2018 Crafter cambelt change & wont start

Harry H 96

Recently the cambelt went on my 2018 2.0tdi crafter. The belt had not completely snapped, it had frayed on one edge and the part that came off seemed to get jammed up. The head of the engine has been off and to the mechanics shock there is no bent valves or broken rockers. Everything within the top end of the engine including the camshafts has been checked.
We proceeded to re time the engine and fit a new belt kit and water pump.
Now when we turn the key the engine just turns over and over but will not start. Spraying easy start down the intake causes the engine to fire up on all 4 cylinders but then it very quickly cuts back out.
We are now questioning if it is fuel related but can't find a problem regarding that after checking that diesel is getting to the injectors.
I know it's a long shot but we are all scratching our heads here and just wondered if anyone could point us in the right direction. Or if someone has had/done something similar?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thank you

Any response would be a guessing game without a fault scan of the vehicle and any codes it produces

Is the HP fuel pump driven from one of the camshafts? If so the (assumed) abrupt stop or other out of time event could have caused damage to it?

I know that the pump is driven by the belt but not sure. The camshafts have been out and checked and all the lobes are correct and not damaged

I would expect a fault scan to report something on the issue, anything from cam/crank position sensors to fuelling issues/pressure etc etc
Theres so many things that could be going on, do you have VCDS or access to a scan tool ?

I would expect a fault scan to report something on the issue, anything from cam/crank position sensors to fuelling issues/pressure etc etc
Theres so many things that could be going on, do you have VCDS or access to a scan tool ?
There was various faults thrown up but I don't have them to hand. I will try get them.

I would make a note of them all, then clear all fault codes then try and run it again and see what comes back, that should give you some direction to work in

Has the HPFP been timed correctly?
I believe so. The timing on the crank was out when we turned it by hand with a socket. So this was put back correctly with the tool then the other two locking pins were put in to the Cam and fuel pump

I believe so. The timing on the crank was out when we turned it by hand with a socket. So this was put back correctly with the tool then the other two locking pins were put in to the Cam and fuel pump
Was the engine turned at least 720 degrees after tensioning the belt and pins inserted to check still timed correctly?

Was the engine turned at least 720 degrees after tensioning the belt and pins inserted to check still timed correctly?
Since the timing has been done the engine has been turned over many times and timing is still correct. This leads us to think it could be a fuel problem. Maybe the lift pump from the tank? It's just strange that it could be something like that coincidently breaking as well

Back