Crankshaft seal no 2 has gone.

Also could you run the engine for a while and whilst it’s running undo the oil filler cap and see if there is pressure there ( there will naturally be some )
Hi Niknak
I've done a recording but file too big. Are you on WhatsApp ?

Got your email with links in, i thought it was going to be audio but they are video clips and way too large to upload to the forum
You will need to upload them to youtube (or similar video hosting site) and post a link here

Hi Niknak
I've done a recording but file too big. Are you on WhatsApp ?
@flyingging I think the video would be far more useful with the oil filler cap removed to get some idea of the crankcase pressure. Maybe hold a piece of paper so that it gets blown by the crankcase gases.
That doesn’t sound like failed main bearings to me. The metallic knocking noise seems to match the reciprocation, ie pistons / valves.
The engine also seems a bit gutless, is it lacking power?
The turbocharger is responsive as the hose is swelling as engine is revved.

@flyingging sent me two videos and one with cap off, and normal crankcase pressure was there could hear the burble, he has had an update from vw, I think he maybe having words with the previous tech

According to vw timing is out I advised him to contact the previous tech and speak to him regarding pay for the out come as he’s done the cam belt so god knows how bad the outcome is

According to vw timing is out I advised him to contact the previous tech and speak to him regarding pay for the out come as he’s done the cam belt so god knows how bad the outcome is
That’s what I thought, valve just contacting piston crown and lack of power. Mech‘ needs contacting alright, in the physical sense. If he didn’t get the timing correct there’s a good chance the seal replacement is a balls up as well.

Got your email with links in, i thought it was going to be audio but they are video clips and way too large to upload to the forum
You will need to upload them to youtube (or similar video hosting site) and post a link here

Vw have said so far that the timing belt is fitted wrongly ?
Maybe the mechanic fitted it wrongly after the second seal failed as it was worse when i picked it up the second time. Vw are looking further.
@flyingging I think the video would be far more useful with the oil filler cap removed to get some idea of the crankcase pressure. Maybe hold a piece of paper so that it gets blown by the crankcase gases.
That doesn’t sound like failed main bearings to me. The metallic knocking noise seems to match the reciprocation, ie pistons / valves.
The engine also seems a bit gutless, is it lacking power?
The turbocharger is responsive as the hose is swelling as engine is revved.
The vw main dealer thinks the timing belt is on wrong and the seals were fitted wrong too ! The mechanic god is in Monday. Will know more then.

So tomorrow if vw offer to fit a seal and another timing belt i have to say don't charge me if it doesn't hold ?
If it doesn't hold then the other mechanic was right but fitted the timing belt on wrong in the rush to get it out of the garage . The bad noise was only after the second attempt. It never sounded that bad before. Maybe a tiny flutter higher up the revs.
The main dealer said they'd never had a crankshaft seal leak post fitting ( But they would say that).
And if it's all fine after new seal i go back to the other mechanic and ask for a refund.
I hope it's that simple but I'm not convinced.

Go back to original mechanic anyway and start that process of money back, until the seal is removed won’t see if the housing is damaged, it is a replaceable housing which comes with a seal, so worst case you’ll have put a housing on it

Back