Camper conversion - converter to register and certify?

NicNack1

Hi all,

Very new to all this and wondering if anyone can give some advice please?

We’re struggling to find the SWB VW T6 interior we like together with a low mileage and not too silly a price, so we’re considering getting a company to do a conversion with the interior and extras that we’d want.

One of the companies we’ve looked at has a reasonable price and can do what we’re looking for, but I’m a bit concerned on some of the legalities.

The person doing the conversion has advised that the vehicle won’t need to be re-registered even though it is being modified from panel van to campervan (think this is now “van with windows”). When I pressed on the point, he said that it’s something that we would register after the sale. Not sure this sounds right.

Also, the company have advised that they don’t need to provide certificates for the gas and electric installation as it’s not legally required. I’m not sure if this is correct (it seems dangerous to not have these properly certificated).

My gut feeling is saying to leave well alone, but not sure if the guy is being completely above board and that this would all be normal.

Any thoughts?
Any recommendations for someone who’s completely above board with everything?

Kind regards,
Nicky

The converter is right on both counts though.

It‘s now impossible to re-register it as a Campervan with the DVLA - there is a massive thread on this elsewhere on the forum. You need to declare that to your insurer though obviously.

Having looked at other converters, what certification do they offer ?

Pete

The converter is right on both counts though.

It‘s now impossible to re-register it as a Campervan with the DVLA - there is a massive thread on this elsewhere on the forum. You need to declare that to your insurer though obviously.

Having looked at other converters, what certification do they offer ?

Pete
Hi Pete,
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Yep…seen all the threads on here re : “Van with windows” and not “motorhome” anymore…..just seemed strange that he would expect me to re-register it and not him???
Nicky

Hi Pete,
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Yep…seen all the threads on here re : “Van with windows” and not “motorhome” anymore…..just seemed strange that he would expect me to re-register it and not him???
Nicky
….it’s currently a “panel van” and presumably N1

we took a year or so to choose our converter. We travelled around the country to see convertor workshops and went to the NEC at least twice and bus fest for a day visit. We narrowed it down to two converters and then went on customer recommendations - members of the forum - as it turned out.

I’m not sure how the conversation went, but as Pete said (and you’ve read) the DVLA will not classify them as Motorhomes - apparently to assist TfL at all with congestion charging at van rates.

If you fancy giving your conversion company your logbook, then you could ask them to send it in - but all you’re doing is placing a covering note with it to inform DVLA that it is now a van with windows.
You can write what it looks like but that’s the description you’ll get printed on the replacement logbook.

You may wish to just send it off yourself.

As for gas and electric certificates, most caravan sale / service companies will provide these upon inspection. It may be that your converter isn’t certified. I’m not, but I installed the gas cooker and electric set up on my camper.
Having a caravan expert certify means you’ve had an independent party examine the work which may well help if the converter ends up cutting corners (there’s plenty of threads on here about that, too!).

I guess you’ve searched the forum with the converters name to see if anyone else has mentioned them?

Oh and welcome to the forum!

I’m not sure how the conversation went, but as Pete said (and you’ve read) the DVLA will not classify them as Motorhomes - apparently to assist TfL at all with congestion charging at van rates.

If you fancy giving your conversion company your logbook, then you could ask them to send it in - but all you’re doing is placing a covering note with it to inform DVLA that it is now a van with windows.
You can write what it looks like but that’s the description you’ll get printed on the replacement logbook.

You may wish to just send it off yourself.

As for gas and electric certificates, most caravan sale / service companies will provide these upon inspection. It may be that your converter isn’t certified. I’m not, but I installed the gas cooker and electric set up on my camper.
Having a caravan expert certify means you’ve had an independent party examine the work which may well help if the converter ends up cutting corners (there’s plenty of threads on here about that, too!).

I guess you’ve searched the forum with the converters name to see if anyone else has mentioned them?

Oh and welcome to the forum!
Thanks Ads… all good to know. We don’t own the van at the moment. We would be buying it from someone who buys panel vans and converts them to campers, which is why I assumed that it would be on them to re-register the changes.
Just trying to check out what the “norm” would be because (as you quite rightly say) there are some horror stories on here).

Like the idea of getting an independent professional to check over before final payment is made. Thanks. X

we took a year or so to choose our converter. We travelled around the country to see convertor workshops and went to the NEC at least twice and bus fest for a day visit. We narrowed it down to two converters and then went on customer recommendations - members of the forum - as it turned out.
Thanks czmate….NEC is on our radar….hadn’t heard of bus fest….will def look into that.
We have to start touring universities soon for our daughter, so the idea is to check out various dealers etc on the way.

Can I ask who you went with in the end and if you happy with your camper?
X

N1 won't change, fixed for the life of the van.

'van with windows' is what you get when you send off the V5 with pictures, also change the number of travelling (belted) seats.

Once converted, it will be in law a 'motor caravan' and so passenger car speed limits apply, (assuming all necessary internal features in place) but you won't have anything in writing to say so.

Hi Nicky,
You're right to do your homework on this, and I too would insist on a gas safety certificate at the minimum before any money changed hands. If they cannot give you this guarantee, perhaps you should find someone who will. I have a friend who happened upon a brand new T6 from a local convertion company at around £75k (bought it on a whim!), and whilst it looks nice, it would never meet current gas safety regulations for numerous reasons;- there's no gas locker for a start, no fixed labeling, use of flexible hose only and insufficient security, no drop vents (that could be seen), etc. When I do a conversion, I like to I ensure it meets current gas safety standards, so when I hand it over (or sell it on if it's mine), I know it's as safe as it can be...and because somebody else (who's certified and knows what they're doing) has signed it off!

You don’t need to have a gas installation. A Diesel hob is far simpler and some like the Wallas XC Duo are also a combined thermostat controlled heater.
Certification for seat beds and seat swivels is very important if you want the insurance to be viable in the event of an accident.

Back