Corrosion Underneath T6 Less Than 1 Year Old

Stealth Van Man

Hi I am new to forums. I brought a 6 month old T6 highline (now 1 year old) and it has quite a lot of surface corrosion on the rear suspension arms and front suspension arms. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Does anyone else have a t6 around the same age with this issue?

I have contacted the VW dealership and they done a video of my van https://video.citnow.com/vxR2HK7QwCz
seem to think it is ok for a vehicle this age...

wouldn't worry too much about it.
these are parts that take a beating!...
you could always clean them and hammerite them if it puts your mind at ease but il waill alwayes get dirty/sanded by dirt etc...

That's quote normal on cast components, its cosmetic and as mentioned just hammerite them if you don't like it.

Ok nice one cheers guys. I was just a bit shocked to first see this on almost new van. Perhaps the first 6 months of its life were spent in the docks or close to a salt water environment or something...
I'm fitting a diesel heater in the next couple of weeks so will take the opportunity to put some hammerite on it when its jacked up.

To be honest, having looked at the video a couple of times, the amount of surface rust on the suspension arms is alarming & I think you're right to express some concern. It's perfectly normal I'm sure, but that normality should be a better standard. With all the grit blasting they get under there, they do take some pounding, and I'm not after concours finishes, but rust..? Really..? On suspension arms..? Not good enough in 2018 VW I'm afraid.

As I write the van is still at the dealership (for a battery issue and annoying rattle passenger side they haven’t yet resolved).
I’ve expressed my concerns regarding rate of corrosion on a newish van and i am still awaiting an official response from there warranty expert. I was kinda looking for ammo so I could say to them this is what a 1 yr old 67 plate t6 suspension arms should look like then compare it to mine 67 plate and look at mine sort of thing. When I’m back there I’ll see what they have on their forecourt for comparsion..
The dealership has provided a 61 plate caddy as a curtosy van and tbh the rust under that looks similar but then that is a 7 yr old van!

Do you live near to the sea?

I've seen some quite corroded undersides of cars having come from coastal areas. My car came from Worthing and is a right mess underneath. Looks far worse than it actually is though.

Yes, south coast but since my ownership it’s been nowhere near salt spray etc.
I brought it blind from a VW dealership and traveled up north to Glasgow to collect after they sent a few videos or the vechile (none underneath it) and it appeared in great condition. When I went to collect it was hammering it down with rain so didn’t even look under the vechile as thought wouldn’t have to on a 6month old van. It was only when I got back south I noticed it.

I received a T6 transporter, ex-dealer demo, 10 months had been parked outside with dealer 100metres from sea (after being shipped). Very very substantial rust all over underneath of vehicle.It was never checked underneath by dealer before sale and I am currently seeking a replacement under Consumer Law, as rust damage so substantial on arrival that mine is a pretty open and shut case. Getting Vw to honour their legal obligations has proven interesting. My vehicle would eventually in time be unroadworthy as a consequence of the rust, and falls under the Consumer Law guarantees in Australia as not of acceptable quality.There have been scuffles between head office and the dealership as to who is legally responsible, which is not my concern, but lots of to-ing and fro-ing between them. At this stage it appears that head office has assumed legal liability, which means at least some degree of manufacturing defect. Paid good money for it, dealer had no idea it was rusty. Hope that's helpful.

Back