VW can’t do it without screwing it up.....
I hope you got a detailed report of the work carried out and guarantees in place.

This is ‘bread and butter’ stuff for garages, if VW can’t do it without screwing it up.....
I hope you got a detailed report of the work carried out and guarantees in place.
Unbelievable. What causes that belt to slip off ?

Back