Converting one of the last TSI's (but not the last TSI)! My build thread

Thread title edited accordingly

Converting (not) one of the last TSI's! My build thread

:think smile bounce:

Its ok im off to bed in a minute andy you can change it back ;)

Thread title edited accordingly

Converting (not) one of the last TSI's! My build thread

:think smile bounce:

Its ok im off to bed in a minute andy you can change it back ;)
I'd already changed it!

So, having thrown some ideas into a couple of threads about under seat batteries and DC-DC charging, I need to actually plan what to do for leisure electrics this season.

When we were thinking about what our devices need when we go camping they are almost exclusively powered or charged by USB. Even when we've taken a booster battery pack camping we've only ever used the AC or DC outlets to run USB lights and an air pump. It didn't last a three night stay, which at 10Ah (usable) is not a surprise.

When we've booked an EHU extension we've used a fan heater, once, otherwise just packed the 4-way with USB chargers or previous to that, a baby monitor base station. We've even taken a 240V - 12V PSU with cigarette lighter socket to run our pump for air beds when we had a EHU and left the booster pack at home.

So could we make a 29.4Ah lithium all-in-one work. Well, it would last the three days of our normal use in tents without any problem.

But could we permanently run the lighting in a conversion from USB? And what about a fridge, one of the real tangible benefits of a camper? A compressor one would work, if we had solar permanently. Could we build a compressor fridge coolbox into a lined drawer by way of insulated jacket and thereby optimise the use of power within those limits. Well, yes, with a solar panel that could deliver 120W+ reliably, completely.

Back to the @Dellmassive threads to find the panel and coolbox or fixed fridge? Are they more efficient?

Time to Get you Solar & Fridge MOJO on @Andysmee

only 125 days to CamperJam21

and

only 139 days to T6F Summer Camp

Time to Get you Solar & Fridge MOJO on @Andysmee

only 125 days to CamperJam21

and

only 139 days to T6F Summer Camp

We're going away sooner than that, but the beauty is that I don't need to "install" it. Worse case, I'm ready!

Seems we have settled on a colour, time to update my mock-up:

My-mystery-colour.png
Trying to avoid a bathtub on top like this one though...

And trying out the loc8 table today:
PXL_20210228_131841741.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
PXL_20210408_201550515.jpg
Starting to work on ideas for the roof lighting, playing with headlining and alcantara/suede

Reactions: CAB
Been doing what I can while not having the van but only one more week before the paintwork is done, so excited (apart from taking the side off my other car this week, so that's needing paintwork now). I've got a relay setup to run the lighting, more cuts to make in the roof lining boards to fit the lights, mat for rear bench to go over the rails, need to modify the rear threshold and refit, awning/screenhouse (amazing, 90 seconds to take down), cab window cover, jumbo ramps, porta potti, battery tie down to remake, insulation to split for roof, lots of wiring to run, and a bed extension to make, and reduced height seat base to fit, all before the bank holiday weekend... wish me luck

Last edited:
Few snags before I can pick up the van tomorrow, so picked up some bits to make the most of my time
PXL_20210424_171025470.jpg

PXL_20210427_220341783~2.jpg
PXL_20210427_220411580~2.jpg
PXL_20210427_220721147.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20210427_220650913.NIGHT.jpg
Got some leisure lighting in, relayed off the courtesy lighting. Adjustable for nighttime, and warm vs cool.
PXL_20210427_080808594.jpg

Reactions: CAB
We've come a long way with the van, both physically and metaphorically. All the way out to Wales (no crawler lane for us, let me tell you) and since we picked it up as an ex-rental dented panel van...slight overhaul.

You can see it's far from finished (due to limit of funds), but will sleep four tonight. Now sipping bubbles while the kids pretend to try to sleep!

PXL_20210501_164940369~2.jpg
PXL_20210501_163245347~3.jpg
PXL_20210501_153133403.MP.jpg

Back