Conversion Advice

Louise and Vinny

We need some advice...
1. Recommendations for conversion places: We don't have the money to get a full conversion so will have to have parts done at a time and do our own few bits n pieces too if poss.
2. Order of priority: where do we start? We have an empty van. We want a pop up roof, windows, fold out bed, kitchen etc. What can we do ourselves and what will need doing by pros and in what order?

Your advice will be gratefully received.

Start off with the interior insulation and go from there. Roof, lining, leccy, bed etc

Our DIY conversion is here: T6 SWB camper build

We didn’t need a pop top, and got someone to do the windows.

Definitely start with the pop top and windows, as they need clear access to the rear of the vehicle. After that it’s insulation, wiring, lining and floor in roughly that order. The order we followed is in the above thread.

Pete

Our DIY conversion is here: T6 SWB camper build

We didn’t need a pop top, and got someone to do the windows.

Definitely start with the pop top and windows, as they need clear access to the rear of the vehicle. After that it’s insulation, wiring, lining and floor in roughly that order. The order we followed is in the above thread.

Pete
Thanks Pete! Will check the thread now. Really appreciate your advice.

..Definitely start with the pop top and windows, as they need clear access to the rear of the vehicle. After that it’s insulation, wiring, lining and floor in roughly that order..

He’s right. I laid my floor early and then regretted not giving enough consideration for wiring.
Sketch out a birds-eye view of what electrical connections you’ll have and where, identifying where you’ll run your cable. Some can run along the headlining, some along the floor.. it all depends on what you want and where.
If you run cable conduit through voids then you’ll be grateful later when you need to run another cable.

And if you’re considering underslung water tanks, talk to whoever is installing your heater (if not DIYing it) as Propex ran the gas lines for my heater slap bang where I wanted to mount an offside water tank :mad:

My simple approach. Do your homework and read plenty of excellent threads within this forum. That’s how I worked out what I wanted, how to do it, order of priority and who should do it. Budget time!!
Essentially, don’t scrimp on the infrastructure as it’ll be there for a loooong time. Gen up as much as possible so conversing with conv companies is on an even keel.
Easily DIY: sound deadening, electrics (Travelvolts pdf’s How to’s and advice) and for me Cali floor.
I had the roof, windows and lining fitted professionally. You’ll need to book early as decent companies have a 6 months wait time!
I chose a DIY furniture pack from Evo, which is fairly straightforward to fit.. threads on here.
The remaining simple stuff is up to you but it can be never ending

The main thing is to plan and have fun..

My simple approach. Do your homework and read plenty of excellent threads within this forum. That’s how I worked out what I wanted, how to do it, order of priority and who should do it. Budget time!!
Essentially, don’t scrimp on the infrastructure as it’ll be there for a loooong time. Gen up as much as possible so conversing with conv companies is on an even keel.
Easily DIY: sound deadening, electrics (Travelvolts pdf’s How to’s and advice) and for me Cali floor.
I had the roof, windows and lining fitted professionally. You’ll need to book early as decent companies have a 6 months wait time!
I chose a DIY furniture pack from Evo, which is fairly straightforward to fit.. threads on here.
The remaining simple stuff is up to you but it can be never ending

The main thing is to plan and have fun..

Top advice @Wills I second that, get pro's to do roof, windows & lowering (b14's) everything else can be DIY.
IMG_20180217_162127_01.jpg IMG_20180217_161915_01.jpg IMG_20180217_162526_01.jpg

Do you need rear seatbelt seats? If not have a look at my van conversion. Can have a kitchen pod, l shaped seating/bed for around £2k.

Hi, we start with the messy jobs, grinding/cutting, roof, cut out windows etc. Wiring, plumbing, insulation, paneling, lining, then the floor. After the lining is done then fit windows.

Rgds
Ian

Hi, we start with the messy jobs, grinding/cutting, roof, cut out windows etc. Wiring, plumbing, insulation, paneling, lining, then the floor. After the lining is done then fit windows.

Rgds
Ian
Thanks Ian! That's great advice. We can't get our roof done until the end of May/early June and Vinny is keen to get on with the work. What do you think he could get on with in the meantime if he cn't fit the roof? He's confident about the windows, but seems to think that the wiring all needs to wait until roof done hence this will hold up the rest of the project.

This is beautiful!
Is your worktop & table glittery? It's high up in my priorties list... but doesn't exist on Vinny's!!!
Great advice. Cheers!!!!

Yep a self build kit from EVO.
Great quality, even matching wood grain through all drawers & cupboards etc.

Screenshot_20190322-062116__01.jpg Screenshot_20190322-061948__01.jpg Screenshot_20190322-062048__01.jpg

Thanks Ian! That's great advice. We can't get our roof done until the end of May/early June and Vinny is keen to get on with the work. What do you think he could get on with in the meantime if he cn't fit the roof? He's confident about the windows, but seems to think that the wiring all needs to wait until roof done hence this will hold up the rest of the project.
depends on the type of roof and access for wiring. We convert in the order I said to avoid problems such as careting atond windows once fitted, it can be tricky and teh finish may not be as good as doing teh windows after. Doing the roof later will mean you have to be extra careful to cover internal parts to stop swarf, filings etc contaminating or damaging internal panels, windows etc.
Various wiring could be done if you can route avoiding the roof. You could make all side panels but not fit fully, same with floor. Sound deadening can be added. Door windows can be fitted as carpet lining does not affect these.
We often convert in stages at the customers request for budget, but it really depends on the conversion, type of units, type of roof, bed etc which will dictate the order of works. We know for example where cables/plumbing need to exit the walls for our furniture and flatpack kits.
Good luck with it.
Rgds
Ian

Back