crafter not starting

tezr

hi everyone im having some trouble with a man tge that i brought as a non runner could anyone have a look at the log I've posted and let me know if it looks ok as havent got much experience with reading vcds thanks in advanced for any help

Attachments

• LOG-01-IDE00021_&11.CSV
    37.6 KB · Views: 7
Well, during the first cranking there was no fuel pressure (red) and (thus) injectors were not fired (main injection duration=0).

1695451640368.png

The second cranking is more interesting - what was done betweeen the first and the second logged cranking? Obviously there was at least one attempt in between the logged two?

• Engine controller thinks it's good to go:
    • commands injectors to fire at 3.17 seconds (dark green)
    • also rail pressure regulation changes mode
  • The pressure build-up is quite slow (from 2.68 to 3.17 seconds when injectors are commanded to fire (injection duration)
    • this wouldn't prevent engine to start - just an observation
  • IMO indicated Fuel pressure is "too" stable (orange) - it sticks at 32000 kPa even after cranking and then suddenly drops to 0
    • Possibly there is still air in the system??

1695452182982.png

1695452940232.png

Electrically the ECU seemed to be happy on the seconds logged cranking. However, we cannot conclude if the injectors actually injected fuel.

The first cranking with no pressure is very strange. Was the system bleeded - so was there fuel up to HPFP?
Have you checked the HPPF?

Well, during the first cranking there was no fuel pressure (red) and (thus) injectors were not fired (main injection duration=0).

View attachment 214927

The second cranking is more interesting - what was done betweeen the first and the second logged cranking? Obviously there was at least one attempt in between the logged two?

• Engine controller thinks it's good to go:
    • commands injectors to fire at 3.17 seconds (dark green)
    • also rail pressure regulation changes mode
  • The pressure build-up is quite slow (from 2.68 to 3.17 seconds when injectors are commanded to fire (injection duration)
    • this wouldn't prevent engine to start - just an observation
  • IMO indicated Fuel pressure is "too" stable (orange) - it sticks at 32000 kPa even after cranking and then suddenly drops to 0
    • Possibly there is still air in the system??

View attachment 214928

View attachment 214929

Electrically the ECU seemed to be happy on the seconds logged cranking. However, we cannot conclude if the injectors actually injected fuel.

The first cranking with no pressure is very strange. Was the system bleeded - so was there fuel up to HPFP?
Have you checked the HPPF?
hi thanks mmi for the info. On the second crank i removed the fuel pressure sensor pulg from the rail and i got a fuel pressure reading. I have checked for metal in the fuel but didnt find anything so thought that the hpfp may not be the problem but no fuel pressure till sensor was unpluged on the rail. Any other logs i can check and post to get a better insight to it if so please let me know and ill get them asap. Failing that would you know what compression i should be looking for on the cylinders thanks.

Last edited:
on the second crank i removed the fuel pressure sensor pulg from the rail and i got a fuel pressure reading
no fuel pressure till sensor was unpluged on the rail

So I guess actually still no fuel pressure?

Have you seen these?

Failing that would you know what compression i should be looking for on the cylinders thanks.
These are for T6 engines but would expect to be very similar for Crafter.
1695469726975.png

So I guess actually still no fuel pressure?

Have you seen these?

These are for T6 engines but would expect to be very similar for Crafter.
View attachment 214973
thanks aging for the info do you know if i have low compression would that course low/ no fuel pressure

On the second crank i removed the fuel pressure sensor pulg from the rail and i got a fuel pressure reading.

To me that sounds like the ECU is providing a pre-calculated substitute pressure in the absence of the sensor. VCDS is then showing the substitute value - perhaps the engine would continue to run with the substitute, if it happened in midst of a journey, but refuses to start knowing there's no measurement from the sensor.

Quote from Bosch Automotive Handbook:

"The level 1 software contains the desired application functions. These check the plausibility of input signals supplied by different sensors and thereby blank out invalid sensors and implement appropriate substitute reactions. The level 2 software calculates in parallel in an independent computer core parts of the application software in a redundant, independent implementation (e.g., generation of torque or triggering the starter). The output stages are enabled only when both levels arrive at the same result."

Rail pressure sensors are not that expensive (some tenners) - I would consider changing that, just to be sure rail pressure is really zero, before diving deep to other alternatives.

Last edited:
Back