nikster

T6 Pro
Hi all I think we’re in the market now to move on from our lovely Beryl T6 Velle and go all out camper, starting to look around but thought I’d reach out to you guys to get the thoughts on who’s top notch nowadays.

Have seen a lot of ‘we will source the van for you and convert‘ which obviously takes a lot of hassle out it but I know I’m going to be picky and want to retain as much of the Velle experience as we can - although quite interested in adding 4x4 to the list of hope!

Did ponder converting Beryl but she’s a 2017 205 model with only 20k and all the bells & whistles - would of thought I’d be better off selling and using the funds to build to our spec or find a stunner already done!

One last q, I think I am right in going this way rather than California to get most for the money? - we have 2 young kids so want to maximise the space - might even consider long wheelbase although she who must be obeyed isn’t keen as she uses it as her everyday drive.

Cheers

Nick

I guess selling the Caravelle would give a good source of funds for the conversion but if you are looking for all the bells and whistles the velle provides and especially a 4M then you would surely be looking for a top end Kombi with a lot of options which aren’t cheap either. The advantage of this could be that you can pick and choose the options from the velle that are important to you but if you can find the vehicle of your dreams then I still think you would be paying a premium. Alternatively you can get something nearly there and retrofit nearly everything but again at a cost.

I started with a panel van and I’ve been gradually adding some bells (haven’t got to the whistles yet!) but the costs have added up big time

I guess selling the Caravelle would give a good source of funds for the conversion but if you are looking for all the bells and whistles the velle provides and especially a 4M then you would surely be looking for a top end Kombi with a lot of options which aren’t cheap either. The advantage of this could be that you can pick and choose the options from the velle that are important to you but if you can find the vehicle of your dreams then I still think you would be paying a premium. Alternatively you can get something nearly there and retrofit nearly everything but again at a cost.

I started with a panel van and I’ve been gradually adding some bells (haven’t got to the whistles yet!) but the costs have added up big time
Thanks CGT yep get that and I know I’ll have to compromise somewhere - but got to aim high ;-) I’m happy to do ‘nice to have’ retrofits as time passes. The 4M isnt the be all and end all by any means I’d take a good fit out with quality finish and decent powered engine first and foremost. Although reverse cam and sensors are pretty much on the must haves with my missus at the wheel!

I had the reversing camera retro fitted by the converters as this was an essential for us too (just the wife obviously not me ;) ). I don’t like the job they did as they didn’t use an OEM kit but anyway the point was that this can be retrofitted too but easier before conversion.

Revampavan in Christchurch are very good, lots of good feedback from people I know.

Money no object then Vanworx or VanHaven.

If you’ve got the digital climate control in your current van I’d keep it and get it converted, it’s one thing that I’m really missing after coming from a Tiguan.

If you’ve got the digital climate control in your current van I’d keep it and get it converted, it’s one thing that I’m really missing after coming from a Tiguan.

One of my fav parts! Yep we’ve got business ver

Thanks for those will check them out - How about Wessex Vans in Poole? Any word on them - website looks good

God no, anybody but that shower.

A friend had some work done by Shadow Customs, he was happy with them.

Thanks guys - much appreciated - is anyone aware of a successful Velle to camper conversion thats been done - doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility - but that's only in my head of course!

Old Harry Campers in Swanage fitted a Hilo Sport conversation as well as some other odds and sods. very pleased a all teething problems sorted.

Hi Nikster, I collected my conversion from Vanworx late last year. Though usage has been limited so far I have been really happy with it - bad squeak on the bed which I will return with when the world gets back to normal. I sourced my own van and then after a lot of research went with Vanworx - which was a combination of price (not the cheapest, but not the most expensive by far), quality - I visited their factory, along with a few others and they agreed to fit a lithium battery/solar panel/electric hob so I don't use gas.

The only slight oddity with converting the Caravelle would be the drivers side sliding door being redundant, however that door could provide easy access to the gas bottle and any under sink water containers.

I wouldn't normally encourage vandalizing a luxury minibus but if losing a bench seat gives you an holiday home then it's a win!

Hi I recently bought a 2018 t6 and live right down in the end of cornwall I have had a few quotes from some companies near me and was just wondering if there any company people can recommend in cornwall/Devon.

Thank Pete.

Anyone good will have a long wait time, so be prepared for that. And next I’d say find the right converter for what you want, even if that means going further afield. And look at some of their work too, so you know exactly what it looks and feels like - that tells it’s own story.

I used Cambee in Devon because they focus on the type of conversion I wanted and was happy to travel 200 miles to get that. May not be the style you want, but fantastic quality and great customer service.

We used Vanquest (based in Bideford) for our conversion based on the fact that we hired one of their vans. Very happy with the design & build and they are very accomodating if you have ideas of your own. They have many pictures of the conversions they have done on their Facebook page. Log in to Facebook

Hi we have a T6 and I’m doing some research into conversion companies who have Type approval and crash tested beds. We live in sunny Devon any advice gratefully received

In your area (100 mile radius), actual VW approval you’ve got Vanworx and Van Haven off the top of my head, but you’ve also got non-approved independents like Eclipse Campers and Absolu5e who are both fantastic.

There’s also a lot of real crap out there too, be ultra cautious.

I can tell you who to avoid within a 100 mile radius, in Poole, *essex Vans just in case Google suggests them.

I can recommend Cambee in South Devon. Had a conversion for two years and it’s been faultless. Friendly professional team who take to work seriously And proud of what they produce. It’s all handmade so Can be bespoked (within reason) if you want different from the standard.

Back